Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/26/2007, 10:11 PM
Registered Member

The diary of my 12G Nano deluxe

Hey everyone how's it going? Good good! Ok, so I got this tank about 6 weeks ago. I got the 12 gallon nano cube from marinedepot.com and it came with a free stand, sweet! My friend runs a LFS and he hooked me up with all my goods. I started with water, sand, and LR from an established tank and let her run for about a week or so. Everything was stable and was good to go so I started with the fun. Here is the diary of my 12G nano...

Packages we all love to get!
Photobucket

Stand is built!
Photobucket

She's ready for some sand, water, and LR
Photobucket

Ahhhhh sandstorm!!! (must have been sandman) haha
Photobucket

My aquascaping
Photobucket

(I have to submit a responce since I have too many pics!) haha
Old 12/26/2007, 10:13 PM
Registered Member

Part II

M'kay so at this point I let the tank go for about a week or 2 and checked my parameters. All was good... Had a lil algae bloom but it settled after a day. I added my clean up crew of; 5 red leg hermits, 5 astrea snails, an emerald green crab, and a blue tux urchin (which came with a metallic green mushroom worn as a hat!) I also got some mushrooms and zoos...

Red leg hermit munchin (had a torch for a few days but it was too big so I brought it back to the LFS)
Photobucket

Blue tux urchin with that shroom for a hat
Photobucket

Emerald green crab next to a blue striped purple mushroom
Photobucket

Emerald green crab again (I pinch!)
Photobucket

Aquascaping with some life...
Photobucket

Pics of my shrooms...

Metallic green mushroom, blue striped mushroom, and bluespotted red mushroom
Photobucket

Fuzzy green mushroom, and red mushrooms
Photobucket

Purple mushrooms
Photobucket
Old 12/26/2007, 10:15 PM
Registered Member

Part III

Time for some zoos...

Armor of god zoos
Photobucket

Eagle eye zoos
Photobucket

Blue (ID?) zoos
Photobucket
Old 12/26/2007, 10:16 PM
Registered Member

Part IV (sorry for all the "parts" I had too many pics for one post) LOL

Ok so after a few weeks, a few water changes, and some parameter checks, I decided to get some fish...

I love love love this fish!!! Filimented flasher wrasse, and boy does she have personality.
Photobucket

Hi fin red banded goby paired with a red banded pistol shrimp (one of the most amazing relationships I have ever seen)
Photobucket

Hi fin n shrimpy- best buds!
Photobucket

Hi fin goby checkin out the mushrooms garden
Photobucket

And of course the cats love to watch too!

Willie watching
Photobucket

Logan loves the tank!
Photobucket

That's about it for now...

I plan on gettin some more goodies soon. I wanna get a perc or osc clown, and some more zoos. Of course I want the elusive Spider-Man zoos! Ahhhh so nice! I also wanna get a cleaner shrimp and some other stuff but I just dont know I want yet! haha

Also, I am curious if I should put anything in my chambers? LR crumbles, floss, anything you guys have been using to your success... Please feel free leave comments, suggestions, and advice. All are welcome!

Here's all the info on my tank. Thanks for reading and I'll have some updates soon!

12 Gallon Nano Cube Deluxe
• 10lbs Fiji Live Rock
• 20lbs Arag Alive Aragonite Fine Reef Sand
• Sapphire Protein Skimmer (1st chamber)
• Rio 6HF Pump (3rd chamber)
• EBO-JAGER Aquarium Heater 50 watt (3rd chamber)

Clean up crew
• 5 Astrea Snails
• 6 Red Leg Hermit Crabs
• Emerald Green Crab
• Blue Tuxedo Urchin

Corals

Mushrooms
• Bluespotted Mushroom
• Bluespotted Red Mushroom (in a shell)
• Blue Striped Mushroom
• Red Mushrooms
• Metallic Green Mushrooms
• Purple Mushrooms
• Fuzzy Green Mushroom

Zoanthids
• Eagle Eye Zoos
• Blue (ID?) Zoos
• Armor of God Zoos

Fish
• Filamented Flasher Wrasse
• Hi Fin Red Banded Goby Paired with Red Banded Pistol Shrimp

Thanks again for reading!
Old 12/26/2007, 11:01 PM
Registered Member

Tank looks great!

BioCube 14
Old 12/27/2007, 07:32 AM
Killer of Giants

Yeah, great job!
Old 12/27/2007, 01:26 PM
Zoa Fanatic

That's a lot of sand!

Looking good
Old 12/27/2007, 01:30 PM
Registered Member

I wouldn't get any more fish. Since its only a 12 gallon. Looks good just go for more zoos and mushrooms will look great. Maybe add some Rics to it too.
Old 12/27/2007, 01:49 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for the comments everyone I appreciate it!

I may or may not get the clown but if I do thats the last fish I'll get but still not sure...and not for a while. I def wanna get a cleaner shrimp and maybe a fighting conch or 2...

Any suggestions on what to put in my chambers if anything? IE floss, phosphate sponge, etc..

Also, what about my urchin will he eat all my coraline algae?
Old 12/27/2007, 02:01 PM
Enjoying Life

Looking really good. I would say, filterfloss, and heater in the first compartment, bag of carbon and phosban media, and maybe some LR and your return in the third. I would just watch the temp, my fans started to crap out, and I had to go topless.

That wrasse in the next two years will get too big for that tank. You need to start planning an upgrade. 2 clownfish in that tank, some say is really pushing it.
Old 12/27/2007, 06:04 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by reefman13
Looking really good. I would say, filterfloss, and heater in the first compartment, bag of carbon and phosban media, and maybe some LR and your return in the third. I would just watch the temp, my fans started to crap out, and I had to go topless.

