Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/26/2007, 11:16 AM
Premium Member

Post LFS Selling boxed water???

Has anyone seen or used the LFS boxed saltwater? It says all the parameters are already complete, just add and heat. I think it was by instant ocean.... at petco...
Old 12/26/2007, 12:47 PM
Premium Member

ive seen it but never used it, usually its way more expensive than mixing your own, over time your own RO/DI and saltmix will save you money, other than that it would be fine to use
Old 12/26/2007, 01:09 PM
Premium Member

When I upgraded my sum from 30 to 65 gal. I used about 18 gallons of it. I also got it at cost and also discounted. I really didnt notice anything different.
Old 12/26/2007, 01:15 PM
Registered Member

i have seen the petco version but an wary of it since it said something about no elements added
and that seems silly
Old 12/26/2007, 02:32 PM
Registered Member

i used it before i got my ro/di unit... petco no longer sells the instant ocean brand now tho only the petco brand water but its really the same thing
Old 12/26/2007, 02:34 PM
Team RC Member

Quote:
Originally posted by weaselslucks
i have seen the petco version but an wary of it since it said something about no elements added
and that seems silly
All the boxed water i've seen for sale has been natural sea water, so no additional elements or additives needed. it'll have natural sea water levels of these things, or at least it should.

Click on my homepage to be taken to my RC Blog!
Old 12/26/2007, 03:14 PM
clams are your friends.

Quote:
Originally posted by papagimp
All the boxed water i've seen for sale has been natural sea water, so no additional elements or additives needed. it'll have natural sea water levels of these things, or at least it should.
+1 on this. Also, the boxed NSW has a lot of other trace elements that are lacking or completely absent from mixes.

I rencently used about 80 gallons of the Petco brand NSW for some water changes on my tanks when I was in a bind. I can vouch for it's quality. In fact, it's probably better than what I make myself, but it's too $$$.

I think all the brands you are seeing in the stores are simply re-packaged Catalina Water widely available in So Cal. I used that stuff for the first 2 years I was in the hobby and it's great. My guess is they are simply boxing it and sell it wholesale to retailers who can apply their own branding. The Aquatic Gardens brand boxed NSW says it comes from the Catalina Water Company right on the box.

Also, someone else on this site (can't remember the username, sorry) recently sent some of the Petco NSW to a testing company and it passed with flying colors. Alkalinity was a bit high, but nothing that would be a problem with a partial water change.

So have no fear, it's perfectly safe and likely superior to what you could make yourself. If I could afford to use boxed NSW exclusively I would.
Old 12/26/2007, 04:32 PM
Registered Member

oh cool thats good to know then if i every really need it. may be it was the wording they used that freaked me out
Old 12/26/2007, 05:14 PM
Registered Member

just throwing this in.

it's perfect. when my lfs has it on sale for $5 for 5 gallons, i buy about $100 worth. What could be better than "Just Add Heat"
Old 12/26/2007, 06:47 PM
Premium Member

Were every you are getting that is cheap are you sure its the same as he was talking about. Ive seen 2 gallons going for about $12
Old 12/26/2007, 11:03 PM
Premium Member

Nope good price it was on sale and with petco discount it was cheaper than I thought. (NSW 5 gallon box)