Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03/14/2005, 03:11 AM
Registered Member

Tangs... Again...

Hi,

Can a Regal Tang, a Chevron Tang, and a Pacific Sailfin Tang coexist comfortably in a 120-gallon reef?

I figure since there's both lots of open space and lots of rock, and all three are from separate genuses, this might be okay. I'd get as small tangs as possible, and these would be the largest fishes in the reef. The other fish would be mostly little gobies, blennies, maybe a wrasse, and a small school of chromis.

I would do my best to introduce them all at the same time, but if I can't, what order should they be introduced in? Does it matter?

Within 3 years, I plan to do an in-wall 240-gallon tank and everyone would be moved into that once completed.

Thanks!
Old 03/14/2005, 12:53 PM
Registered Member

There's no reason that it can't be done, however, you've already noted all of the caveats. A 120 would certainly not support their adult sizes (especially Z. veliferum), and adding them at the same time would help. Chevron->Sailfin->Regal would be my addition sequence, based on typical aggression, with each new specimen as large as the existing ones, to avoid a new runt being bullied. Be prepared to re-aquascape to shake up established territories if conflicts arise. And don't forget to QT in at least a 30g tank!! I learned the hard way!

Good luck,
Pete
Old 03/14/2005, 11:51 PM
Premium Member

Those are the three tangs that I had in my 150 gallon. I had the three of them together for two years with no problems until my chevron lost an eye. After that he was picked on by the other fish and wasted away. I added my Chevron last and should have added it first. It is the most docile out of the three. I agree with Pete add the Chevron, Sailfin and then Regal.
Old 03/15/2005, 12:00 AM
hobbyist

I'll cast the dissenting vote here. The problem being that the planned upgrade may fall through for any number of reasons, and then you're stuck with some overgrown fish that really need more room.
I have a five foot 120 and won't put a single tang in there, simply due to what I believe is too limited a space given their swimming patterns. I think keeping a single specimen in your existing tank until the upgrade and then adding the other two is plausible. In three years, these three fish are going to be competing for space, even if purchased as juveniles.
JMO.
Old 03/15/2005, 12:11 AM
Registered Member

Hi

I think before I tortured them I'd re-home them... Not nice seeing such lovely fish die. The upgrade will not fall through, by simple virtue of the fact that within 3 years (more likely 2) I'm moving into a new home. At that point we're having the new system built into the wall, stabilizing it, and moving the contents of the 120 into the new tank. Then I'll worry about moving the 120 "dry" because I simply cannot imagine moving a tank that size "wet" in one afternoon. Oh, I get a headache just thinking about it! I moved a 30-gallon and that was enough for me!