Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/31/2007, 02:12 PM
Registered Member

JR, you say you are using your return pump to feed the skimmer, but you had to fit the return dart with a pin wheel impeller? Is the return pump teed off to feed your skimmer and the tank? Also how difficult is the reeflow to dial in? Have you had to re-adjust or tweek once you cleaned the collection cup?

Brent
Old 12/31/2007, 02:15 PM
Registered Member

My return Pump is a standard Dart with a Tee and valve to feed the skimmer. You can see the feed from the Dart at the bottom of the photo.

Old 12/31/2007, 08:19 PM
Registered Member

what a BEAST!! I love that skimmer~!
Old 12/31/2007, 10:22 PM
Registered Member

I think I missed something here how can we find the reef flow skimmers? on line?
Old 01/01/2008, 01:58 AM
Registered Member

I got mine from Reef Specialty and would recommend them, Premium also has them.
Old 01/03/2008, 01:37 PM
Registered Member

JR did you cut the overflow pipe down or use the shorter pipe? Just got mine UPS and it has poor instructions. If you did cut the pipe to what hight do they suggest? Thanks
Old 01/03/2008, 02:00 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bonez
JR did you cut the overflow pipe down or use the shorter pipe? Just got mine UPS and it has poor instructions. If you did cut the pipe to what hight do they suggest? Thanks
I cut mine down to 7inches. Welcome to the club.
Old 01/03/2008, 02:02 PM
Registered Member

Thanks a million.
Old 01/03/2008, 03:49 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Thanks a million.
No problem, now Lets see some pics.
Old 01/03/2008, 08:19 PM
Registered Member

I think it has finally broken in. Now I will be making adjustments like seeing how much water this thing can handle.

Neck measurement
Old 01/04/2008, 05:58 PM
Registered Member

JR you were a great help for me setting up my reeflo 200 thanks. Some of the simple questions that have long lasting effects. I bought from Premium wish I bought from Mike@RS. I had one very serious fitment problem. The fitting that screw into the pump housing where the air valve is attached was on the bottom when tight. No amount of teflon tape would fix. I call Preminm they said they had no clue and no one else had this problem, can't believe I'm the lucky one. I have a woodworking shop and had to use a 12" flat disk sander on the face of the pump housing to allow the fitting to screw in more so the opening would be up. I know in this hobby you have to learn to fix alot, but with out the right tool to fix this problem you have $850 box of parts and no support. On the brighter side this is one monster skimmer. A few photos of the first start up with salt water. So now with it working on breaking in I have to redo the wiring and some more plumbing to make it look nice.
Photo to follow I have to resize to big.
Old 01/04/2008, 06:24 PM
Charleston Reefer

Wow your new skimmer had that big of problem. why didnt you contect ocra? I'm sure that guy would help you out. PA is just the a retailer BTW.
Old 01/06/2008, 07:41 PM
I think I love my tank

Quote:
JR you were a great help for me setting up my reeflo 200 thanks. Some of the simple questions that have long lasting effects. I bought from Premium wish I bought from Mike@RS. I had one very serious fitment problem. The fitting that screw into the pump housing where the air valve is attached was on the bottom when tight. No amount of teflon tape would fix. I call Preminm they said they had no clue and no one else had this problem, can't believe I'm the lucky one.
Same problem here too, though not quite as bad. I really put my shoulder into it and got the valve to about a 10 o'clock position.
I got the riser tube cut down and I'm impressed already.
Longnose Hawkfish
Magnificent Rabbitfish
Diamond Goby
Blond Naso Tang
Bluechin Trigger

I got the poo on me.
Old 01/06/2008, 08:23 PM
Registered Member

I had to use almost a full roll of teflon tape and multiple tries to get the venturi positioned right. But with a roll of teflon it works great.

