Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03/14/2005, 12:09 PM
Registered Member

What do you think of my plan...

The more I read and talk to people about Damsels, the more concerned I am getting for adding fish to my tank. I have had my fist for about 3 weeks now. They seem ok towards each other, but my yellow tailed does have a tendancy to chase the other 2 fish around once in a while. So far all 3 fish seem to be doing fine, but I am still worried about the well being about future fish.

So here's my plan: I would like to keep the Damsels so long as they behave themselves and I hear they are a nightmare to catch. I was wondering if I went with a foxface or a tang next if they would act as my tank bouncer. They both are good with other fish, so long as you don't mess with them. My thinking is if one of my damsels steps out of line, the bouncer will take care of them. What do you think??
Old 03/14/2005, 12:21 PM
Registered Member

Just so I'm clear, your idea is to get a fish that's non-aggressive unless it's provoked, so if your damsels provoke it they'll be attacked? To me, that sounds pretty hit-or-miss. Better to get the damsels out now. They are hard to catch, but the sooner the better.
Old 03/14/2005, 12:32 PM
Registered Member

Yes that was my plan. It just sucks because I don't have any problems with the Damsels. There even nice looking fish, but I don't want them attacking other fish.
Old 03/14/2005, 12:37 PM
Registered Member

You don't have any problems yet. Some people have no problems at all with damsels to start off, but it's really not a good idea to bet on that being the case forever as they do get more aggressive with age and size. Mine were perfectly well-behaved for several months, at which point the damsels just started being very aggressive towards anything that ventured towards "their" part of the tank. Since "their" part of the tank was the majority of the tank, I had to excise them. It wasn't fun, but it would have been a lot worse in an older, more completely established tank.
Old 03/14/2005, 12:47 PM
Registered Member

Hmmm...this sux...What did you do with your Damsels? Do LFS take them back?
Old 03/14/2005, 12:52 PM
Registered Member

I gave them back to my LFS. As for what you should do with yours, that would totally depend on your LFS. Be sure to ask first.
Old 03/14/2005, 12:53 PM
Registered Member

Damsels might be aggresive to each other, but unless it is downright stupid and has a death wish it won't act aggresively towards other bigger fish.

Believe it or not, i still have a yellowtail damsel in with 2 LIONS, a puffer, and a wrasse. I was sure he'd be lunch one day for one of my lions but much to my suprise they leave him alone. I guess maybe b/c the damsel was in there before I added the lions. Who knows.

But just go about your business adding your other fish, don't worry about the damsels...
Old 03/14/2005, 01:01 PM
Registered Member

My suggestion is to get them out while you still can. I had 10 in my tank to start with, because they were hardy and cheap. I added a Lion and he did eat three but the 7 that were left started to pick on his spines and fins. THey were to fast for him to catch. I too added a Foxface Lo. He also was picked on. I ended up taking all my rock out of my 120 to be able to catch them and gave them back to the LFS.

Take them out while you still can!
Old 03/14/2005, 02:22 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by svb57
My suggestion is to get them out while you still can. I had 10 in my tank to start with, because they were hardy and cheap. I added a Lion and he did eat three but the 7 that were left started to pick on his spines and fins. THey were to fast for him to catch. I too added a Foxface Lo. He also was picked on. I ended up taking all my rock out of my 120 to be able to catch them and gave them back to the LFS.

Take them out while you still can!
Wow!! That sucks! Your damsels picked on a Lion??? Mean F'ers!!