Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/23/2001, 10:07 PM
possum chauffeur

Unhappy That damn Mantis Is Clinking Again

Well after joining this board recently, I leaarned I have a mantis shrimp in my 7 gallon nano reef. NOWS HE IS CLICKING AGAIN. That is an annoying sound. How do I get the ******* out. I don't know where he lives. I have seen him shooting around the tank a few times. The are super fast!! He is about 1 to 2 inches. He already got my Bicolor Blennie and my Cleaner Shrimp. Now I am worried about my firefish. Any Suggestions?
Old 11/24/2001, 07:47 AM
Moderator Emeritus

There
I think you will have better luck over in this forum

best regards
jim
Old 11/25/2001, 06:29 AM
Registered Member

Hey jim I just caught that little b*****d today out of my tank. I seen him in one of my rocks so I quickly moved a couple of rocks off of the one he was in then I pulled that rock out and put in some fresh water waiting for him to come out, then my girlfriend said " I just heard that clicking noise again" and then spotted it in an empty hermit crab shell then I quickly grabbed the net and scooped him out. No More Worries, For Now.
Old 11/25/2001, 04:38 PM
RC Staff
American

Congrats on the catch!!! I still can't get mine. But his day will come!

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved

at the same level of thinking we were at when we

created them." Albert Einstein

I'm pretty sure it's Mike's fault.....
Old 11/26/2001, 01:05 AM
Proud reefaholic

I´ve found 2 mantis shrimps in my 130, the first one came with 25 lbs of lr and was about 3" he costed me about 10 turbo snails ($2 each), i waited him to be at on side of my tank and rapidly started taking rocks from centre to side of my tank to isolate him, I worked well, the second came with a rock and was easier.
But the point here is that in my opinion, if you find a mantis in your tank it is very worthing to take out each and every single rock in order to get rid of him.
Old 11/26/2001, 02:06 AM
Registered Member

Baby Mantis Shrimp

I recall seeing some tiny organisms lurking around the crushed coral that I previously had in my reef tank. Real small suckers, but was just wondering if anyone has any pictures of tiny baby mantis shrimp. Reason is because I've noticed alot of these little creatures around, especially in the dark, and I was hoping that none of these are baby mantis shrimp...if so, I'm in big trouble...
Old 11/26/2001, 02:16 AM
Registered Member

DZNUTS, most likely you are seeing amphipods, do a search on the net for it.
Old 11/26/2001, 05:43 AM
Registered Member

Hey Dznuts, here is a thread from Drewman with pictures of the one he caught.
Old 11/26/2001, 05:44 AM
Registered Member

http://archive.reefcentral.com/vbull...threadid=47396
Old 11/26/2001, 08:57 AM
I like rocks.

I just found one of these guys in my tank a few dys ago. Funny thing is, he's had to have been in there for a while, since I haven't added live rock for a good many months. I don't think he's attacked any of my snails, my cleaner, or my maroon clown. He's too small to get my 3" maroon I think, but I'm surprised he hasn't gone for my cleaner (now dead--thanks alot oceanic for your GREAT friggin tanks ). I guess he might have gotten like two snails but I don't think so. Anywhere, he's really pretty so I'm going t keep him in my 2.5 gallon nano. I'm trying the bable bottle method to try and catch him. I've got tuna in there right now, but I don't think it's working. I'm going to bait it with some krill ater tonight. WIsh me luck.
Old 11/26/2001, 10:19 AM
Registered Member

Mantis

I already pulled one Mantis out of my tank late last year, but I think there may be another one in there. I couldn't get him out of the rock with fresh water, so I ended up using a needle nose pliers!

I consistently hear two "clicks" every so often at night, but I cannot isolate where it is coming from in my tank. I have never seen the thing creating these clicks, and it has never harmed any turbo snails or fish that I have, and I've heard these clicks for over a year. My current method of operation is "if it doesn't harm anything, don't worry about it."

Should I care? I know what Mantis shrimp can do, but I'm not even sure this is one since I can't find him!
Old 11/26/2001, 10:46 AM
Registered Member

alligator

IMHO I would lean toward a pistol shrimp. mantis shrimps and pistols do make different sounds. mantis shrimps hit rocks so if the sound sounds like some one hitting a rock then it could be a mantis making a home. of course pistol shrimps don't hit rocks to make holes. they click for sound waves to stun victims. then there is the speed of the clicks. pistol shrimp do click faster that mantis shrimps. this of course doesn't always mean that you have either or and takes a trained ear on both accounts.

my biggest clue to tell if its a mantis would be broken snail shells. like someone took a hammer and smashed the shells. I would take pics of my mantis tank but don't have a good micro Digi camera. this will definitely give you an idea what you are looking for.