Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Lounge
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05/02/2005, 03:53 PM
Registered Member

Should I get an Apple Computer?Dell?

okay guys, here is my story, I bought a 2200$ laptop last august and it is 15.4 inch screen, dvd/cd burner, 256 ram video card, 1 gb ram, 60 gb harddrive...and like, it's been trouble ever since I've gotten it, and it has a virus on it now and it's very frustrating since i have exams and can't use the computer

so I emailed Michael Dell, and he actually has offered me to get a full refund of my money...Should I go with an Apple? Should I keep my dell?

I asked my mom and she said she wants me to have something I can finish college with...So are Apples comparable to Dells? what should I do? I'd love to have a little souped up 12 inch that I could take to class with me...

anyways, now that i am so shocked he said yes, i dunno what to do, opinions needed

Noob
Old 05/02/2005, 07:15 PM
Premium Member

I just bought a Apple iBook, not the top of the line but I love it, very dependable, no virus threats, easy to use operating system and not that expensive. I picked it up for alittle over $1000 with a education discount. The powerbook would be a better choice for you if you are looking for better graphics. Thats just my opinion and I am sure the mac bashing will begin.

Rob
Old 05/02/2005, 07:58 PM
Xenia Philanthropist

Boy this is a topic that has a vast array of opinions.

Personally, I am a PC user. But either works great... especially for a notebook which I assume you mainly use for writing papers and such.

There are a few concerns with Macs, but a couple of main ones such as repair and hardware availability, are less of an issue with a laptop.

There is still less software for a Mac than for a PC, but you probably don't plan on adding a bunch of stuff anyway and the basics will be covered.

Basically, it is a matter of personal preference. If you have a friend with a Mac, borrow it and see what you think. Go to the local computer store and play around on both and see what you are drawn to. Read reviews on the ones you like.

Crystal
Old 05/02/2005, 08:46 PM
Registered Member

okay, anyone else with macs out there? I am still in shock about him refunding all my money!
Old 05/02/2005, 08:56 PM
RC Staff & Thread Pirate

I switched 18 months ago and won't ever go back.

Nuclear winter solves global warming.
Old 05/02/2005, 08:58 PM
Registered Member

Bro if dell is gona give you a FULL refund I would get another dell who can match that deal, or does he mean that they will send you a refurbished one cause that is a whole other story. BTW viruses are sometimes not that hard to get rid of have you tried norton or macafee ?
Old 05/02/2005, 11:51 PM
Registered Member

I'll build you a laptop for less. I use the same shells as dell, sony, hp. so it's the same thing but without the sticker on it.
Old 05/03/2005, 12:34 AM
Premium Member

What you really need to do is to ask someone who uses both Macs and PCs regularly to tell you what you they think. My experience is that our IT guys who were once hard core PC based folks now readily admit the Mac has a superior OS and hardware setup - over Windows based machines. It is statistically true that there is less software available for Macs, but for what? Unless you are looking to run a specific game or specilized/custom/proprietary piece of software made only for PCs, you don't need no stinkin' PC. You can do anything (and more) on a Mac and have it come out nicer, with less pain.

I have to spend part of my day using a PC because it is connected to a company PC network serving PC software. I spend as little time on it as I can. When I want to get something "done" I go to my Mac, and leave my co-workers cussing at the PCs. [Its like a Red Sea Skimmer vs a Euro-Reef!]

BTW: "Office" is available for both Mac and PC and the files are interchangable, as is the case with a number of other commonly used applications - Photoshop, Filemaker, etc.

Remember the BETA video format? Ask anyone in the profession and they will tell you it was a superior format for video. VHS took off because of marketing - not quality. Such is/WAS the case with the Mac vs the Win-tel box.

My only "gripe" with Apple is that they continually upgrade their OS and contained software, albeit, "improving" the OS, but at the same time, making it more power/processor demanding -> causing older machines to slow down -> causing you to want buy a newer machine - from them!

