Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > Corallimorpharians
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/24/2007, 04:34 PM
Premium Member

I feel like I am about finished with Ric's

after gluing the blue and the green/purple for the 3rd time this morning!!! If it comes off again, I think I am just going to let them float. The problem is that they are attached to small pieces of rocks so its not like I can get the foot to attach to another rock. I dont feel comfortable cutting them and then trying to get them to re-attach.

The ones thats doing the best is a small piece of green/purple. It was unattached free piece. I put it in a hole of a rock and it seems to have attached. Hasn't moved an inch.

I am still watching and praying for the yellow that the black crab got a hold of.

I feel like its $50 down the drain.
Old 12/24/2007, 04:49 PM
Premium Member

Here are some pics. The 2 close together are the Green/Purple and the Yellow. The single on is the Steel Blue. And the one with the Zoas is the free Green/Purple part.

Old 12/24/2007, 05:55 PM
Registered Member

Nice rics. I personally use the rocks in a plastic container and the produce mesh wrapped around the rock methods with good results. I use super glue when fragging zoos. The key with super glue is it has to be dry surface to dry surface and the gel type. Hold it there for about 5-10 seconds and then put it back into the tank on low flow. I don't like super glueing mushrooms cause it can really hurt them if it touchs their tissue but others do it easily.

Also try and find that black crab and kill it. I have a 20 gallon tank and in the past year and a half I have found a mantis shrimp and two different xanthid (sp?) crabs. I caught the mantis shrimp after a year and gave it to a fellow reefer for a species only tank, I caught one of the crabs about a week later with the shot glass method and gave it to the lfs where they fed it to a wrasse and the second crab I saw in a piece of lr and couldn't get it out of the lr so I literally boiled the rock insta-killing the crab and pretty much everything on the rock but it was worth it considering what those crabs can do. I have a huge white rock now lol.
Old 12/24/2007, 06:02 PM
Premium Member

The shrooms are attached to small pieces of rack already. Thats the problem. I try to touch the animal part as little as possible. I dont wanna push them down into the glue to hard. Right now they are on the bottom in low flow areas. Hopefully in a month or so, Ill move them where I like scapeing more.

I found the crab. With Christmas, the kids are home all day. Next school day, Imma stab it with a skewer. Its held up in a piece of LR on the very bottom of the stack.
Old 12/24/2007, 06:08 PM
Registered Member

Heh I was lucky with mine they where in a rock on the top so all I had to do was pull that rock out (~7lbs), With the mantis shrimp I used hypersalinity to get it out and the crab I used 130 degree water to kill it then work its dead body out of the rock with a fork.

I got some Rhodactis polyps that where attached to pieces of CC but all I did was place the polyps on a rock that had two depressions and wraped the rock with that orange plastic mesh you get when you buy oranges and after about 2-3 days I too the mesh off and they are attached to the rock now.

I don't know where they are right now but you could just find a small rock with a small hole or depression in it and set them on it in low flow, maybe wrap some mesh or bridal veil around them and let them attach light that then you could move them.
Old 12/24/2007, 07:00 PM
Registered Member

Do not glue the bare tissue of the shroom to the rock. It will just slime and detach. Glue the attached rock (on the shroom) to whatever rock you want the shroom to be (ie, rock-to-rock glueing).
Old 12/24/2007, 11:18 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SWINGRRRR
The problem is that they are attached to small pieces of rocks so its not like I can get the foot to attach to another rock.
Quote:
Originally posted by SWINGRRRR
The shrooms are attached to small pieces of rock already. Thats the problem. I try to touch the animal part as little as possible. I dont wanna push them down into the glue to hard.
They are already attached to very small pieces of rock. Its gluing that rock to my rock that is the problem. (i.e. rock-to-rock gluing.)

I know what I am doing with them, I am just venting. It seems the cheapo or free frags I never have problems with. Dish out some dough and it makes it tough.
Old 12/24/2007, 11:50 PM
Registered Member

Mix the reef putty with super glue, you will find it quite useful. Also use paper towel to dry the rock a bit before applying the sticky thing.
Old 12/25/2007, 12:36 PM
Registered Member

If you are using Superglue gel. you need to put more on than you think you need. The reason for this is it will skin over as soon as it hits the water. When you positon it on the rock, you need to push it down and twist it to break the skin on the glue so it can attach.
Old 12/25/2007, 02:07 PM
Premium Member

I just get a small plastic container and set the Ricordia in it with a small piece of live rock and let it attach, then glue the live rock wherever I want.

Shout out to Pcola. I was born and raised in Cantonment/Beulah.
Old 12/25/2007, 06:31 PM
Premium Member

lvs- I have since moved from Beulah. I gradeated from Tate in '98.
Old 12/27/2007, 04:48 PM
Registered Member

I just glued down some small rics yesterday, they were attached to some small rubble or sand at the foot. I took out a smaller piece of rock, dried it with paper towel and then took the ric out, dried the foot pretty well and applied the glue to both the rock surface and the rubble on the foot, pushed the 2 together with some decent pressure then i covered the ric with a paper towel that was soaked with salt water. They look ok today, fingers crossed but they are opening up little by little.
Old 12/31/2007, 05:21 PM
Premium Member

Updated pics. Everything seems to be doing ok. The yellow hasn't lost any of its color so I hope its still alive since the crab attack. I cant get the green/purple to open all the way. I think the flow is to high. If its not opening by Wednesday, I am going to move it. The blue is opening huge!! I think by far the blue is my favorite. I just wish they would grow faster!!!!!

Old 12/31/2007, 09:16 PM
Registered Member

That blue is nice. What lighting do you have them under?
Old 01/02/2008, 05:47 PM
Premium Member

Dual 96Watt PC's. 1 bulb is a True Actinic, the other is a 12K daylight.
Old 01/02/2008, 09:45 PM
Registered Member

What size tank is it? I'm debating on whether or not to get a dual 96 watt and put it over a 15 or 20 gallon, one bulb being actinic and the other 50/50.
Old 01/02/2008, 10:05 PM
Premium Member

Its a 65gal. I think they would be to much over a 15 or 20. My fixture is just shy of 35 inches long.
Old 01/02/2008, 10:10 PM
Registered Member

Yea i was thinking they would be too much too. I guess the best option would be to get a Icecap 660 w/ slr's and make a canopy. Thanks.