Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/16/2007, 09:02 PM
Premium Member

What size/dimension sump would you recommend for a 750 gal?

I would like to find out how much space and # gallons you feel is ideal for a large tank. The tank will be 10 ft. x 4 ft x 30 inch high, 2 overflows.
I ordered it so the overflows will handle up to 3000 gph each. (in case I need it)

I would like a refugium compartment in the sump, as well as space for skimmer, chiller pump, reactors, and probes, filter pads, etc.

What would be the ideal fuge size, as well as overall sump size? Should I just get as big of a sump as I can fit?

Thanks in advance for the input.
Old 11/17/2007, 03:07 AM
Registered Member

Bigger the better. Look at Melev's designs and up size the style you like.
Old 11/17/2007, 08:20 AM
Registered Member

I am running a 90 gallon sump in my basement. Two tanks upstairs a 120 and a 125. I have close to 2000gph through my sump and it has been a hassle with micro bubbles. Point of my post is, if you are gonna try to use your 3000 gallon O/F you need a large sump.
Old 11/17/2007, 09:46 AM
Registered Member

Go as big as you can. It will provide the most flexability.
Old 11/17/2007, 10:57 AM
Premium Member

Thanks for the advice. I will check out the site and decide on the biggest dimensions I can accommodate.

Do any of you feel like you went too big with your sump? I mean space that you used for your sump that you would have rather used for something else?
Old 11/17/2007, 02:36 PM
Registered Member

i personally try to do at lest half my display volume for the sump if not bigger there is no such thing as too big, and i learned the hard way about running too much volume through the sump causing microbubble, slow your water down in the sump and add a closed loop to the display to maximize efficiency of flow in the display and to maximize the time your water has to react with the algaes in youf fuge that way it will filter better
Old 11/17/2007, 06:23 PM
Registered Member

I have a 180 gallon sump for my 327 gallon tank. It is definitely NOT too big...

I concur with everyone else, you can't go too big.
Old 11/17/2007, 09:18 PM
Registered Member

I have a 125 gallon sump on my 525 and I wish I went bigger. Go with at least 250 IMO.

Vic
Old 11/18/2007, 11:11 AM
Pingy Pingy!

Quote:
Originally posted by sugartooth
Thanks for the advice. I will check out the site and decide on the biggest dimensions I can accommodate.

Do any of you feel like you went too big with your sump? I mean space that you used for your sump that you would have rather used for something else?
Back when I started before my frag and 180, I had just my 58 plumed into a 100 gallon sump. So yes, my sump was larger than my display. The only downside I can see is all the less obvious issues you have with more water. More salt to buy, larger heaters to get it up to temp, larger water changing systems, etc. In turn there are some good things as well. If you're running lots of MH, it's more water to heat before potentially needing a chiller to kick on. More room for a refuge.

Personally, I say the bigger the better, without going out of control. I would probably do at least 200 gallons if it was my setup at minimum.
Old 11/19/2007, 01:26 AM
Premium Member

Thanks very much.
I am now trying to decide between a 6 ft. x 3 ft. x28" or 8 ft.x3ft.x28" sump.