RS
Old 05/03/2005, 12:42 AM
DON'T PANIC!

macs can get viruses too but not as likely thay are more stable and more secure since they are unix based. but then again if you have a problem call around and see who will work on a mac. Macs and PC'S don't play well togeather they don't like to talk to each other very easily. I like a pc better if you know how to keep it clean from viruses and spyware. check out www.trendmicro.com they have a free online scan. scan it while in safe mode. otherwise back up data and format hard drive and reinstall windows the cabs are probably on your drive.
Old 05/03/2005, 12:59 AM
Registered pineapple

Mac is the only way to go I own 2 ibooks and an I mac. Would not trade them for anything pc. my .02

CPT.
Old 05/03/2005, 01:24 AM
Registered Member

ok i have had a dell pc and a powerbook g4 laptop the mac has no problems and with virtual pc you can run any pc based program on a mac. ]

but i still say if you can have both thats the way to go so get 1 now and the other later
Old 05/03/2005, 07:50 AM
Monkey

beep.... beep.... beep...

Old 05/03/2005, 07:55 AM
yawn

Mac doesn't get as many viruses because nobody has macs so to make a virus would be a waste of time. I doubt you will be doing video editing, the only thing that I will admit macs to better. So I'd go with a PC. I seriously doubt if you have problems with your mac computer that apple will be as kind as dell. If Dell was nice enough to refund you the money I would stay with them. Plus if you don't know the difference between mac and dell then buying a mac would drive you nuts for a while. It's like writing left-handed for a while navigating in a mac when you're new to it. I'd go with dell.

And tell Michael Dell I said Whatup!

---B rian to the D
Old 05/03/2005, 08:06 AM
Aspiring Polymath

I am a mac user now, and I will never go back. The single biggest reason is the operating system. OS X has no rival in terms of usability and elegance. All of the annoying stuff that happens on a PC doesn't happen on a mac.
Old 05/03/2005, 08:11 AM
yawn

You know I hear vauge comments like yours all the time from mac users. They like macs better because of the operating system. But they never tell me why, specifically, they like OS better.
Old 05/03/2005, 09:09 AM
RC Staff & Thread Pirate

Quote:
Originally posted by nicholasvilppu
macs can get viruses too but not as likely thay are more stable and more secure since they are unix based. but then again if you have a problem call around and see who will work on a mac. Macs and PC'S don't play well togeather they don't like to talk to each other very easily.
Yes - Macs could get viruses, but there aren't ANY yet.

I use a mac in an office entirely of windows users. We do the same work without having to jump through any hoops. PCs and Macs can live and interact on the same network the same was as two PCs can. I can even share drives and printers out to the Windows folks.

It's important to ask anyone that you're asking Mac questions from to find out how recent their experience is. I would not own a Mac OS9 and prior. OS X (aka. Jaguar, Panther, Tiger...) is a completely different machine.

People get hung up about software. The usual argument is that "XX isn't available on Mac. I need XX." First off, that may or may not be true. If it's a mainstream application chances are very good it's available. Second you have to decide, "do I really need XX, or do I just need to be able to do that task?" In most cases it's the later. Don't focus on the application title, focus on the work that you need to do. The flexibility the Mac gives you wins that argument in my opinion.

Old 05/03/2005, 09:22 AM
yawn

Ya but what is the flexibility?
Old 05/03/2005, 09:32 AM
RC Staff & Thread Pirate

I can run what ever application I want, at the same time, no rebooting.

If I need to run nessus, nmap or ethereal (all open source linux tools), Microsoft Visio and Apple Pages to get a job done, I can. All at the same time. If I want to take the result, convert it to a movie and burn it to DVD for a client, I can. No extra software to buy, no extra hardware to buy.

The automation tools, built in to the OS, allow to build work flows that automatically handle repetitive tasks. The unix backend allows me to do scripting, database and text handling tasks in minutes that would take hours on a Windows machine.

I make my living with computers. I've had several customers switch just after seeing what I'm able to do with my powerbook.

Old 05/03/2005, 09:53 AM
Monkey

Quote:
Originally posted by beerguy
I make my living with computers. I've had several customers switch just after seeing what I'm able to do with my powerbook.
I wondered what that slot in the back was for...
Old 05/03/2005, 10:15 AM
RC Mod

I was a windows user at home, and still have to be a windows lemming at work. I now use a Mac at home. I will never go back.

