Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/24/2004, 05:18 PM
Registered Member

help on removing problem fish

i have just added a purple tang and salfin tang to my 92 gallon and one of the blue damsels that have been in there a while is attacking my purple tang and he won't fend for himself. Is there anyway to get him out without tearing the tank apart
thanks
virgil
Old 12/24/2004, 06:08 PM
Registered Member

A friend of mine built an acrylic box with a door that slides shut using a string. You also could add a tube from the box to the surface so food could be added. After the fish get accustomed to eating from the box, just wait until the problem fish enters...release the srting...and you should have your fish.
Back when I was into acrylics I should have built a few...in fact everyone with a reef tank should own one....$19.95 each or call right now and we'll doulble your order.....HA!!!
Old 12/24/2004, 06:40 PM
Registered Member

If you have/can find a clear glass vase, one shaped similar to a coke bottle, put some food in and wait. When the fish enters place your hand on top (the fish will go the to the bottom) and you'll catch him.
Old 12/24/2004, 06:49 PM
A.K.A. Wooden Nickel

I have the same problem. I have a yellow tailed dam-sel. And i have a pair of mated Maroon clowns in a 30 gallon. I am going to take out my damsel and only have 2 maroon's and coral. But the thing is, after i catch him, where do i put him?
thanks if someone can help
Old 12/24/2004, 07:13 PM
Registered Member

I use a coke bottle with the neck cut off and sliced down the sides a little. Fold those back into the bottle like flaps, tie a string to it and fill it with food. They'll go in it....
Old 12/24/2004, 07:18 PM
Premium Member

I floated a fish net in my tank 24/7 and moved it around during feedings- the fish eventually ignored the net and I was able to get my fish during a feeding. It worked on my damsel, but there is no way my tang would've fallen for it. I wasn't in a hurry to get it out, so I had the time.
Old 12/24/2004, 07:47 PM
Registered Member

Here is a link to a DIY fish trap that I know works well. I know three people that have used the plans and successfully removed problem fish within an hour.

http://www.floridadriftwood.com/fish_trap.htm

Last edited by flashmc; 12/24/2004 at 08:43 PM.
Old 12/24/2004, 08:35 PM
Registered Member

I had the same problem with two of my damsels. One morning about 5 am when they were sleeping near the overflows, I just scooped in with the net and grabbed them. They did not even know what hit them.
Old 12/24/2004, 08:38 PM
Registered Member

Spear' em. >D <-----