Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/12/2007, 04:17 PM
TRC Leader

Quote:
Originally posted by neelix
Hard to tell, looks like cyano and maybe hair algae???
I would say the same.
Old 12/14/2007, 06:03 AM
Registered Member

When I read this thread I got new hope to kill the bryopsis in my tank. At the moment bryopsis grows only on few places at the liverocks, but I'm afraid it would be more in several months. I tried everything from Tridacia crispata to other algae eaters - but without success. The I tried the Kalkwasser method and raised the pH to 8,6 - this was successfull, but I saw, that most of my SPS-Corals didn't like this method. So I was surprised about this alternative method of raising the Mg-Level.

Before I started to raise up the Mg-level I messured the following water parameters:

pH: 8,3-8,4
KH: 7-8 dH°
Ca: 430 mg/l
Mg: 1390 mg/l
NO3: 0 mg/l
PO4: 0,024 mg/l

The tank is 66 gallon(US) tank with mostly SPS-corals. I have high water movement, skimmer and a DSB-system. I'm content with the coral growing and the colors of my corals. The lightning is 6x39 Watt T5 with 3 ATI aquablue sp. and 3 Blue plus.

I started now to raise up my Mg for one week with Tropic Marin Bio Magnesium, because I used this product before to hold my Mg-level on recommanded level.

Now the Mg-level is about 1700 mg/l and Ca is raised up to 480 mg/l. The corals are all looking good - no bleaching or other negative efects. But Bryopsis is growing happy like before.
Should I raise up the Mg-level slowly higher to 1900 or 2000 mg/l or should I wait and hold the level to 1700 mg/l ?

Maybe the TropicMarin Bio Magnesium hasn't the same effect like the Tech M, but I don't really think so. So if it doesn't work with the Tropic Marin I would start again after a while with the Tech M and I would inform you again about the result. I hope I would work!

Sudad
Old 12/14/2007, 07:17 PM
Registered Member

ummm. i started raising my mg with epsom salt about a week ago i add 2 cups per day and already finished 2 containers, and i am only about 1500ppm and i think it might be slowely feeding this stuff im gertting a huge outbreak of it lately. Do you need to raise the tank ppm quickly? like 100 per day? cause i think this slow increase its feeding off it? someone please advise that had luck with epsom slat alone, thanks. Or do i need to go get tech m? from this point out.

Also i have a 120 gallon tank, it says 1ml per galllon thats for me 120 mls to raise it 18? inother wards a half gallon that has roughly 480ml i can only raise the tank about 80ppm for 14.99? can that be correct? seems so exspensive to raise using tech m?

god i hate this stufff....!!!!!!!
Old 12/14/2007, 08:38 PM
Flea Slide

Quote:
Originally posted by frezel
ummm. i started raising my mg with epsom salt about a week ago i add 2 cups per day and already finished 2 containers, and i am only about 1500ppm and i think it might be slowely feeding this stuff im gertting a huge outbreak of it lately. Do you need to raise the tank ppm quickly? like 100 per day? cause i think this slow increase its feeding off it? someone please advise that had luck with epsom slat alone, thanks. Or do i need to go get tech m? from this point out.

Also i have a 120 gallon tank, it says 1ml per galllon thats for me 120 mls to raise it 18? inother wards a half gallon that has roughly 480ml i can only raise the tank about 80ppm for 14.99? can that be correct? seems so exspensive to raise using tech m?

god i hate this stufff....!!!!!!!
If you only use Epsom Salts for such an increase your Sulphate Ion will increase too much in proportion to the Chloride and Sodium Ions.
Try adding either Tech-M or use Magnesium Chloride (MagFlake) mixed with Epsom.
Old 12/14/2007, 09:00 PM
Registered Member

i also noticed my nitrates were back up again to 25ppm, i dunno whats causing this spike, im not overfeeding etc, I think i might remove all my sand to eleminate all sources of nutrietnts for this bryopsis, ill bump up my skimmer and im gonna throw some phosguard into my reactor.
Old 12/14/2007, 09:28 PM
Flea Slide