Why you ask? For all the reasons stated above and in other threads. Switching to the Mac was simple. My wife didn't understand why I switched until she started using my ibook. Now she keeps using it, which her windoze laptop sits in the case at home. She's not computer savy, yet she quickly figured out how to navigate around, and now finds OS X easier and more intuitive.

The whole argument that mac's have less software available makes no sense to me personally. I can run applications for linux, apple, and also windows(with virtual machine).

You have to ask yourself what you plan to do with it. If it's a ton of gaming, well then go windows. But laptops aren't ideal for games period, so I suspect this computer is for all around school, work and home use. With occasional gaming.

The beauty behind Mac's begins when you shop for one. Walk into you local apple store. You'll find knowledgeable staff willing to show you things and answer questions. They use the products and are familiar with them. Once you take it home, if you find a reason to call technical support, you will find yourself talking to a representative in the states, fluent in English. With Dell, you will get someone from a foreign country, who you may find difficult to understand.

What I'm trying to say is that with Apple, It's not just the OS that makes the Apple experience better. On top of a better computing experience, you also experience better service and support.

This is all IMHO and IMHE. Lastly, I do think it is pretty cool that Michael Dell gave you a refund. Kudos to him for that.
Old 05/03/2005, 05:22 PM
Registered Member

First off... people often complain about their computers because they get spyware and viruses etc. If you take proper precautions you can easily avoid this. Some examples: buy Norton anti-virus, download ad-aware, use Firefox instead of IE, and don't download free screensavers and other cr@p.

As for Mac vs. Windows. Mac OSX is by far more secure. Mac OS9 sucks, but when they switched to using the FreeBSD source for their operating systems (which is a flavor of UNIX) suddenly it is good. Windows is incredibly unstable and has numerous security flaws. They also struggle more with hardware compatability because they don't manufacture the computers, they only make the OS. Apple has hardware built specifically for them. The good thing about Windows is that it runs on cheap hardware, so it is less expensive.

What do I prefer? A Sun machine with the latest version of Solaris on it. 2nd I prefer an Intel based computer running Linux (because it is cheap and good). For the average user a Mac would be better though because of the easy user interface.
Old 05/03/2005, 05:26 PM
Registered Member

I would go with a Dell.
Old 05/03/2005, 07:03 PM
Registered Member

revance you and many other people say "Some examples: buy Norton anti-virus, download ad-aware, use Firefox instead of IE, and don't download free screensavers and other cr@p." but the point is, I don't want to have all of this security stuff, I just think I should have a computer without having to have a strong line of defense. It seems with windows you are always worried about this or that, and you have to have this to counter that, I just want to use my computer for goodness sake!

I've spoken to a lot of people about their apple notebooks, I will definitely go with one, I am just deciding on the 15 inch or the 12...the HD 15 really sounds nice for DVDs...

yea Michael Dell is the man for doing this , and I have to agree with Mark, everytime i have something wrong with my computer, I have to wait on the line for 40+ minutes and speak to a guy named "Bob" from India(true story!)

thanks for all the input so far guys!

Noob
Old 05/03/2005, 08:31 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by NoobieNemo
I don't want to have all of this security stuff, I just think I should have a computer without having to have a strong line of defense. It seems with windows you are always worried about this or that, and you have to have this to counter that, I just want to use my computer for goodness sake!
I think a powerbook or ibook would be a great computer for you.

BUT...

I hate to break it to you... no matter what kind of computer you have, you need to take measures to protect it. If you aren't willing to take precautions, you are going to end up screwed. Macs are much more stable and secure because they are UNIX based, but they aren't bulletproof, nor are the applications that run on them. It upsets me to see people who don't take any precautions, then blame it on the computer manufacturer. Especially when you had a Dell (which comes with Windows). Why should Dell be responsible for you having software problems (probably due to spyware)? They don't warrant the software anyway, they don't make the software. They merely put 3rd party computer parts together and install Windows.

If that is your attitude, I feel very sorry for you.
Old 05/03/2005, 09:27 PM
Registered Member

wow calm down revance...

of course I'll take measures to protect any computer i'll buy.

Noob