Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04/06/2007, 05:09 PM
Registered Member

trying another cheap good looking skimmer

well after searching around and reading and asking for help on here I have decided to order this skimmer today.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Poseidon2-Vortex...QQcmdZViewItem

got a good deal on it and it looks to be well built, I will post pics when i get it and get it up and running in the new sump that I am building. Feel free to tell me whatcha think, it is already on the way tho. LOL
Old 04/06/2007, 05:26 PM
Registered Member

Is this skimmer a needlewheel, or just a venturi as the air line looks to come in after the water is pulled in, not before (no chopping up with the impeller). In addition can the collection cup be removed (it looks like a grommet, but not sure) and what is the little hole for in the exit tube elbow?
Thanks,
Looks interesting though and a good price.
Old 04/06/2007, 05:46 PM
Premium Member

"You are bidding on ONE NIB FULLY FUNCTIONAL Poseidon2 "NW VORTEX" Series NEEDLE WHEEL Powered Protein Skimmer and Pump, for Saltwater Aquariums. (*IN SUMP ONLY) "

Interesting find... gonna have to follow this thread and see what you think of it.
Old 04/06/2007, 05:51 PM
Registered Member

Doesn't look to be a needle wheel the air injector has to go in before the impeller at the intake to be a needle wheel. From the pic it looks like a standard venturi. Ebayers beware.
Old 04/06/2007, 06:55 PM
Reefer

Genx 2400 Needle Wheel pump with Venturi KIt Included! SUPER QUIET! NO NOISE! Low Maintenance! All tubing and fittings to connect and operate, INCLUDED!
Old 04/06/2007, 07:04 PM
Registered Member

emailed the seller and asked, this is the response i got....

"Nope true needlewheel skimmer.. impeller and all.. venturi is on the INTAKE.. Ya, your right about the picturs..

The pictures need to be updated. those are of the older style... Sorry.. just lazy haha.. "

so, we will jsut see how it is when it gets here.
Old 04/06/2007, 09:11 PM
Registered Member

Did you order it yet? If not for that price I would deinatly go with the Aqua Euro Recirculating 135. It's on sale right now for $159. It looks to be of better quality and less money. The poseidon looks cheaply made. I'm not too sure about a grommet holding the riser tube. I hope it works out for you.

http://www.reefnut.com/reefshop/prod...roducts_id=115
Old 04/06/2007, 09:49 PM
Registered Member

Genx 6000 30" Chamber x 6" OD Acrylic... 7" x 3.25" Foam Riser 5" cup.. = 37" Total H.. cup comes with drain line.fitting.

Make a deal..

$245.00 shipped

I emailed to get a price on a 30" tall chamber and a genX6000 pump, Seems a pretty reasonable price to me, but can it beat the various aquaeuros out there.............
Old 04/06/2007, 09:58 PM
Registered Member

Kody what skimmer are you talking about?
Old 04/06/2007, 10:02 PM
Registered Member

I emailed the ebay vendor that Chad started this thread on to see what a much bigger unit would cost. Basically the same Poseidon 2 skimmer, but 37.5 inches high and with a genX 6000 instead of a genx 2400. Basically 18 more inches of reaction chamber. For $245 it is not a bad deal, but can it really compete with the aquaeuro units?
Old 04/06/2007, 10:23 PM
Registered Member

let us know how it works when you get it

Click the Red House.
Old 04/06/2007, 10:31 PM
Registered Member

i will post pics.
Old 04/07/2007, 12:05 AM
Registered Member

I for one am interested in seeing how it works. I wonder if they go make is a recirc for a few bucks more........................
Old 04/07/2007, 08:50 AM
Registered Member

I am going to try it stock at first and then do a mesh mod on it and see what happens.
Old 04/07/2007, 06:48 PM
Registered Member

If I had all the money I spent trying out low end skimmers I could buy a Bubble King. I've learned my lesson but it sure was an expensive one.
Old 04/21/2007, 02:11 AM
Registered Member

Skimmer builder

Hey Guys,

Im the builder of these NW skimmers.. Just wanted to chime in here a bit introduce myself and Just say hello to everyone. I will try and keep this as UN-commercial as possible so as not to get REMOVED from RC... as although I have tried in the past, I havent had much success getting on here as a sponsor

I just want to clear some things up I have been reading on RC..

First of all the pictures mentioned about it being a VENTURI...and someone said "beware" ahhaha... I can understand that concern, and take full responsiblity for it.

