Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Lounge
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04/11/2007, 10:52 AM
Registered Member

Our nanny is an idiot... I'm thinking of firing her.

OMG. What a mistake she was, well.. still is, you have no idea.

She's supposed to be temporary until the nanny we intend to hire permanently can get here. Hopefully within 2 weeks.

Our current temporary nanny has hearing problem, she can't see well and she's forgetful and has no sense of time. On top of that, she's lazy and the kids don't like her.

Yesterday she forgot to pick up my 4 year old Bryan from pre-school. She was supposed to pick him up at 1PM. At 1:17 the school called me at work and said the nanny wasn't here, what to do with Bryan.

I called the nanny at home, she claim she thought the other kid's mother was going to give Bryan a ride and drop him off. But we told her in the morning that she had to pick up him up today. It wouldn't surprise me, if she was taking a nap and just lost the time.

Good help is hard to find.
Old 04/11/2007, 10:55 AM
Registered Member

THINKING of firing her?

Oh shut up, and kiss my fairy wrasse. ~Gawain1974~

silly girls make stuff hard ~drauka99~
Old 04/11/2007, 10:56 AM
Guardian of Little People

Re: Our nanny is an idiot... I'm thinking of firing her.

Quote:
Originally posted by oz

Our current temporary nanny has hearing problem, she can't see well and she's forgetful and has no sense of time. On top of that, she's lazy and the kids don't like her.
Given all that, I am confused why you would entrust her to raise your children.

Some days you're the dog, other days you're the hydrant
Old 04/11/2007, 11:01 AM
Premium Member

does she see well enough to drive?
Old 04/11/2007, 11:06 AM
Premium Member

I think I would let her go, Too bad your not in the south my daughter could help and she would like it., now that she is taking online classes this semester.

Mark

Mark
Old 04/11/2007, 11:07 AM
Registered Member

well... you see.

Our permanent nanny is supposed to come like any day now.
Long story... she's coming from Peru, we're sponsoring her to come here and work for us but she's been getting the run around from US embassy in Lima. We sent them all the documentation required, then they claim they didn't receive it, then they have it and then they don't. etc, etc, etc. The she had to follow this procedure and that, inconsistent info depending on whom you talk to over there.

In sum, we think she should be here within 2 weeks. So the dilemma is, to stick it out with this temporary nanny for a little while longer or fire her get a new temporary one for just 1 or 2 weeks.

So you see, its like we have no choice.
Old 04/11/2007, 11:11 AM
But what do I know?

Sounds to me if you keep this one, you won't have to worry about the one from Peru, you won't have any kids to take care of by the time she gets here!

"By the way Brian, nice colon." ~ Orchids
Old 04/11/2007, 11:12 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by onereefnotenuf
does she see well enough to drive?
No she can't drive. She walks half a mile to pick up our 4 year old from school. In the winter, Bryan gets a ride to and from school from other kid's mommy but now that the weather has warmed, the nanny goes to pick up Bryan.
Old 04/11/2007, 11:12 AM
Registered Member

You have a choice as to whether or not you put your children in danger. This woman sounds like a danger and she shouldn't be anywhere near your children. If the kids don't like her, there's a reason! I'd get her out of your home YESTERDAY!

Oh shut up, and kiss my fairy wrasse. ~Gawain1974~

silly girls make stuff hard ~drauka99~
Old 04/11/2007, 11:20 AM
Registered Member

Re: Re: Our nanny is an idiot... I'm thinking of firing her.

Quote:
Originally posted by BrianD
Well, back in January, we interviewed a bunch of people. We told them upfront it was temporary until the permanent nanny comes which at the time we thought mid march.

The first one worked for 2 weeks, she was fine but quited after she herself was offered a new job which was permanent for her.
May be we shouldn't have told them the job was temporary but we didn't want to decieve anyone. So she gave us a week notice.
We were in a jam. SO we hired this one whom we have also interviewed earlier also. And as I recall, during the interview, she looked good sounded good. And in the beginning, 1st couple of weeks, she was OK. As time went on, we see the real her.

And its hard to find someone willing to do the job temporarily.
Old 04/11/2007, 11:24 AM
in the bathtub

Sounds like a little leave time is in order Oz.

Ed: "I hate to tell you this Dr., but there aren't any fish in that river. In fact, there isn't any river."
Dr. Lao: "That's ok. Me no use bait."
Old 04/11/2007, 11:25 AM
Dirty Reefer

Re: Re: Our nanny is an idiot... I'm thinking of firing her.

Quote:
Originally posted by BrianD

Really.

You have a Nanny??

This is like something out of the movies or tabloids.

The Last Resort, The Eagles
Old 04/11/2007, 11:26 AM
Registered Member

Nobody has a nanny where I'm from. That concept is foreign, heheh.

