Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/27/2007, 03:31 PM
Registered Member

Dumb noob question number 1 million1

Ok i gotta ask. what is the problem with caulerpa going "sexual" if this is as it sounds and it is reproducing that seems like it would be a good thing, creating more algae and thus more filtration? please explain why this is bad other than cloudy water.

Freedom Must occasionally be renewed with the blood of patriots-General Patton
Old 11/27/2007, 04:38 PM
Caulastrea sp

when algae goes sexual it releases spores, when it does this it also releases all the content in the cells of the algae. that tissue breaks down rapidly and can create a catastrophic event if you aren't there to do some water changes, empty the skimmer ect.

SPG: 1.026
PH: 8.35
'trates: undetectable
phosphate: 0
ALK: 11.6DKH
calcium: 435ish
12/21/07
Old 11/27/2007, 04:39 PM
Registered Member

When caulerpa goes sexual it releases toxins into the water. It is competing with other caulerpa for sexual dominance. They will end up killing eachother and releasing excessive die off into your system. Possibly causing a crash. Also the caulerpa can spread to your main tank and cause further havok on your reef. These are some of the problems.
Old 11/27/2007, 04:51 PM
Caulastrea sp

"Sporulation events can be disastrous in reef systems because the spores are released along with all the cellular contents of the alga. These contents break down in the aquarium and can overload the biofilter causing dangerous spikes in ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and phosphate levels. The break down of all these organics can also strip the water of oxygen.
Additionally, several genera of macroalgae contain toxic compounds meant to discourage herbivores from consuming them, including the toxin caulerpenyne found in Caulerpa. A few other species contain antibiofouling toxins that discourage larval invertebrates and spores of other macroalga from settling on their frond surfaces. While there are no studies that reveal the toxicity of these compounds to fish and invertebrates in aquarium environments, it may be prudent to attempt to clear them from the water rather than risk poisoning tank inhabitants."
Sarah Lardizabal, Beyond the Refugium: A Macroalgae Primer
Old 11/27/2007, 04:57 PM
Registered Member

Quote:

Additionally, several genera of macroalgae contain toxic compounds meant to discourage herbivores from consuming them, including the toxin caulerpenyne found in Caulerpa.
So is there anything that will eat the Caulerpa? I was hoping that once I got a clean up crew they would take care of it?
Old 11/27/2007, 05:01 PM
Registered Member

You need to prune it yourself.

Matt.
Old 11/27/2007, 05:04 PM
Fighting For Fish Freedom

No cleaners will eat it, and nothing anywhere near small enough for a nano will either. Just try to keep it pruned back as far as possible. Youll never get it all though without cooking your live rock (not literally cooking)
Old 11/27/2007, 05:06 PM
Caulastrea sp

unsure, but i believe that there are several animals that do eat it (maybe tangs)....
tomatoes contain alkaloids which can be toxic to humans but i still eat them!

SPG: 1.026
PH: 8.35
'trates: undetectable
phosphate: 0
ALK: 11.6DKH
calcium: 435ish
12/21/07
Old 11/27/2007, 05:19 PM
Registered Member

My tang eats it, and actually prefers it to nori. I've heard that some don't.
Old 11/27/2007, 05:27 PM
Fighting For Fish Freedom

Again nothing that is anywhere near appropriate for a nano. Put a tang in your tank and the tang police on this board will come to your house and lock you in a closet till you agree to remove it.
Old 11/27/2007, 06:04 PM
Registered Member

LOL Yeah I wont be putting a tang in my Nano... Thats for sure...