Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/25/2006, 09:25 PM
Premium Member

Here are some pics of the plumbing

Old 07/25/2006, 09:32 PM
Premium Member

And here are some shots of the plumbing in the overflows. I built durso drains (nothing new or special) and fitted them with cages to prevent curious tank inhabitants from gettin sucked into the drain. The return lines terminate in loc line. All the pvc is 1 1/4" thin walled PVC. I chose this cause the pvc had a smaller OD compared to 1 1/2" but since it was thin walled the ID was 1/16" shy of a full 1 1/2".

More pics to come as I get the auto topoff setup, my calcium reactor setup, my aquacontroller JR setup, and my kalkwasser reactor setup. I am expecting the arrival of 170 pounds of MArshall Island and Kaelini LR from premium aquatics tomorrow.
Old 07/25/2006, 11:17 PM
Burning Down the Couch!

Very nice looking setup this is going to be sweet

There is no such thing as global warming. Chuck Norris was cold, so he turned the sun up!!!!!!

Here we go STEELERS here we go!
Old 07/26/2006, 12:31 AM
Premium Member

That setup is great, looking foward to seeing the pics with the rock in there
Old 07/26/2006, 11:57 AM
Premium Member

I can't wait, my rock is supposed to be here to day
Old 07/26/2006, 04:39 PM
Registered Member

rly nice layout i cant wait to see more
Old 07/26/2006, 05:49 PM
Premium Member

Nice setup and documentation. It is very close to my plan only about two months ahead of me.

I have to say that I really appreciate the cleanliness of your glue application on the PVC pipe. It is so easy to slop that stuff on to "be sure it's enough" but it takes attention to detail to minimize the spillage.

I will be starting a thread on my setup as soon as I figure out the problems on my DIY skimmer. Sheesh, thought I would save a few bucks and relish in the satisfaction of doing it myself but I am starting to think I could have saved money by plopping the cash for the factory model.

Carry on Brother, I will be staying tuned here.
Old 07/26/2006, 05:54 PM
2b1ask1

Man this looks good. It makes me so jealous that people have time, money and energy to devote to it. Very nice.
Old 07/26/2006, 06:00 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by six.line
Man this looks good. It makes me so jealous that people have time, money and energy to devote to it. Very nice.
An Aggie! Good for you.

But . . . it does make me jealous that all you have to do is study and (maybe) work partime knowing that you will only have to worry about a real job after graduation.

Just kidding. I am so happy to be out of school, but there are parts that were nice.
Old 07/26/2006, 06:08 PM
Keeper of Tangs

great job so far
Old 07/26/2006, 06:09 PM
2b1ask1

lol

I do work part time... well, I waste time at work on reefcentral.
Old 07/26/2006, 06:29 PM
Registered Member

sweet
Old 07/26/2006, 07:50 PM
Premium Member

Thanks for all the compliments guys. This has been a lobaor of love, blood, sweat, tears, and aggravation ... but I must say it has been worth the effort and planning cause it is really coming together nicely.

Now for some bad news. I got my LR from Premium Aquatics today and I must say that I am less than thrilled with it. After reading all the great feedback on their website and all the great feedback here, I was rather dissappointed when I opened my boxes of rock today and found two boxes of Marshal Island uncured rock .. ghost white. No coralline ...very little apparent life. The rock looks like dead base rock that I could have gotten here locally at one of our crap LFS. The third was a box of Kaelini, that did at least .. the very least ... have SOME coralline growth, but little else.

Maybe this is what uncured rock is supposed to look like ... but I kind of doublt it. I cured my own rock for my last tank and the uncured fiji I bought had all kinds of purple coralline and plant life on it.

Some positives ... their customer service was great. I asked for several larger "show pieces" and I did receive some nice sized rock with interesting shapes and lots of caves/holes. Overall, however, I am disappointed as I was expecting something better than I got.
Old 07/27/2006, 11:18 AM
Premium Member

More good news ... . After posting the above message I was staring into my tank ... looking over my snow white rocks ... and the more I looked the more I starting thinking ... this really doesn't look like 170 pounds of rock to me. Wait a minute ... wasn't there supposed to be four boxes of rock? .... not three?

