Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > NorthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Southern Tier Reef Society
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05/25/2007, 01:30 PM
Premium Member

zoo tank updates

RC sponsors definitely rock. Euro-reef agreed to provide their RC-250 skimmer for either no cost or maximally at 50% off wholesale cost which would put it at only about $175. Ice cap will be looking over my proposal but stated interest in providing not only lighting but also possibly their Vor-tec pump. For those not familiar, that is the state of the art power head where there is no heat transfer since the motor is held outside of the tank by a powerful magnet. This baby moves water and uses very little energy. I will be hearing from both companies very soon. Next, we need to work on RO-DI and auto top off system and a return pump and we are almost there! Any ideas of who to contact for these would be appreciated.
Old 05/25/2007, 02:33 PM
Branchy Coral Aficionado

OK here is a tentative list that I started. Please feel free to add to it or ask questions about it...

Stuff to get from Fish Store (Donations?)
1 - Euro Reef skimmer
3 - Eheim-JAGER TS Heater - 250 watt
1 - Large Roll of Filter Floss (Are we going to use this?)
1 - Warner Marine PHOSaR Phosphate Remover 4000 Gram
1 - Black Diamond Carbon 68 oz - MarineLand, 3.65 L
6 - Mesh Nylon Media Bags
1 - Return pump (We still have to decide on this pump)
1 - Icecap VHO Retro
2 - Icecap Vortech pumps
1 or 2 - 72" (VHO, T12) Super Actinic R, 160W -URI
1 or 2 - 72" (VHO, T12) 10,000K Aquasun, 160W -URI
3 - 5 gallon buckets of instant ocean synthetic salt
1 - RO/DI 100 Gallon per day units
2 - Ύ” threaded male penductors
1 - Reefkeeper to control fans, heaters, powerheads, and lights
2 - Ύ” Uniseal Slip Seal Gaskets
2 - 1" Uniseal Slip Seal Gaskets
2 - AQUA LIFTER VACUUM PUMPs
2 - PRE-FILTER FOR AQUALIFTER
1 - Aqualight Digital Power Center
1 - Top Off of some kind (Maybe a Reef Fanatic Level Controller w/2 Float Switches?)
1 - Hydrometer or Refractometer of some kind (open to suggestions)
1 - Set of Salifert Test Kits (Let's get a bunch)

Stuff to get from local stores (Cash)
1 - Large bag of Dow Flake
4 - Boxes of Baking Soda
2 - Honeywell FAN SUPER TURBO HP BK Sump Fans
4 - Extension cords
4 - Power strips
2 - 10' long 1” PVC pipes
1 - 10' long Ύ” PVC pipe
8 - 1” 90° PVC fittings
8 - 1” 45° PVC fittings
8 - 1" PVC Unions
1 - 1.25" PVC Union
2 - 1.25" PVC T fitting
1 - 1" PVC T fitting
3 - 1.25" PVC male to 1” female reducer bushings
3 - 1" PVC male slip to Ύ” female threaded reducer bushings
1 - 1.25" threaded to slip PVC connector
1 - 1.25" threaded PVC reducer size depending on pump
2 - 1" PVC ball valves
1 - 1.25" PVC ball valve
1 - 100 gallon rubbermaid brute container for sump
1 - 5 ft. long Ύ” Vinyl Tubing
1 - 5 ft. long 1” Vinyl Tubing
2 - Ύ” male threaded to male barb adapters
2 - Ύ” vinal hose clamps
2 - Ύ” PVC cross fittings
8 - Ύ” PVC 90° fittings
8 - Ύ” PVC Endcaps
1 - panel of Light Diffuser (Egg Crate)
1 - 20' roll of 1/4" OD Tubing
Old 05/25/2007, 02:39 PM
Branchy Coral Aficionado

Also I have contacted Drs Foster Smith and Premium Aquatics and they are interested in reading our proposal. I have also contacted Marine Depot and I am waiting on a call back from them. After we finalize the things we need using the list above we can write the proposal to these places and see what we can get. Jerry can you assist me in typing up the proposal? I am just so busy it is hard to keep up with all of this stuff. I hope that list give us a good jump start on things…
Old 05/25/2007, 03:39 PM
Moved On