That wrasse in the next two years will get too big for that tank. You need to start planning an upgrade. 2 clownfish in that tank, some say is really pushing it.
Thanks Reefman13 much appreciated! Of course I'm already lookin into the next tank! Im lookin into buyin a house soon so I'll probably do it within a year or 2.

I have my saphire skimmer in chamber 1 so maybe ill throw some LR rubble in chamber 2 and/or filterfloss? Ill see what my friend suggests.

I'm also gonna pick up a cleaner shrimp and maybe some more zoos if they have anything spectacular! haha. Anyone dip their zoos before putting them in the tank? Just curious.

Thanks!
Old 12/27/2007, 09:51 PM
Zoa Fanatic

How does the saphire skimmer do?

I'm possibly buying one soon.
Old 12/27/2007, 10:04 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by zma21
How does the saphire skimmer do?

I'm possibly buying one soon.
The saphire skimmer works great. Took a day or so to break in but works just fine. I empty it once a week or so but no complaints.
Old 12/27/2007, 10:16 PM
Registered Member

Just got back from the LFS and I picked up some new friends. I got a cleaner shrimp, 2 fighting conchs, and some atomic green zoos. Im acclimating everything right now but I'll post some updates later, with pics.
Old 12/27/2007, 11:41 PM
Registered Member

UPDATE!

After some acclimating I put in my new friends. The cleaner shrimp and some atomic green zoos! Here are some pics enjoy

Didn't add anything in the chambers yet. Still unsure... Hmmmm

Cleaner shrimp
Photobucket

Atomic green zoos
Photobucket

FTS
Photobucket
Old 12/28/2007, 02:56 AM
Registered Member

Awsome tank! What is your lighting schedule?
Old 12/28/2007, 08:06 AM
Registered Member

Looking good... I need to get my nano set back up soon I hope
Old 12/28/2007, 11:08 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by zhenjw
Awsome tank! What is your lighting schedule?
Thanks zhenjw!

I have the 2 36W PC and they go on at 3pm and they shut off at 12! 9 hours total has been workin just fine. Once in a while i'll put the LED's on after the lights turn off.
Old 12/28/2007, 11:46 AM
Registered Member

Cool . Does your model come with the led and PC lighting on separate plugs?
Old 12/28/2007, 11:55 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Cool . Does your model come with the led and PC lighting on separate plugs?
NO! I wish it did though. When I want to put on my LED's on I have to turn my timer on manually, then turn the PC's off and then the LED's on! A PAIN IN THE ARSE but it looks cool when I do!

I may upgrade the lights in the next year or so or I may just leave it all alone untill the next tank! Only time will tell! Haha

Old 12/28/2007, 11:57 AM
Registered Member

RE the compartments:

I'm slowly taking out the filter sponges in my first compartment and replacing it with live rock. In the second, I cut out the black backing(really easy to remove) and put in LEDs for a chaeto fuge. In the third compartment I also have my heater, as well as a small bag of activated carbon. Also going to replace the pump, which gives ok flow but could be stronger. BTW, make sure you check that little bugger for clogs! Esp with chaeto....its like pulling wads of hair out of your drain. Yeck LOL.
Old 12/28/2007, 12:09 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
RE the compartments:

I'm slowly taking out the filter sponges in my first compartment and replacing it with live rock. In the second, I cut out the black backing(really easy to remove) and put in LEDs for a chaeto fuge. In the third compartment I also have my heater, as well as a small bag of activated carbon. Also going to replace the pump, which gives ok flow but could be stronger. BTW, make sure you check that little bugger for clogs! Esp with chaeto....its like pulling wads of hair out of your drain. Yeck LOL.
Sounds pretty good to me! Why'd you cut the backing, for more room?

I think as of now all I am going to do is have my Saphire skimmer in chamber 1, then some LR in chamber 2, and my heater and return pump in chamber 3. I upgraded my pump to the Rio 6HF and it works quite well! Plenty of flow

Too bad my LED's are on the same plug or I'd use them more!
Old 12/28/2007, 12:16 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by gregrocks79
NO! I wish it did though. When I want to put on my LED's on I have to turn my timer on manually, then turn the PC's off and then the LED's on! A PAIN IN THE ARSE but it looks cool when I do!

I may upgrade the lights in the next year or so or I may just leave it all alone untill the next tank! Only time will tell! Haha

Yeah I have the same problem. I just pulled the entire lighting compartment open to straighten the LEDs yesterday...3hrs maybe? Then I go to plug everything into a timer and realize I can't have an automated alternate lighting schedule. Haha. Anyway a fellow RC member suggest I split the wire and make a separate plug. Looks like another tinkering project for my winter break .
Old 12/28/2007, 12:19 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by gregrocks79
Thanks zhenjw!

I have the 2 36W PC and they go on at 3pm and they shut off at 12! 9 hours total has been workin just fine. Once in a while i'll put the LED's on after the lights turn off.
Oops I meant the lights were 2 24W 50/50.
Old 12/28/2007, 12:21 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Yeah I have the same problem. I just pulled the entire lighting compartment open to straighten the LEDs yesterday...3hrs maybe? Then I go to plug everything into a timer and realize I can't have an automated alternate lighting schedule. Haha. Anyway a fellow RC member suggest I split the wire and make a separate plug. Looks like another tinkering project for my winter break .
Oh man after the 3 hours of work and you can't do whatcha want! Dang!

Let me know how the extra plug project works for ya. I'd LOVE to do the same thing so well see it goes for you then maybe I'l do it too! hehe