My kid goes to day school, it's like play time with an educational twist to it or you could call it structured play time.

AKA *Harley Swingwood*
Old 04/11/2007, 11:32 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Fat Man
Sounds like a little leave time is in order Oz.
Yeah... I guess I might have to. But its performance evaluation time at work and we're in the middle of a re-organization.

I think you guys a re right. 1st priority is the kids.

There is no choice but to get rid of her now. Then figure out the options later.
Old 04/11/2007, 11:34 AM
Registered Member

i wouldn't care if i had to eat dirt and live in a tent. i would stay home with my children if this woman is your only choice.
Old 04/11/2007, 01:03 PM
2/08 HB first show

Why are you getting someone from Peru? I'm just curious as to why someone is coming all the way from another country?

A person can solve a lot of problems by FIRST using a QT tank.. QT all new fish.
Old 04/11/2007, 01:17 PM
Registered Member

Many reasons. let me just think out loud quickly as to why.

Because we could (but I rather not get into it) and she was highly recommended by a friend of ours.

We wanted someone who could speak spanish (and english). College educated (or at least some college). Our kids are fluent tri lingual and we want to foster the spanish language. Allen, our 7 yr old, is in a spanish imersion program at school, half day learning math and science in spanish and half day normal classes in english.

what else. We wanted someone who could drive, be a live-in, etc, etc. Accept at least a 2 year contract minimum with possibility of extending. etc, etc. Be good with kids. Good reference. Long hours.

I can't remember everything right now.
Old 04/11/2007, 01:21 PM
But what do I know?

I knew someone that did this before as well. She got to live in the US for 2 years and have a job, and a place to live while visiting here. It is sort of a win/win for each side. The parents get a mature, reponsible person to care for their children and the nanny gets to experience life in the US. It is actually pretty common.

"By the way Brian, nice colon." ~ Orchids
Old 04/11/2007, 02:09 PM
Official Bear of the Reef

Fire her. She needs to know that sub-par work is unacceptable. You'll be doing her a service.
Old 04/11/2007, 03:51 PM
in the bathtub

Quote:
Originally posted by oz
But its performance evaluation time at work ....
That would be no problem here. I just filled mine out and faxed it to the boss for his signature.

Ed: "I hate to tell you this Dr., but there aren't any fish in that river. In fact, there isn't any river."

Last edited by Fat Man; 04/11/2007 at 03:59 PM.
Old 04/11/2007, 04:03 PM
Registered Member

Can you send me a copy ? May be I can just change the name and hand in yours. Thanks.
Old 04/11/2007, 04:15 PM
Team RC Member

Take your kids to daycare: it can't be worse.

"Make haste slowly." ---Augustus.

"If anything CAN go wrong, it will, and at the worst possible moment."---St. Murphy.
Old 04/11/2007, 04:59 PM
in the bathtub

Quote:
Originally posted by oz
Can you send me a copy ? May be I can just change the name and hand in yours. Thanks.
No problem. I'll fax it to BR549.

Old 04/11/2007, 06:59 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by oz
Many reasons. let me just think out loud quickly as to why.

Because we could (but I rather not get into it) and she was highly recommended by a friend of ours.

We wanted someone who could speak spanish (and english). College educated (or at least some college). Our kids are fluent tri lingual and we want to foster the spanish language. Allen, our 7 yr old, is in a spanish imersion program at school, half day learning math and science in spanish and half day normal classes in english.

what else. We wanted someone who could drive, be a live-in, etc, etc. Accept at least a 2 year contract minimum with possibility of extending. etc, etc. Be good with kids. Good reference. Long hours.

I can't remember everything right now.

If you didn't want to raise them, why have them?
Old 04/11/2007, 07:07 PM
Geek

Accidents happen! .. like the nanny forgetting your kid

I'm 24. Married. Don't plan on having kids until I am good and ready. I realize for many it happens way before then. It sounds like you want the best for your children but if you can afford to they would probably thank you down the road to have more time with their own family than a nanny. They may even be more socially adjusted with family or a daycare unless its very common in your area.

Where I come from you either stay home with the child, find a daycare, or if your work allows it have them there for a short time (like an hour or two after school gets out)

If you're in a position where you absolutely must have help to raise them that is totally your decision too, but please consider how you might feel in 10 or 20 years working your butts off and having nice things, or sacrificing a little to have what nowadays seems to be a very rare true emotional family bond with your children.

One of my more selfish reasons for waiting to have kids is I"d like to get into my career and save and eventually be a stay at home mom for my child if I have one. My mom did it for me and loved every minute of it through the good and bad... I enjoyed it so much I'd like to do the same in the future for my family.