Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/11/2007, 05:05 PM
Registered Member

washing the socks

I use hot water shortest cycle and bleach. Hey what size and micron do you guys use on your tanks. I sometimes worry that mine strips too much out.

Bennett
Old 12/11/2007, 06:36 PM
Registered Member

200 micra and love it.
Old 12/20/2007, 06:55 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
I do the washing machine thing too. Wrolks great. I do let my filter socks air dry when they are finished washing just to make sure that there isn't any chlorine left in them.
I use 100 micron socks, and have been washing in machine with bleach and 1 extra rinse cycle. I was told today by another board's SPS mentor that even trace amounts of bleach will cause TN in SPS. He said to either use Prime to remove residual chlorine, or forget about using filter socks.

So, does letting them air dry really ensure that there is no chlorine left?
Old 12/21/2007, 06:44 AM
Registered Member

TN in SPS? what is TN
Old 12/21/2007, 08:41 AM
Generic Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Canarygirl

So, does letting them air dry really ensure that there is no chlorine left?
Yes. Dechlorinators will make your skimmer overflow. I would never use them. If you do, make sure it is all rinsed out.
Old 12/21/2007, 09:22 AM
Registered Member

I really don't think it matters, as long as you rinse them before you put them in your tank. Do not was them with anything else. Lint will collect in the socks. It's hard to get it all out.
Old 12/21/2007, 09:43 AM
Registered Member

I use a declorinator in the first rinse when I remember. I run them through 2 rinse cycles. But isnt there something about any residula chlorine being left on the dry socks would be in a trace quantity and is instantly broken down into somethiung harmless in the tank? Some type of oxidation reaction or something? I could have sworn of the resident chemistry gurus chimed in on this once in another filter bag thread.
Old 12/21/2007, 10:47 AM
Registered Member

Chlorine breaks down very rapidly when it is exposed to air. It's just the chemical nature of the compound. I'm sure someone on the chemistry forum could show you the equation if you'd like.
Old 12/21/2007, 11:52 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Dechlorinators will make your skimmer overflow. I would never use them. If you do, make sure it is all rinsed out.
on this subject, I notice that my skimmer wants to overflow when I put a newly cleaned/rinsed filter sock in the sump. What is going on there, do you think? Anybody else notice this?
Old 12/21/2007, 12:28 PM
Registered Member

For those who have septic tanks and drain fields, as I do, I would never put chlorine in my washer. I do my socks by hand, and throw the chlorinated water out in the yard.

Joe
Old 12/21/2007, 12:31 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
on this subject, I notice that my skimmer wants to overflow when I put a newly cleaned/rinsed filter sock in the sump. What is going on there, do you think? Anybody else notice this?
If you use a dechlorinator in the final rinse, I could see it happening, they can cause overskimming. When I remember, as I said, I use some in the first rinse, but not the final rinse. I also rinse mine in some RO/DI right before I put them in the sump. Are you allowing them to dry after cleaning, before using them again?
Old 12/21/2007, 03:38 PM
Premium Member

I almost always air dry mine before use, then give them a quick rinse squeeze water out before putting in the sump. (I didn't know that air drying eliminated residual chlorine).

The other night when my skimmer cup overflowed after putting a new sock in, I did it this way with a dried sock and a rinse. I've never used a dechlorinator.
Old 12/21/2007, 04:26 PM
Charleston Reefer

anyone clean their socks with the high heat setting in the washing machine?[155+]
Old 12/21/2007, 07:03 PM
Registered Member

Cold water helps the removal of stains and hot water sets stains.
Old 12/21/2007, 07:20 PM
Registered Member

Thank you all for the reponse . It has been very toughtfull.
Old 12/21/2007, 08:17 PM
Registered Member

I wash mine hot but it is a combination of warm and hot. I fill it about 1/2 warm then switch to hot.

Bleach works far better in hot water than cold.
Old 12/21/2007, 08:19 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
I almost always air dry mine before use, then give them a quick rinse squeeze water out before putting in the sump. (I didn't know that air drying eliminated residual chlorine).

The other night when my skimmer cup overflowed after putting a new sock in, I did it this way with a dried sock and a rinse. I've never used a dechlorinator.
I have never had my skimer overflow after putting in a washed filter sock. I would think that there would have to be some type of residue from something on the sock to cause the overskimming.
Old 12/22/2007, 03:31 AM
Registered Member

also wondering about what micron size everybody is using/reccomending?? thanks..
Old 12/22/2007, 09:57 AM
Registered Member

I use 100 micron, I think most use 100 micron as well.
Old 12/22/2007, 10:33 AM
Registered Member

I have a five gallon bucket that I keep three quarters full of water with a cup of bleach add a sock every two days till full then dump it in the washer then air dry when dry no smell no bleach .