Sure enough I double check the packing slip and there WERE supposed to be four boxes. So where was the fouth box? I check UPS tracking and they have it listed as on the truck out for delivery. So I guess the driver didn't drop it off. Now I can't wait to see what uncured rock smells like after being out of the water for aver three days.
Old 07/30/2006, 06:12 PM
Premium Member

Well, PA comes through. They offered to ship me an additional box of cured MArshall Island rock with great coralline growth in order to seed the previous rock shipment when it is done curing.

As for the tank, the filling is complete. The cycle of 170 pounds of uncured Marshall Island and Kaelini rock has begun. I am in the process of getting my Aquacontroller Jr. setup so I can get my lights on a set schedule. Here are a few more pics of the nearly complete setup.

Old 07/30/2006, 11:25 PM
Premium Member

Reef dude, looks good. I have a question on your durso drains . . . . do you set the level of your tank water by the height of the elbow on the durso or is the water level just set by the height of the wall of the overflow?

Is that question clear? It's past my bedtime and my brain is fuzzy.

EDIT: Never mind, duh on my part. Jeeze that was a stupid question. Of course it's the overflow box that regulates the water level or in your case probably the black acrylic cover you will be placing over the glass.

Anyways, your setup looks awesome,
sorry to waste thread space, carry on.

Last edited by Cuby2k; 07/30/2006 at 11:36 PM.
Old 08/09/2006, 10:20 PM
Premium Member

Well, as an update, the rock is curing. I'm about 2 weeks into getting the rock cured out. I got my Aquacontroller programmed for my lights and it seems to be working fine. I will post some pics of the tank with the lights on soon.

I had a small plumbing problem. The fancy T termination of my drains proved to provide too much flow restriction and instead of the water flow slowing down so air could escape through the top of the T fittings, I had water shooting out both ends. I have since cut the T assembly out of the drain line and re run the plumbing, it seems to be working fine now.

I have had a minor heat issue with the temp reaching 86 degrees with the lights on. I have since taken the covers off the tank and gotten all four of the fans in the hood operational and that seems to be keeping the tank at 81-82 degrees during the day, and 79-80 degrees at night. I plan on adding an 80 cfm fan to the stand to vent it and allow better cooling for the sump in the stand. Hopefully, this will help out more and drop the temp down a little further during the day. I plan to program my controller to turn the stand vent fan on during the day and shut it off at night to tryand get the temp even more stable.
Old 08/21/2006, 12:23 PM
Registered Member

do u planon having a sand bed?
Old 08/21/2006, 12:55 PM
Premium Member

I would put a $10 wal-mart fan over your sump and program your AC Jr. To turn it off and on when needed. I got my AC Jr last week and since programming it my temp has stayed between 79.7-80.3 right exactly where I programmed it. The AC Jr is a great piece of equipment. Tank is looking good doc.

I hope you are happier with your ASM than I am. I have a G3 with recirc and gate valve mods and I think it was a big waste of money. Should have saved up and gotten a Deltec or H&S.

What lighting are you running?
Old 08/27/2006, 10:23 PM
Premium Member

Sorry for the hiatus ... yes I am planning on a sandbed ... in fact I just put it in today. I used 120 pounds of Caribsea Special Grade Reef Sand to make about a 1.5" to 2" sand bed.

My rocks have been curing for a month now and all my perameters have been zero for a week, so I did my aquascaping today also and will be folding my 58 gallon reef into my 180, in the nest few days, and then trying to sell the 58 setup.

As for the heating problem, I intstalled two 80 cfm fans in the stand. One is on constantly the other is controller my my AC Jr. to come on if the tamp hits 82 degrees. Has had to come on yet ... so I think I have the temp issue licked.

As for the ASM ... it has been doing a great job so far. It has really been producing some disgustingly smelly skimmate. What problems are you haveing with yours CeeGee?
Old 08/27/2006, 10:44 PM
Registered Member

do you have any pics of the 58(its a corner tank right?) if so can u send em to me?
i have a 92 corner
Old 08/27/2006, 11:01 PM
Registered Member

I like the setup and great detail on your process so far... Excellent work! Can't wait to see pictures of it full of life! I would also like to know what problems cee is having with his skimmer?
Old 08/27/2006, 11:34 PM
Zoanthid collector

What is the advantage of a durso drain?
Old 08/27/2006, 11:51 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dc_909
What is the advantage of a durso drain?
Stops the gurgling noise.
Old 08/28/2006, 12:00 AM
Zoanthid collector

Thanks