Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03/13/2005, 02:52 PM
Registered Member

No visible algae in QT tank - what will Blenny eat?

I just got a Royal Gamma and Lawnmower yesterday and the Blenny doesn't take to the flake food and any algae built up in the tank *seems* gone after going to hyposalinity (1.008) and put a carbon filter in.

What can I pick up from the store to take the place of algae until he goes in the main tank? I feed my crab tank with frozen shrimp - is this recommended for Blennys as well?

Thanks

(Hyposalinity article - thanks Stuart: http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issu...2004/short.htm)
Old 03/13/2005, 06:15 PM
Premium Member

Getting an algae blenny to eat prepared food can be difficult, but it can be done. My redlip blenny ignored all prepared food for about a year... and then suddenly discoved that it tastes really good.

Try some algae based frozen food. LifeLine has some foods for herbivores that may tempt him. Mine likes Formula 2.
Old 03/14/2005, 07:07 PM
Registered Member

Hey again, Stuart. Thanks for the reply - I will look for some Formula 2 next round of shopping. Apparently, the Blenny got hungry enough to snag the leftover flakes on the bottom of the tank. Blennys are pretty funny to watch.
Old 03/14/2005, 07:16 PM
Professional Aquarist

Another thing to try to sushi nori/seaweed selects.

19th Annual Marine Aquarium Conference of North America (MACNA)
in Pittsburgh, PA September 14-16, 2007
Old 03/14/2005, 07:36 PM
Registered Member

I guess i got lucky, or was lucky, my lawnmower blenny was the only thing that survived in my tank in its early days, not even the so called hardy damsels survived in it at first, eventually the problems cleared up (long story, dumb newb mistake) and my tank started thriving, algae blenny kept living off of algae in the tank, eventually though one day when i was feeding frozen foods my blenny darted up knocked my large lunare out of the way and took a huge helping of mysid shrimp and he was eating frozen and flake foods until last thursday when he misteriously died...