Quote:
Originally posted by frezel
i also noticed my nitrates were back up again to 25ppm, i dunno whats causing this spike, im not overfeeding etc, I think i might remove all my sand to eleminate all sources of nutrietnts for this bryopsis, ill bump up my skimmer and im gonna throw some phosguard into my reactor.
I do not really know what could have increased the nitrates but hava a couple of posibilities...

a) Ammonia contamination in the salts which is not unheard off, no problem for the normal use of Epsom but an issue in aquariums, usually that causes no problem with normal dosing but in the required quantities to increase Mg that much that can be a problem

b) Some algae dying reducing Nitrate consumption causing a cycle bloom of other algae.

c) Increase Magnesium (or sulphate) interfering with the kit reading.
Old 12/15/2007, 12:29 PM
Registered Member

ok im done with epsom salt off to lfs to get me some tech m
Old 12/15/2007, 12:38 PM
Premium Member

I realized my earlier pictures were ambiguous...hopefully these are better. Is this a candidate for the Magnesium method?

Check out my little red house above for pics
Old 12/15/2007, 04:24 PM
TRC Leader

I hate to do this to you, but really the best way to see it is for you to lay it out on some white paper towels. That will provide a crisp clear picture of the algae.

That just looks like cud to me right now.
Old 12/16/2007, 10:50 AM
Premium Member

Soooo....I don't need to post a picture. In fact, I can't.

I woke up this morning and it was gone.

I've been raising Mg to 1500 for the last 4 days with Tech-M (started at around 1250). Yesterday I hit it. This morning the patches are gone. I can't find a trace of it anymore, except for one small patch that I was able to suck out with a baster.

Color me stunned, frankly. I mean, I've read the entire thread and the success stories, but I've been battling this crap for so long that part of me was very skeptical that it would work for me.

It's very bittersweet...fantastic that it helps me now, but I wish I'd found this thread before I started losing corals, then ripped up my old tank in order to take out the DSB and dump all the rock. Ah, well...

So far the only noticeable issue is one frag bleaching, lost a lot of its color. To be honest, I don't even know what this is...picked it up as a frag in a swap. Anyone know what it is?

So, some questions:

- How long does the effect last? Do we leave the Mg this high for a while? Forever? There doesn't seem to be a consensus on this thread.

- Anyone notice a problem in being able to keep the Mg high? I don't know if it's a real problem for me, but I reached 1500, and kept adding Mg for the last day and a half (I've been raising by 50 twice a day), but Mg is still around 1520-1540. It's working, obviously, but just seems to be an odd effect for me.

I should note that alk has been steady (around 8), and Ca has not spiked (around 425), so the Mg raise didn't seem to affect those.

Again, I'm pretty impressed...where do I send the check?

Arthur

P.S. Kent should think about using this as an ad campaign...

Old 12/16/2007, 11:45 PM
Flea Slide

Quote:
Originally posted by boobookitty
Arthur

P.S. Kent should think about using this as an ad campaign...
Do you realy think they know what is in there that may kill the algae? If they do they will not sell it as Tech-M, too cheap
They will probably prepare another solution... BryoBeGone II
Old 12/17/2007, 05:19 PM
Registered Member

ok, so far my mg is at 1850 with tech -m today is day 2? and still nothing here are shots of what i think are bryopsis.. Can anyone confirm this, and if it how long does it take for the tech m to work.

Old 12/17/2007, 05:34 PM
TRC Leader

frezel - Yes, that looks like bryopsis to me.

boobookitty - If you kill it off, the most likelihood is it will not return. Sure, things happen and you may see it again one day, but odds are you'll erradicate it from the system. After all, many years ago I had GHA in my tank, and after getting rid of it, I've never had to deal with it again.

I did have bryopsis a few years ago and it was a 6 month battle without any knowledge of a chemical solution. I picked off a lot of it, and bought a lot of snails & nudibranchs. It eventually died away.