Originally I built this skimmer as a VENTURI only skimmer several years ago, and it was a great success. Those are the pictures I was using on EBAY since I didnt have decent ones of the new version created yet to show, of the new version with NW pump and or or the most recent intakes either... until now

Here is what the skimmer looks like that CHAD got.. Notice its a REAL NW version for those of you who are doubting. Also notice how the intake is setup to VORTEX the flow in the chamber.. it goes around and around, the intake is fairly low in the chamber.. .pointed downward yet going up at the exit. I did this to utilize EVERY INCH OF the chamber.

Notice if you will, the baffle I invented and install on all my skimmers now, helps DEFLECT the majority of MB upward above the return. acting as a mini baffle in the chamber. allows the intake to be low in the chamber, while sorta protecting the return 90 below.

New version 2007 with 2400 NW pump. Look closely at that air intake fitting on the venturi, its NOT stock. I added that, its a 1/4" BARBED fitting which I tapped out and it screws in place into the stock venturi. I removed the existing smaller intake that comes with this pump and modded it with a larger barbed fitting.

I also found extending it down INTO the flow (screwing it down into the venturi seemed to INCREASE the "pull" of air the venturi produced. I need a meter to confirm this, but I can tell just by what I HEAR and feel with my finger its GREATER.. Not to mention what I SEE with my eyes in the chamber.

Shows the chamber upclose with Bubble Baffle

Shows the baffle in operation on my old venturi style

I started other ventures and got away from building them for a few years.. But, Recently I decided to join the darkside and go NW with my skimmers and bring them back.. as I finally tried one myself after a few years to see how they worked.. but with a LARGER pump. Im now powering my own personal skimmer which has a 16" x 6" OD diameter chamber with the 4200 NW Genx. with GREAT results.

Im a big fan of turbulence and power in that chamber, (VORTEX) though some might disagree and seem to think turbulence is a bad thing.. I would challenge you to read the AQUA C PATENT and claims, (which I have) They talk about the COLLISION OF the BUBBLES along with different sizes of MB, helping them to do their job.. I think they are correct. I use nature as my guide.

I am a surfer and have swallowed my fair share of skimmate in the ocean..being thrown around like a RAG DOLL out here in SO CAL in my day. My experience with Natural Fractionation, is that Nature doesnt just pump some nice calm bubbles into the water and let them rise.. Anyone who has surfed knows what im talking about.. its like a WASHING MACHINE inside and in the power of a wave.. about 10 ft down.

Also I think the VORTEX motion I get by using a larger pump and angling the intake inside the chamber keeps that vortex going which causes the flow in the chamber to CIRCULATE around and around.. thus IMHO increases EXPOSURE time the MB have to the water.. letting them get more dense and dense.. is better VS just pushing bubbles in and letting them rise.. nice and calm up to the cup as fast as possible.

I use this logical premise ie.. that if its true that the shortest distance between two points, is a STRAIGHT LINE.. Then its also true that the LONGEST distance between two points should/would logically be achieved by going in CIRCLES.. hahahahah (ask any man about driving directions)

If you do any research on skimmers and fractionation, all the talk is about EXPOSURE TIME IN the chamber being one of the keys.. of course MB size being reduced is one of the others..

So, Larger and larger chambers are more effecient.. of course.. However for those of us (many of us) that dont have 10 ft to fit a massive skimmer ouside or under our tanks.. then it follows that The longer the MB are exposed to the pollutants in the chamber the greater their effeciency for a given space and time. Course size of MB and chamber all play into that equation.. not going there now. Thats all about air restriction and flow rates of the air and WHERE its restricted I might add.

So, if exposure time of the MB in the chamber is the key in the chamber (it is IMHO) than it makes sense to me that the longer the MB are circulating in that chamber before rising, the more time the MB outer surfaces have to become CHARGED which will help them collect pollutants on the MB's surfaces. (thats how a skimmer works in a nutshell)

I was fairly pleased with my own NW version after using a venturi for a long time, and realized that the NW versions I had seen in person, and had been dissapointed with, were just underpowered as I saw it, or just BARELY powered. Not to mention any names, (so as to get "MOVED ON" ) ahhaha.. but these skimmers with 6" OD tubing use only 350gph pumps to power the skimmers.. The ones I had seen pretty much didnt even compete with what I saw my original version doing with the standard venturi.. Granted I powered that thing with a 977gph pump which is a LOT of GPH. LOL!

I figured they were eithe VERY effecient or underpowered.. Maybe a little of both. so.......

Trying to be more GREEN and use less WATTAGE.. and heat transfer.. I was looking to downsize the GPH/WATTS/HEAT/COST yet increase the performance. NW pumps seemed logical to me so I wanted to see one using a TIM TAYLOR pump hehee.. with a bit more POWER! Maybe 4200 or 2400 NW pump.