Nate I have a suggestion on the RO/Di. A 75 gpd is a much more efficent unit ,(98% rejection(75 gpd) vrs 90% (100gpd) rejection )and 75 gallons is more than enough for ourt needs. Hence less expensive.
Old 05/25/2007, 03:54 PM
Premium Member

Great list Nate. Very comprehensive. Very close to what i had compiled. The main difference is I am asking Ice cap for T-5 lighting equipment so that we can have the flexibility to include sps and clams, though that can really be done with vhop as well. I will be thrilled if they include the Vor-tech pumps otherwise to save cost over a closed loop system i was thinking of a couple of 1200 maxi mods. Anyway, i will be happy to type up the proposals. I'll give you a call. thanx for your time and effort. Everybody please feel free with ideas, suggestions, substitutions etc.
Old 05/25/2007, 04:14 PM
Premium Member

Nate, Vince said he has a 55 gallon rubbermaid tub. is that too small for our purposes. Also we'll need a magfloat glass scraper sufficient for 180 glass thickness, a glass scraper, fish net. Also for now we can get away with individual timers if we can't get a controller unit. Also, what are the aqua lifter's for. I assume thats for adding Randy'sw two-part solutions or kalk?

Can someone create a specific list of materials needed for the tank stand? I know Vince drew up a nice plan for a stand. We need to break it down so that the zoo can make the purchases.
Old 05/29/2007, 12:02 PM
Branchy Coral Aficionado

T-5 lighting should be fine. Also the aqualifters are for a DIY Randy's two-part doser.
Old 05/29/2007, 12:24 PM
Premium Member

jerry, my rubbermaid is not a brute, it is a rough neck, nate said he didnt know if they would leach phosphates or not, but et me know if you would like to try, the only other thing i could find around here was a 50 gallon poly troth from the tractor supply store...
Old 05/29/2007, 07:07 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by drbronx
Great list Nate. Very comprehensive. Very close to what i had compiled. The main difference is I am asking Ice cap for T-5 lighting equipment so that we can have the flexibility to include sps and clams, though that can really be done with vhop as well. I will be thrilled if they include the Vor-tech pumps otherwise to save cost over a closed loop system i was thinking of a couple of 1200 maxi mods. Anyway, i will be happy to type up the proposals. I'll give you a call. thanx for your time and effort. Everybody please feel free with ideas, suggestions, substitutions etc.
That would be great if they do throw in a Vortech, it would be a lot less plumbing to deal with, however, I have been following the Vortech thread and I have mixed feelings with it. Some love it and some seem to have a ton of problems, like frying the controllers and with it not staying in place. I do believe there is supposed to be a new and improved model avilable so it may be good to go....Free is always good!

Geo
Old 05/31/2007, 08:53 AM
Registered Member

When do you need the IO buckets? I'm able to get 200 gal buckets of IO for less than the 160 gal buckets. I'm still working getting established with suppliers, so timing might be an issue for me.

Nate, not sure if I told you but I think I can get PVC stuff at cost, so if you want me to see what prices I can get the PVC from let me know. Oh and with the ball valves, are they going to be the true ball valves, or the cheaper ones?

Is the tank going to be running a UV Sterilizer? Are we looking at using any of the Pinpoint monitors?

This may be a bit minor, but what type of extension cords are we looking to use for this? The heavy duty 3 prong? Is there already wiring in the walls for the power supply?

These are just a few things I can think of for now.
Old 05/31/2007, 12:35 PM
Moved On

Just a thought if the Zoo wants things to be simple maybe they should consider a Neptune system instead of several separate controllers and monitors . Though pricey, a Neptune can handle all of the tanks needs and can also be connected to a computer for monitoring. But after purchasing several light times, Ph meters, and the like, a Neptune looks like a good idea....
Old 05/31/2007, 03:45 PM
Branchy Coral Aficionado

I agree zanclus. The AquaController Jr with the DC8 is only $224.95. That is a really good deal IMO...
Old 05/31/2007, 03:51 PM
Premium Member

hey guys i am drawing up the stand and what not but i need to know how tall we want the bottom of the tank to be off the ground...the 100 gallon sumps demensions are 26 high, 32 wide, and 52 long....keep in mind we need to get into the sump....
Old 05/31/2007, 03:57 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by fatrip
hey guys i am drawing up the stand and what not but i need to know how tall we want the bottom of the tank to be off the ground...the 100 gallon sumps demensions are 26 high, 32 wide, and 52 long....keep in mind we need to get into the sump....
I have not been to see the location for the tank, but dose the sump have to be under the tank? Is there room to have it off to one side?......The reason I ask is due to acessability, is the sump going to be a Refuge as well? Is the skimmer going to be a stand alone or in the sump?