Once you've finished with this vile weed, let the Magnesium lower back to a normal level as there is no reason to keep it elevated any longer.
Old 12/17/2007, 05:56 PM
Registered Member

currently my levels are

alk 13dkh
ca at 300
mg at 1800
nitrates 20ppm
ph 8.2

i think between this epsom salt and tech m my leves are so out of wack, i tried to do a water change a few days ago but i guess the new water was so low in mg that it parciptated out causing a cloudiness and snow storm, im scared to do anything now. I am not really sure what to do. Currently everything in tank is doing well i think....Can anyone tell me how long i should keep trating tank with tech-m or how long it will take for effects to occur. Oh and shoud i be manually removing this stuff as well as dosing? thanks sorry, im just freaking out as this tank is 12 years old and packed with nice corals i have collected over the years and i can see nothing but an unhappy ending...
Old 12/17/2007, 06:13 PM
Premium Member

That alk is really high and Ca is really low...is that intentional?

I would spend a week or two getting things back to normal if possible...daily water changes, try to get alk back to around 8 or 9, Ca at around 400-450. Let Mg get back to a "normal" level, then use Tech-M to raise to around 1500.

Don't rush any of this...only bad things happen fast in a reef tank. I sometimes think that's why I've been stricken with this hobby...to learn patience. It's working...somewhat.

Arthur

Old 12/17/2007, 06:23 PM
Registered Member

Frezel, those are great photos and that is definitely bryopsis. I wouldn't worry that you don't see a change on day 2. I didn't notice a huge change until around day 4 when I got mine to over 1600ppm with Tech M. I'd wait a bit longer.
Old 12/17/2007, 06:40 PM
TRC Leader

Is it only me that was surprised that boobookitty ended up being a person named Arthur?

I agree, don't focus on Mg right now. Get your alk down (don't dose anything) and raise Calcium gradually until things are closer to normal. Your livestock needs the normal parameters to be able to handle a spike such as the Mg dosing.
Old 12/17/2007, 06:43 PM
Premium Member

Anyone get the "boobookitty" reference? Anyone? hint: it's from a 70's TV sitcom.

Yah, I'm male, or so my wife tells me.

Arthur

Old 12/17/2007, 07:20 PM
Registered Member

great since this is your thread i will honor your word and let it ride
Old 12/17/2007, 07:38 PM
WTMRAC Bean Counter

Quote:
Originally posted by boobookitty
Anyone get the "boobookitty" reference? Anyone? hint: it's from a 70's TV sitcom.

Arthur
Shirley's Kitty!!!

of Laverne and Shirley fame

hmmmmm.... now we need to figure out what that says about you ..............

Old 12/17/2007, 07:48 PM
Premium Member

I'm a child of the 70's...Happy Days, Laverne and Shirley, Barney Miller, The Bob Newhart Show...these were my guides into the teenage years. Always liked Shirley better than Laverne...now what does *that* say about me?

Old 12/17/2007, 10:55 PM
Registered Member

oh man i dunno whats going on in tank but tonight corals are not happy, for some reason the SG crept up to 1.030, and alk is way high like 13dkh, is this normal, will this effect anything? so far my hammer and zoos are ****ed, do u advise a water change? to knock levels back to norm or let this ride, snails seem abit sluggish as well.........
Old 12/17/2007, 11:03 PM
TRC Leader

Actually, I would recommend you pull out 5 gallons of salt water and replace it with 5 gallons of RO/DI water. Wait a few hours, test salinity, and repeat as necessary.

Epsons Salt will raise salinity, something that has been mentioned a few times in this thread. You definitely want your salinity back at 1.026 sg. You may need to retest after the salinity is stable to see what your Mg, Alk, and Ca are.
Old 12/17/2007, 11:34 PM
Registered Member

ok will get sg back to norm, and re test in morning, ill report what my levels are in the morning, thanks for the prompt response
Old 12/18/2007, 09:57 AM
Registered Member

ok sepnt the entire night on couch, i changed 5 gallons of water in tank every 2 hours until levels came down from 1.030 to 1.026 which was about 30 gallons in my systme of rodi. Also my new levels are as followed

Mg 1550
alk 12
sg 1.026
ca 350

so what do u guys recomned?

1. i am figuring raising MG about 50 points, or 100?
2. Shoulkd i bother raising the CA? personally im not sure if the mg will just parcipitate out the CA

im assuming from what i gather that a level of 1650's ish is where i want my MG at.

thanks again for helping me and i will be sitting anxiously by my computer for a reply...