Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Lounge
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05/13/2005, 05:06 PM
Wangateur & Sauveteur

The Faces of Meth

A sheriff's deputy in Portland, Oregon has started a collection of the mug shots of people before and after months to years of methamphetamine addiction. The photos are posted on the Sheriff's Office website and were also featured on CBS News. If you look in their eyes, as the deputy notes, in the first photo "there's life in their eyes. Then you switch to the second picture and that life is gone. Look at their eyes. Their soul seems to have left their body."

Old 05/13/2005, 05:08 PM
Ocean God

Sick...
Old 05/13/2005, 05:10 PM
Registered Member

Sad
Old 05/13/2005, 05:13 PM
D00D

thats what that crap does to you
Old 05/13/2005, 05:16 PM
Moved In

Scary, but sad. Unfortunately I know a few people that these pictures apply to.

Powertripping~is that a song or a dance?

RC Lounge~Humor Questionable ~Enter At Own Risk!
Old 05/13/2005, 05:23 PM
I'm Rick James @#$%&

hilarious

I do not feel an ounce of sadness for anyone who chooses to do drugs......

I grew up around it, saw it around me EVERYWHERE, and finally began to hate everyone that is addicted to the crap the day one of them beat my mother to rob her of a few dollars

let them all die a slow miserable death.......

and for those of you who will say "you wouldn't say that if is was a close family member"

well I have a cousin whos been in and out of rehab about 5 times, You know what i say to the rest of my family "freak him"

everyone is exactly where they wanna be.

rememeber, the best place to store alcohol is your bloodstream....
Old 05/13/2005, 05:51 PM
Dino - Victim of Women

Scary...I can't imagine why anyone would want to do that kind of stuff. Just plain stupid to me...

"And who could have ever guess that Dino is apparently the smartest man on the planet?" - jgoodrich71
Old 05/13/2005, 06:07 PM
Rubberman

I think that's the risk of having it available. You may not think you're at risk to become hooked. Some personalities are just more likely to become addicted and much may depend on the what else is going on in your life.
This is why education is so important and early discovery of the abuse may still not be of any value.
I for one feel not only for those addicted but also for the family and friends that must deal with it on a daily basis, wondering what to do or what they did wrong.

SteveU
Old 05/13/2005, 06:56 PM
Registered Member

Hmmm, very accurate photos... It's a real shame ... I too know people that are addicts of different things, and those photos are just too real... I really don't have time in my life for people that use drugs, and thieve, and the worst give up on their kids... I refuse to feel sorry for people that do this, sorry but I have grown up around it and I know first hand that you have choices, and I chose to have a life...

TheBimbo

so...what are you wearing...?

panties...?

lace panties...?

that's what I'm wearing - ScubaDave and the telemarketer...

Life can be short, just like me... Live it to the fullest!!! Family is always there for you NO matter what, just like a "true friend" would be... A cheat is a cheat, and are always busted...
Old 05/13/2005, 07:03 PM
Moved In

I feel for everybody around them tho. Too many innocent people pay for loving them.

Old 05/13/2005, 07:06 PM
Ich Rumor/Myth Buster

I agree with salty toes. Tragic but hey, that's where they want to be.
Old 05/13/2005, 07:07 PM
Rubberman

Bimbo... I agree, but my son must deal with this issue as long as he lives. He's 25 and the father on my two Grandchildren, my personal concern stopped when the court gave me full custody of him when he was 5. For him it will never end and hince that's why I show the compassion that I do.

Steve
Old 05/13/2005, 07:09 PM
Registered Member

I agree with you Debi, but one of the hardest things I ever did was to put my own brother in jail... He stole money from my parents Bar, I caught him... I called the cops, then went and told my mom and dad what I busted him doing... I had to testify in court and everything... It was a hard thing to do, but atleast I gave him almost a year free of drugs!!!

TheBimbo

so...what are you wearing...?

panties...?

lace panties...?

that's what I'm wearing - ScubaDave and the telemarketer...