I think a meeting is in good order so we can decide what is going to be what. We should start with the room demensions and layout of equipment. Don't want this to turn into what the wire mess looks like behind my computer... Anyway...some serious pre-planning will save a lot of time and frustration. Just my 2-cents.

Geo
Old 05/31/2007, 04:15 PM
Premium Member

it has to be under and no refuge, not sure about the skimmer is the euroreef rc250 an internal or external skimmer???
Old 05/31/2007, 04:18 PM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by nwrogers
I agree zanclus. The AquaController Jr with the DC8 is only $224.95. That is a really good deal IMO...
Your one smart cookie Nate lol.....
Old 05/31/2007, 04:18 PM
Premium Member

any one know the dimensions of this 180??? is it a wide?
Old 05/31/2007, 04:57 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by nwrogers
is this better than the reef keeper 2??
Old 05/31/2007, 05:05 PM
Premium Member

the euro reef can be internal or external, but with the space we have, and the extra space in the sump i think it will be ideal to put it in the sump. it will also cut down on some of our plumbing as well.
Old 05/31/2007, 05:25 PM
Moved On

a 180 is 72" long x 24" wide . I myself make my stand 72"x32" so I could have a little extra behind the tank for my Ballasts to sit on:

I also built it taller so the tank sits up at eye level when standing.
Old 05/31/2007, 05:30 PM
Premium Member

but if it is a 180 tall then it is only 18" wide....wheres the doc when you need him...lol...
Old 05/31/2007, 06:48 PM
Branchy Coral Aficionado

Quote:
Originally posted by zanclus
Your one smart cookie Nate lol.....
Thanks Zanclus! You too!!

Quote:
is this better than the reef keeper 2??
Just as good just a little cheeper. They are both nice IMO.

Quote:
the euro reef can be internal or external, but with the space we have, and the extra space in the sump i think it will be ideal to put it in the sump. it will also cut down on some of our plumbing as well.
I agree.

Quote:
Originally posted by zanclus
a 180 is 72" long x 24" wide....
That is right 72" long x 24" wide. A 150 is 72" long x 18" wide. I doubt this is a 180 tall. If it is I stand corrected. And speaking of stands, that looks like a nice one John!
Old 05/31/2007, 06:59 PM
Moved On

Thanks Nate, It holds my 220 with no problems solid as a rock. and cost around $100. to complete with the canopy. Simple design but structurally sound. We can build it in about 3 Hrs if we have all the material. I can figure out the supplies needed ...
Old 06/01/2007, 07:25 AM
Premium Member

-Sorry for not posting but Road Runner had me blocked out again for a bit.
Thanx for posting the pics John. Nice design. I like the idea of the rear shelf but we just have to make sure that doesn't interfere with our ability to do maintenance all of which will have to be done from the rear of the tank.

Vince- thanx for measuring out the 100 g sump. i think we can place that to the side of the display tank but we'll take more precise measurements this Saturday. As far as tank height, we'll have to wait until the floor is removed to take final measurements. We were thinkinmg 36" which is a fairly standard height and allows little people to see in as well as adults. The zoo has floor removal as their next rainy day project. they have been taking advantage of the good weather to get outside repairs completed.

03Mach- hard to say when we will need the salt. if you are not able to contribute when we are ready to add water, we'll try to obtain initial salt from a donor. however, you can be sure we will need discounted salt for future water changes.

thanks to all for your great ideas and contributions.
Old 06/01/2007, 07:34 AM
Premium Member

i have an idea about the sump being paritally under the tank...ill show you on sat the design...