Also for this particular pump what I have found is MODDING The STOCK AIR intake to true 1/4" really changes the perfomance of these pumps in a good way (will cover that later)

Anyways I think modding the impeller for a MESH would also work, and increse the shred ability of the impeller.. but some of you should consider drilling out your existing venturi's and add a 1/4" threaded barb on there.. (get a 1/4" tap and tap out the venturi) I have done that with Great sucess. Chad's has that modded venturi.

I add more air at the pumps intake, yet and restrict it at the green needle valve at the cup to reduce MB size and control flow.

Anyways I'm helping Chad set his new skimmer up and hope to see that he gets the thing dialed in like he wants.

And BTW the skimmer is not "CHEAP".. its inexpensive! hahahah

Last edited by BubbleMonkeyIII; 04/21/2007 at 02:31 AM.
Old 04/21/2007, 08:00 AM
Registered Member

I for one think this skimmer has potential, it looks quite good and I am very interested to hear Chads results. It is also nice to have the engineer explain the design, it shows us what you were thinking when you put the unit together. Thanks for comming on this thread and explaining your skimmer.
I do have a couple of questions: can you do a recirc model, what is the maximum diameter of tubing that you can use for the reaction chamber, and is your unit ozone safe?
Old 04/21/2007, 08:42 AM
Registered Member

Would one of these be too much skimmer on a 55g tank? I haven't assembled it or the sump yet, but will probably use a 37g tank (30" long variety) as a sump with maybe 15 or 20 gallons of water in sump.
Old 04/21/2007, 10:45 AM
Registered Member

bump
Old 04/21/2007, 11:50 AM
Registered Member

I have seen some recirc skimmers also heard good things about them, but havent built one yet.

Im POSTIVE I could, I just havent yet. Way is see it, a recirc Just needs to get the water the intake for the pump, not from the skimmer section of the sump, but rather inserted and connected to the skimmer.. of course an additional an INPUT for the flow to enter the chamber at a specific point would need to be designed as well. The return might need to be modified after testing it..

The thought does intrigue me however to attempt one. Leave me a PM about your thoughts on a design kody including chamber/pump skimmer size

Isuburl there is a 5" OD version being made now, which is a bit smaller than the 6" Thats probably what you want. But the needs of each system is different and depends on your livestock, bio load etc... Because you could have a 55gallon and feed 3x a day and have a MUCH heavier bio load than a guy that feeds 1x every FEW days.. (there are some) with at 125 gallon tank.
Old 04/21/2007, 02:38 PM
Premium Member

Bubble Monkey if you could Fab a Recirc. version with a smaller print than the Octopus or AquaEuro I would DEF want to buy one
You can spend your time alone redigesting past regrets, or you can come to terms and realize your the only one who can't forgive yourself. OOHHH! It makes much more sense to live in the present tense!
Old 04/21/2007, 02:40 PM
One Good Friend

Kody, the skimmer your talking about with a 6" od wouldnt be advisable. WIth a genx6000 it would be way to small diameter wise anyhow. Your going to need a 10-12" od, and a 6-8" neck diameter that is 6-8" tall to utilize all the air that guy can pull.

Bubble, i like your creative thinking, fwiw, here's my .02. The air intake on teh 2400 can handle a 5/8" air injector. You can see my design on the woot thread. It will pull lots of air and wont hamper performance. The only thing i didn't like about chad's skimmer was teh fact that you left it unfinished and kinda ugly. I understand taht won't affect performance, but it won't sell skimmers and lfs's won't want a unfinished looking skimmer sitting out for display. Finish them and make em look purty! Some constructive criticism. I think your goin down a good path though. Keep designing and keep moving ahead. Make a big proto and sell it relatively unexpensive and people will come. Do you use cast or extruded acrylic?
Old 04/21/2007, 03:14 PM
Premium Member

yo... was up? yall give up on this thread?
You can spend your time alone redigesting past regrets, or you can come to terms and realize your the only one who can't forgive yourself. OOHHH! It makes much more sense to live in the present tense!
Old 04/21/2007, 07:02 PM
Registered Member

bubblemonkey, I will send you some ideas.
Chad how do you like your skimmer and PICS PLEASE
Old 04/21/2007, 09:49 PM
Registered Member

ok guys sorry been busy getting ready for big race. I have the skimmer up and running in my QT tank for about 2 days now, I have been putting skimmate from my HOB skimmer in there to help break in and i am finally getting some dry foam, I will be getting the skimmer in my sump hopefully at the begining of the week and see how it really does. I will try and get some pics tomorrow night if i have time. I have a few pics now if I can send them to someone to post for me. thanks

One other note, I would like to thank Chris (BubbleMonkey) for all his help and patience with my sometimes stupid questions.
I think this skimmer will be very good for the money after it is fine tuned.