Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02/20/2005, 09:19 PM
Registered Member

lookdown?

any1 here of a fish called lookdown? i saw one at my LFS today and it looked really cool. the kid working there didnt know nething about it. any1 here have one or know anything about them? thanks
Old 02/20/2005, 09:24 PM
Soul of a Sailor

Yeah they get huge, almost two feet, so unless your tank is several hundreds (maybe thousands?) of gallons it will get too big.
Old 02/20/2005, 10:43 PM
Registered Member

alls i no is a went about 20 feet out in the bay with a say net to get bait for fishing and i caught about 20 of them the first time i went out alone with som kind of angel last august (i set them free)
Old 02/21/2005, 12:20 AM
Registered Member

They are an extremely common fish on the East Coast. Unfortunately they are not the toughest of fish. Both times I have gone trawling in a shrimpboat literally dozens were caught as bycatch. I fail to understand why they have such out of whack prices.
Old 02/21/2005, 12:53 AM
Registered Member

my lfs wanted $100 for one, but i wanna kno who by me is gunna buy a fish that gets 2 feet
Old 02/21/2005, 01:18 PM
Registered Member

We have 12 of them in a 1500 gallon cyclinder. They are great fish. They take a while to start eating strongly. They don't ship the best. They love being in schools and they swim around the cyclinder sonstantly. I don't think they are good fish for a square or rectangle tank. I've seen them in them and it just seems weird. They like to constantly swim and it seemed like they really didn't like having to keep turning around and swimming from end to end. These fish are for big tanks(public aquariums) or large cylinder aquariums IMO.
Old 02/21/2005, 01:57 PM
Registered Member

Somefish can be aquarium fish...then you look at other fish and they are 100% ocean fish and nothing else. I wouldn't want a Tuna in my tank and I wouldnt' want a lookdown.
Old 02/22/2005, 02:32 AM
Registered Member

i knoe someone who has a lookdown in their 800gallon. very cool fish. The aquarium of the americas has several of them in their walk through tunnel tank thing. 100-200 is a common price here in NOLA. They are a little fragile and they need alot of room. They will also eat any fish they can fit in their mouths.
Old 02/22/2005, 02:39 AM
Premium Member

They are cool, but there is also one that looks just like it except it has streamers. I saw it only once at a store.
Old 02/23/2005, 04:28 PM
Soul of a Sailor

Young lookdowns have streamers. There are several similar looking fish, such as the African Pompano that have them as juveniles too.
Old 02/23/2005, 05:27 PM
Moved On

A friend of mine has two in his 500 gallon FOWLR, has had them over a year now and they eat like pigs. Pretty cool fish, they make Tangs look slow when they start darting around the tank!!!

He only paid $45.00 each for his.
Old 03/13/2005, 08:41 PM
Registered Member

i've had one now for about a week and a half, and it is quite an interesting fish to look at....i can't seem to get him to eat anything, and have tried just about everything...i picked him up directly from a wholesaler the day after he was caught, so im assuming that it is just a little had getting used to being confined in a tank without his buddies.....any thoughts??