Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11/26/2005, 06:47 PM
Team RC Member

next fish(es)

Three days after the loss of my goby, I got a young mated pair of true percula clownfish from ... you guessed it ... John (thedude15810). He had just recovered from a crash of his system due to an exploded anenome (I'll let you expand on this if you wish, John) and since he had no plans for a new anenome, he kindly sold the fish to me so that they'd have a happier home in which to live.

Apparently this was a mistake.

The female had a 3 mm lesion of (suspected) lymphocystis on her gill when she was acquired, and the male had pinpoint lesion as well. They were inseparable and cruised the tank together, eventually hosting in my frogspawn. They both ate hardily and looked well until the 48 hour mark, when the female began to develop labored breathing. Check out this thread for all of the gory details but suffice it to say that after 72 hours she was gone .

The male continued to do well but looked very lonely . Having tested all parameters (nit 0, phos 0, ammonia <0.25, all else unchanged from before) and being unable to conclude exactly why she died, I decided it was time to get a quarantine tank for future acquisitions. My first would be another percula clownfish. My hope is that the current male will assume a female sex, and the new juvenile will become a male and they will pair up and eventually mate. The details of this will have to wait until a later installment, as I have to get some other things accomplished today. Oh yeah, and after a few more months of stability, I'll get them an anemone.