Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Central Ohio Reef Aquarists (CORA)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/27/2007, 10:45 PM
Registered Member

Going to buy a new camera need advice.

What camera should I get? I am looking for a camera to get some good close up coral shots and a camera to use around the family gatherings and such. I would like the expandability to add a macro lense on it too. My budget is around 200$
Old 12/27/2007, 11:00 PM
Registered Member

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Canon...oductDetail.do

This his kindof what I was thinking of. If it is any good.
Old 12/27/2007, 11:00 PM
Registered Member

pmed u

-Had to find some higher ground, had some fear to get around-
Old 12/28/2007, 05:02 PM
Registered Member

I am also in the market for a camera. Curious as to the suggestions!
Old 12/28/2007, 07:05 PM
Registered Member

if anyone wants a nikon d70 send me a PM...mine is collecting dust...
Old 12/28/2007, 07:15 PM
Premium Member

OK.. anyone know of a good digital camera good at taking macro shots, regular shots,.... AND (here's the kicker).... FAST MOVING OBJECT SHOTS????

Everything I take a pic of has to be P E R F E C T L Y still, or it comes out blurry. (fish, waving coral polyps, leaves blowing.. you know.. the usual).

any suggestions of such a model of camera would be great.
Old 12/28/2007, 08:03 PM
Registered Member

were all looking for the same things.
Old 12/28/2007, 10:02 PM
Registered Member

Hollback (and many others) know more about this than I do, but here's my take:

See if your camera will let you mess with ISO settings and make it more sensitive, or see if you can shoot in "Aperture Priority" mode and force the hole that lets in the light to stay as big as it can get.

Most "Point and Shoot" cameras these days will let you adjust these settings in "manual mode".

The problem with many P&S cameras is that usually the aperture (hole that lets the light in) goes from f/2.8 (big hole) out to f/8.0 (small hole) or something like that... so when you're on a wide angle shot, you get the faster f/2.8 aperture (big hole), but when you're zoomed out for a telephoto shot, you're stuck with the slower f/8.0 aperture.

Example:
At 28mm wide angle, a hole of 10mm is f/2.8 (28/2.8 = 10)
At 80mm telephoto, a hole of 10mm is f/8.0 (80/8=10)
To keep the wide f/2.8 aperture at 80mm focal length, you need a 28.5mm hole. In cameras, bigger holes are usually more expensive - especially on zoom lenses.

In that example, the focal length changes, but the hole stays the same size across about a 3x zoom ratio. In the real world, it can be different as more variables affect how the zoom function works, but you get the idea...

The other thing to remember is that the wider, faster aperture also narrows the depth of field, so when shooting a coral, sometimes only a few polyps may be in focus and the rest may be blurred because they're out of the narrow focus range (look at my avatar). Or with fish, the tail is in focus, but the head is blurry. FYI: Most of my FW buddies keep the fish eye in focus and your brain will assume the rest - even if the tail is a bit blurry...

Now, depending on your sensor, messing with the ISO settings may be the way to go. If you make the camera more sensitive, it needs less light to capture the image - so it can take a quick shot instead of a long one with motion blur. Just beware grainy pics and be sure to set your camera back to a regular ISO when you're done.

Have Fun...
Old 12/29/2007, 08:05 AM
Premium Member

I will try that. Thank you so much seandanekind! Couldn't afford to buy a new camera for a few months anyhoo... this may help.

Walmart.. also, if you find a good one you like, pass the model # on to me if you remember. I'll be in the market for one in the next few months.
Old 12/29/2007, 08:31 AM
Registered Member

jdircksen your mailbox is full
Old 12/29/2007, 09:03 AM
Registered Member

We picked up this camera a few weeks ago and have been extremely happy with it.
http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/Searc...&go.x=0&go.y=0
It has 18x op5tical zoom, macro mode, macro focus, sports mode, and many other features.
It was on sale for $350 + free shipping when we got it, but is back up to it's normal price now.
It allows for adding 46mm filters and add ons (not 55 like some places say.
Another cool camera is the Pentax W30, it is waterproof so you can get really close. I have the W20 and have used it to get some great Macro shots. My W20 did leak when I held it upside down, but Pentax fixed it under warranty.

Both of these cameras have Aperature priority and shutter priority modes.

HTH,
Ken

Shot with W20 in Macro mode. (camera in tank)

Shot with DMC-FZ18 in Macro Focus. (camera outside tank)
Old 12/29/2007, 05:27 PM
Registered Member

I like the pentax w30 because its under 200$. Those are the shots I am trying to get.
Ken how did the w20 take just normal photos like family and people?
Old 12/29/2007, 11:26 PM
Registered Member

Nice pictures MarineFishGuy! Very clear and detalied.

Have you used it outside on fast moving objects? I will be using my (new ???) camera 50% of the time on soccer fields, rain or shine, just no thunder allowed! Thanks for the advice!
Old 12/30/2007, 09:11 AM
Registered Member

I picked up the W20 to take vides from my kite while Kitesurfing.
It works well for that. On occasion we have also used it for still shots and it does a good job of capturing the action in good light condition. When it is overcast, it has a little more trouble.

The DMC-FZ18 does good when in sports mode on moving objects, although it also likes good light (daylight or strong indoor lighting). When there isn't enough light it slows the shutter speed down which can lead to blurry images.
It has a Indoor sports mode which tries to adjust the F stop before the shutter speed.
Using Shutter priority mode can also improve this if the camera can compensate on the F stop enough, however adjusting the F stop affects your depth of field.

I like the W20 for it's size and video mode best.I was pleasantly surprised about how well it takes stills.

We picked up the DMC-FZ18 for it's zoom and face recognition features (we are shooting Deb's daughters wedding), but it really can do it all. It has so many manual options it is overwhelming. The one con is it's size, it does not slide into your pocket.
Old 12/30/2007, 11:44 AM
Registered Member

Thanks a lot Ken, I am going to pick up the W30 online tonight. I will post some pics when I get it!
Old 12/30/2007, 11:50 AM
Registered Member

Check out cnet's evaluation of the W30...

http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-came...-31703664.html
Old 12/30/2007, 12:58 PM
Registered Member

The one I am going to buy is the Pentax W30. Not the sony. Anyway I checked the Cnet and I still feel that it is going to be a good camera.
Old 12/30/2007, 01:19 PM
Team RC Member

Look at "shutter lag"---which is the gap between your pressing the trigger and the shutter reacting and getting the shot. Some cameras have a huge shutter lag, enough, I swear, for the family dog to stroll out of the shot, your fish to be on the other side of the tank, or the birthday candles already to be out.

Google that term and get a comparison between brands and models in that characteristic.

The Minolta is one of the worst. We bought one before I learned that term.

"Make haste slowly." ---Augustus.

"If anything CAN go wrong, it will, and at the worst possible moment."---St. Murphy.
Old 12/30/2007, 01:20 PM
Registered Member

http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-came...2.html?tag=sub
It is this one.
I don't know what these people are talking about related to warranty work.
They fixed my W20 under warranty once I produced the receipt.
Make sure you buy from an authorized dealer.
I bought it on Ebay from hotdigital, they are also known as Focus Camera.
I had to get a receipt from Focus Camera (extra phone call), but in the end it only cost me shipping to them to get it fixed.
I did have a similar experience with their web form, when I called they said to send it in with a description and the receipt.

To avoid leaks I would advise using the battery door lock and a small amount of petroleum jelly around the seal.
I also would not hold the camera upside down underwater.

My old camera had a 0.5 second lag, the W20 is more like 0.1 second. It also focuses quickly.