Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Southern California Reefers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10/02/2007, 01:47 PM
Network Samurai

Ever think about leaving the hobby?

I think about leaving the hobby everyday it seems. I love this hobby, but with a young family and a tired wife, it's hard to keep things going. I also run our club website, work 50 hour weeks in IT, restore our house and attend countless family functions.

Today I had a tank almost crash on me. I was able to save everything, and it wasnt my prized collection, but it makes me think twice about investing too much into the hobby and not enough into what should really matter to me.

I'm not giving up yet, as I am finally past the "doing it cheap" phase and getting into the "doing it right" phase.

I try and involved the family as much as possible with the hobby, and it can be such a learning experience for my young boys. I just hope it doesnt end up hurting them in the long run.

So, my usual "denial" of my reef habit goes like this:

1) My time/money/energy could be better spent elsewhere.
2) Maybe I should sell off the livestock and store my investment in equipment for a later date.
3) Maybe I should downsize everything to the nano.
4) The electricity bill really isnt THAT bad.
5) I do deserve to have the BIG tank, dammit.
6) The kids/wife/house can wait. Oooh! Look! My ricordia split again!

All joking aside, I cant be the only one!