I ALSO WANT FUTURE OWNERS OF THE SKIMMER TO CUT THE PIPE BETWEEN THE OUTPUT OF THE SKIMMER AND THE TEE FITTING TO 7 INCHES OR SHORTER.
Old 01/06/2008, 08:54 PM
Registered Member

Did you build that skimmer cabinet? Looks real good beside the tank, I might have to steal that idea!
Old 01/06/2008, 09:08 PM
Registered Member

hey guys its me again... I still cant find these skimmers on-line?
R.S. has their site down for renovation. I wanted to find a few sites where I could read up on them and price compare. Any of you have a link?

Lucky
Old 01/06/2008, 10:30 PM
Registered Member

JRaquatics:

also another question, for future set up.
I think your return pump feeds this skimmer?
If so, where does your skimmer return line dump? In the sump again? If so this would alow a portion of it to be skimmed twice right? If so and seeing your head of foam I assume draining there doesn't matter?
sorry for the question session but the info. is nice to have

Lucky
Old 01/06/2008, 10:43 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by minireef30
Did you build that skimmer cabinet? Looks real good beside the tank, I might have to steal that idea!
Thanks, I did build it myself. It houses the skimmer perfectly, it beats placing it under the stand IMO.
Old 01/06/2008, 10:48 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Lucky-rc
JRaquatics:

also another question, for future set up.
I think your return pump feeds this skimmer?
If so, where does your skimmer return line dump? In the sump again? If so this would alow a portion of it to be skimmed twice right? If so and seeing your head of foam I assume draining there doesn't matter?
sorry for the question session but the info. is nice to have

Lucky
I do have my skimmer emptying into my sump and is supplied through my return pump. Truthfully it is no different than a skimmer dumping its output next to the skimmer like Euroreef, BM, octos and others skimmers. Plus I have such a high turnover rate through my sump using the dart for my return that the water become diluted anyways.
Old 01/07/2008, 10:49 AM
Registered Member

Ok, thanks.
I racked my brain on this...lol
I could not think of any harm in dumping back in the sump. But with this much of a skimmer I wanted to make sure.
Lucky
Old 01/07/2008, 11:28 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Lucky-rc
Ok, thanks.
I racked my brain on this...lol
I could not think of any harm in dumping back in the sump. But with this much of a skimmer I wanted to make sure.
Lucky
Wouldn't even worry about it. You will be amazed with what this skimmer pulls out. I have a very small bioload and still pull out nasty sludge. I can't wait till I get more fish in.
Old 01/07/2008, 07:47 PM
Registered Member

OK! I just got my 200 today (as well as an ACIII, geo kalk reactor, and wavy sea) and i have a few questions. First, it seams to me that the collection cup does not attach besides sitting on the skimmer body. will it fall over and is there a way to get it to attach better??? also could i cut hte extension tube down to like 6" and put a true union ball valve on the t to adjust water level??? and those who use ozone...where are you adding it from?
Thanks a lot!
Old 01/07/2008, 08:11 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by roktsintst
OK! I just got my 200 today (as well as an ACIII, geo kalk reactor, and wavy sea) and i have a few questions. First, it seams to me that the collection cup does not attach besides sitting on the skimmer body. will it fall over and is there a way to get it to attach better??? also could i cut hte extension tube down to like 6" and put a true union ball valve on the t to adjust water level??? and those who use ozone...where are you adding it from?
Thanks a lot!
The collection cup fits snuggly into the body by O-ring. You can place a ball valve onto the the output if desired. Mike at Reef Specialty drilled a hole in the silencer on his personal Reeflo 250 and place the output of the ozone into it.
Old 01/07/2008, 08:19 PM
Registered Member

so your retun pump feeding the tank and skimmer does not have the NW? I thought the ORCAs required the dart nw?

Brent
Old 01/07/2008, 08:22 PM
Registered Member

My return pump is a regular dart pump that feeds the skimmer. The skimmer itself has a Modified NW dart pump. So in all I am running 2 dart pumps, one NW and one standard impeller.