Life can be short, just like me... Live it to the fullest!!! Family is always there for you NO matter what, just like a "true friend" would be... A cheat is a cheat, and are always busted...
Old 05/13/2005, 07:29 PM
Guardian of Little People

Thanks for the pictures Joey. I can't imagine a bigger problem our country faces right now than meth.

Some days you're the dog, other days you're the hydrant
Old 05/13/2005, 07:37 PM
Xenia Philanthropist

Wow, very sad. I saw the one photo (2 1/2 years) on Oprah today, as they talked about this subject.

I disagree with letting them die a slow death. This stuff changes the brain chemistry so much that after starting the drugs, the original person isn't even there anymore.

And it isn't where they WANT to be. It starts that way, but one of the ladies on Oprah (a 24 year old who looked 40!) explained that eventually it didn't even feel good anymore, but she couldn't stop.

I do know someone who was addicted for several years. She lost her kids and everything else in her life. Rehab worked for her and she is remarried, working a steady job, and a couple years into reestablishing a normal life. She only slipped once and it scared her so much to know how easily she could go back to where she was, she has stayed completely clean since.

I am very proud of her and she is proof that there IS a road back. She says that she has learned so many coping skills now, that she actually never craves the drug anymore!

Crystal
Old 05/13/2005, 07:44 PM
Moved In

I've seen people come back, but more not. I know my brother has been in prison 5? times. Talks a great story while he's in prison, rarely makes it home without getting high. I told him the last time I wrote him I couldn't deal with him, I'd always love him but I didn't like him, and hoped he didn't meet his son in prison. He's 14 now.

Old 05/13/2005, 09:35 PM
Moved On

hrmmmm, yeah that is kinda odd....you know the people look like all the life was sucked out of them or something...some look bad in the "before" pic..sad...

drugs kill
Old 05/13/2005, 09:44 PM
An EEEVEEEL veterinarian?

There's a similar one i was trying to find that had the progression of a crack ho over 10 years. Had about 20 pics of the progression from decent looking to....well, ya know....
Old 05/13/2005, 10:04 PM
Registered Member

Meth? Crystal Meth? Or is that something different?

--Dan
Old 05/14/2005, 04:33 AM
Dino - Victim of Women

Quote:
Originally posted by hubris007
There's a similar one i was trying to find that had the progression of a crack ho over 10 years. Had about 20 pics of the progression from decent looking to....well, ya know....
I think I saw something similiar on EBaum's. Might have to give a looksy through there...

"And who could have ever guess that Dino is apparently the smartest man on the planet?" - jgoodrich71
Old 05/14/2005, 05:15 AM
Wangateur & Sauveteur

Quote:
Originally posted by Dannyboy17
Meth? Crystal Meth? Or is that something different? --Dan
Methamphetamine, which can be cooked up in a car trunk, trailer house, fish house or motel room using ammonia, pseudoephedrine, ether and red phosphorous.

Chronic users can exhibit violent behavior, anxiety, confusion, insomnia, paranoia, hallucinations, mood disturbances, and delusions. The reason so many of the faces on Page One have scabs and marks is because of the sensation of insects creeping on the skin (formication.)

Up to 50 percent of the dopamine-producing cells in the brain can be damaged after prolonged use. They also have found that serotonin-containing nerve cells may be damaged even more extensively. Thus, meth users suffer permanent, non-reversible brain damage after a short time.
Old 05/14/2005, 05:20 AM
Wangateur & Sauveteur

"Meth Mouth"

I took this photo a few weeks ago. "Meth mouth" occurs because the saliva flow decreases drastically, causing an overgrowth of bacteria and severe dental decay and gingivitis. This guy had used meth for about five years.

Old 05/14/2005, 05:35 AM
Dino - Victim of Women

Here is another "progression" type thing

Link

Old 05/14/2005, 07:42 AM
An EEEVEEEL veterinarian?

Man chitwood, that's NASTY. And this from a guy that spends half his days doing gingival reconstruction on dogs.
Old 05/14/2005, 08:22 AM
Moved On

hrmmm