Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Cleveland Saltwater Enthusiast's Association (C-SEA)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/10/2008, 08:54 PM
Registered Member

Angry I Hate My Aqua Lifter!

I hate my aqua lifter! Last night i was laying in bed and heard the dreaded gergiling sound of my sump running dry! i jumped up to find a nice present for me! i swear if ths darn thing gets anything in it it stops my overflow! I tore this thing apart and found what looked like a grain of sand! I need to find a regular siphon overflow! ahhhhhh! Anyone else have this problem?
Old 01/10/2008, 09:08 PM
Registered Member

I have felt your pain, once upon a time. You are going to have constant issues from either the aqualifter or a siphon style.

This is the reason reef ready tanks exist
Old 01/10/2008, 09:12 PM
clownfish fan

Get a utube overflow.
Old 01/10/2008, 09:37 PM
Registered Member

I have a decent u tube overflow that worked well for me. I don't think I ever had a total siphon loss in a power loss. The only time I had any loss of siphon was during water changes and what not. Let me know if you might be interested.
Old 01/11/2008, 07:47 AM
Registered Member

I have used the aqua lifter for 4 years, this is my second pump, the first one lasted almost three years, I use the pre filter, change it with a clean one when needed. I have never lost siphon, and never had a problem with it starting up when the power goes out. It's a very inexspensive pump, I would try a new one and see what happens, maybe the pump is bad.
Old 01/11/2008, 08:40 AM
Registered Member

1 inch u tube overflow ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, solve the whole problem ,,,mine runs non stop, problem free ,,and it FLOWS !!!!!
Old 01/11/2008, 09:14 AM
Registered Member

U-tube here too.

My power went out last night (was out for three hours only and all seems well). The u-tube siphon did not break. I was more worried about my corals without any flow. U-tubes, in my very humble experience, only break if they begin to collect bubbles in the tube, which is easily corrected by keeping bubbles out of the tank and, more importantly, insuring there is enough flow through the tube so that any bubbles that do make it in get sucked down the other side. I have not had my overflow let me down.

The good Drs. Foster and Smith have a few to choose from in the latest catalogue. Not too expensive. The Eshopps brand.

Having said that, I will probably drill my next tank for the coast to coast style internal overflow.
Old 01/11/2008, 03:34 PM
Registered Member

i got mine from salty for ,,think it was 5 bucks
good 5 bucks spent
Old 01/11/2008, 04:09 PM
Registered Member

I thought about drilling my tank but i dont know if i want to risk it.lol it would be nice though. maybe ill give it a shot.