Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > Corallimorpharians

Old 02/14/2005, 07:53 PM
Registered Member

What is happening to this Shroom?

Gents,

I took over 20 pictures but can't get a great angle. I have many shrooms and never have seen this...It seems as if the guts of this mushroom have come out of the mouth. It is a white frilly look. Can anyone tell me what is happening?
[IMG]Picture of The Mushroom[/IMG]

Thanks as always for the help.
Cheers Irish
Old 02/15/2005, 10:23 AM
master of junk mail

Those are its guts for lack of a better word. I have some that spew them out every once in a while but it never seems to adversly affect them. I've also seen them come out when I've fragged shrooms. As long as they appear healthy otherwise I wouldn't worry.
Old 02/15/2005, 04:25 PM
Registered Member

they do that when they are irritated. check your water parms. and make sure he's not getting burned by being to close to a light. also make sure that there aren't any LPS corals nearby that are stinging him.
Old 02/22/2005, 06:29 AM
Registered Member

I am loosing one every couple of days to this condition. This colony is not near any LPS/SPS. I will be grabbing a phosphate test kit. All parms are fine. Slightly elevated nitrates. .05
Don't know what to do....
Irish :<
Old 02/22/2005, 04:13 PM
Registered Member

The mushroom is definatly irritated. It could be because of water parameters, lighting, chemical warefare, or fish or inverts bothering it. How long have you had it in your tank? COuld also be stress due to shipment.
Old 03/12/2005, 07:57 AM
Registered Member

Are all the shrooms in your tank doing this or just one colony? A while back, we bought some hairy shrooms and they all melted after a few weeks but other mushrooms in the tank did fine (even those near the ones that died).
Old 03/13/2005, 12:05 AM
Registered Member

I had an odd thing happen like about a year ago.
I had these lavender shrooms for about 3 yrs and all of a sudden they started dying off one by one.
It was like yours where they would kinda split down the center and then fall off and die.
I had many other shrooms and corals in the tank and nothing else was affected.
I never found the reason but 2 of them managed to live and are doing great again now.
I did start adding seachems reef plus every 2 weeks which improved all of my corals but I dont know if it saved the 2 that remain I doubt it.
I always wondered if they got some kind of fungus/disease but its odd none of my other shrooms got it then.
I dont keep my salinity as high as yours either mines at 1.024-1.025.
Good Luck! hope some of them make it

kass03
Old 03/13/2005, 01:26 PM
Registered Member

Not sure if you used a flash to take that picture, but it appears maybe your mushrooms are way too close to the light.

Just a thought!

Garlic works for dogs too!
Old 03/14/2005, 08:16 PM
Registered Member

I've had that happen with my purple and red discosomas while later the guts seem to float off and land somewhere else and make another =). From my experience in my tank...I interpret it as a form of reproduction.

It also occurs when i frag the discos so....not really sure what to make of it. But as you can see they're doing great. (though the picture sux)

I really wouldn't worry about it. Just doing it's thing.

M.
Old 03/15/2005, 07:44 AM
Registered Member

Interesting!!

Kass,
The systems you described are almost identical to the situation in my tank. I had a colony of about thirty. Lost all but two. The two remaining look fine. During the "spree of death" I tested my water params constantly all seemed to be within limits. I also did quite a few water changes. Things have been stable for 3 weeks. The process of lossing 28 took a meer 5 days. Unbelievable. Maybe a pathogen of some kind?
Thanks for all of your suggestions and help.
Cheers
Irish
Old 03/16/2005, 03:51 PM
Registered Member

I cant remember but it was longer than 5 days mine did that.
My water all checked out also and nothing else was lost or affected.
They would look great one day and the next die off. I had maybe 10 of them but they were large like 4-5 inches.
Good luck hope the remaining ones live.
Do you add iodine to your tank? might help, seachems reef plus has alot of iodine in it plus other things. I add it twice a week now and everything has improved greatly.

kass
Old 03/16/2005, 05:54 PM
Abba-Zaba!

If one looks real bad you could try a FW dip, I dont know if they works on shrooms though (couldnt hurt try try if it were to die as kass & irish say)? Had you been feeding alot?
Old 03/18/2005, 11:30 AM
Registered Member

One possibilty could be some sort of worm, like a bristle worm eating your mushrooms causing death. I have bristleworms in my tank, and while I think they are both good and bad, I also believe that if you have them in your tank, they should be fed. If you can catch them even better! But this is almost impossible as they move as swift as snakes if not faster.

Actually, I have one about 10 inches living in a rock that my Colt Coral is on and another living within a colony of mushrooms. I noticed this one day after observing some damage to my corals base. I started watching my tank at night and saw the worm at the base chewing it. They are beautiful, but dangerous when hungry. You will read mixed opinion about bristleworms and this is mine. I noticed that when I put food near the rock the worm lives in he would eat and the nibbling on my coral stopped.

Here is my coral now...

And mushrooms...
[IMG] http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/...416_edited.jpg [/IMG]

Just a thought !

Old 03/18/2005, 11:31 AM
Registered Member

If you can't beat 'em ...join ' em!

Old 03/23/2005, 09:25 AM
Premium Member

mesenterial filaments..... they get spewed out for no particular reason. Could be any number of stressors