Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Lounge
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05/23/2005, 05:53 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Wolverine

The problem with what your statement here is what was pointed out above. Of the original three, George Lucas only actually directed the first one. Empire and Return of the Jedi, which were both superior movies to the first, were directed by other people.
YOu know, I hae a hard time using the word "superior" in the same sentence with Return of the Jedi. I would agree if it were not for those darn Ewoks.

People keep harping on the dialog and how shallow they are, I have to say it never really bothered me. I always thought the movies played out as a bit like a comicbook and was never meant to be more (ie Just enough to get the point across or to develop the plot).
Old 05/23/2005, 06:10 PM
I have no catchy title

Why would a wookie want to live on Endor with a bunch of Ewoks? That does not make sense.
Old 05/23/2005, 06:10 PM
RC Mod

Quote:
Originally posted by pi
YOu know, I hae a hard time using the word "superior" in the same sentence with Return of the Jedi. I would agree if it were not for those darn Ewoks.
JarJar made the Ewoks watchable. The space sequences make up for that for RotJ.

There was one other thing that really bugged me about the new movie. The twins. Those kids were humongous for singlets, much less for twins. She must have been 2 or 3 months past due. That's what killed her, not losing her will to live. I thought I was just being picky about that, but a lot of other people I've talked to noticed it also.

Dave
Old 05/23/2005, 06:14 PM
I'm Rick James @#$%&

those dudes where huge......

your not the only one........

rememeber, the best place to store alcohol is your bloodstream....
Old 05/23/2005, 06:37 PM
Registered Member

Lucas may say he's not going to do any movies but that doesn't mean anything. I'm sure 7-9 would bring the same half million dollars in the first night just like the others did. With that kind of money coming in, anything is possible.

As for the movie, I did have a friend that noticed that luke comes first and is held close to her face and leia comes second. In one of the earlier movies, Luke and Leia are talking and she mentions memories of her mother and that she was sad, but Luke says he has no memory. Unless she is referring to her adobted mother, something is wrong.
Old 05/23/2005, 07:13 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
You people are hilarious. He's an egomaniac because he doesn't want other people doing his stories? Wasn't he the guy that made the first three movies that all the weird star wars geeks worship? And all of the sudden "Man that Lucas guy doesn't know what he's doing!", no I think you guys don't know what you are doing. If I were to have to take sides on how a star wars movie should go I think I'll prolly take Lucas's side. I think he may have put a lil more time and thought in it. It's just hilarious.
Whoa, calm down man. I will give Luas credit where its due. He CREATED Star Wars, without him it would have never been around. He has a great talent in writing rough screenplays (The outline of the films) and knows how to split up the stories nicely.

However, he is not a very good director or dialogue writer. I just wish he had the ability to admit this and let someone else direct the movies. They had so much more potential.

~
Old 05/23/2005, 07:14 PM
Registered Member

i didnt get the new star wars but then again i never understude any of them
Old 05/23/2005, 07:19 PM
I'm Rick James @#$%&

Quote:
Originally posted by puffer21
i didnt get the new star wars but then again i never understude any of them
Thats actually a good thing. now you can see it from the the start..

take a day out and just get yourself
phantom menace
clone wars
revenge of the sith
a new biggining
empire strikes back
return of the jedi

and you should follow it just fine

Old 05/23/2005, 09:42 PM
RIP-You'll be remembered

You mean a New Hope... not a new beginning.

Newbs

I personally thought all the movies were fantastic.... couldn't ask for more.
Old 05/24/2005, 01:12 AM
Registered Member

Don't forget Blue Harvest
Old 05/24/2005, 03:01 AM
Xenia Philanthropist

Some other questions about the new movie.

1. Obi Wan is on the wookiee planet and even says Chewbacca's name in the new movie. Yet when he meets Han and Chewie in A New Hope, the name "Chewbacca" doesn't ring a bell with him? Seems like Chewie is a memorable guy.

2. Obi Wan spends a lot of time around Anakin and R2D2. Yet when R2D2 finds him on Tatooine, Obi Wan says something to the effect of "What do you have for me, little droid?" I understand they wiped the memories of the robots (or at least C3PO) but wouldn't Obi Wan remember THEM?

3. Anakin has enough control over the force to throw people, ships, buildings, etc. But he isn't able to knock some little gangly-legged robots off his ship.

4. And speaking of little robots, there seems to be a lot more technology at this time than when Luke grows up. At this point, R2D2 is able to eject himself forcefully and jump out of a ship, but 25 years later, they have to pull him out with a big suction cup. The little ship-ripping robots also disappear over time.

Maybe I am putting too much thought into this?

Crystal
Old 05/24/2005, 06:18 AM
I'm Rick James @#$%&

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by Jordan55
You mean a New Hope... not a new beginning.

Newbs

I personally thought all the movies were fantastic.... couldn't ask for more.
thats what i meant.....lol

Old 05/24/2005, 11:25 AM
ectoreef

Quote:
Originally posted by Wolverine
I had thought that the worst, tackiest line of the movie was "She's lost the will to live". Dave
She had preeclampsia. The Trade Federation blocked all transport of MgSO4 so she couldn't be treated. I think it was in one of the books.
Old 05/24/2005, 11:57 AM
Registered Member

No, by far the tackiest line in the whole movie was the end with Darth Vader saying, "Nooooooooooooooooooooooo"

That whole "Noooooo" thing is so parodied now that I'm nearly shocked it was included as dialog.

The best line is when Anakin told Obi-Wan "I hate you!"

You also can't fly a ship and use the force at the same time, it just like driving and trying to dial long distance on a cell phone.

AKA *Harley Swingwood*
Old 05/24/2005, 12:04 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by salty toes
Thats actually a good thing. now you can see it from the the start..

take a day out and just get yourself
phantom menace
clone wars
revenge of the sith
a new biggining
empire strikes back
return of the jedi

and you should follow it just fine
ya but in the beggining of this star wars i thought that it was luck till the end when my dad say this is the begging one
Old 05/24/2005, 12:50 PM
Aspiring Polymath

That "NNNOOOOOOO" Vader scene reminded me of that Energizer bunny commercial where Vader's light saber ran out of batteries and he throws a fit. Anyone remember that commercial?
Old 05/24/2005, 01:18 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JENnKerry
Besides, let's just say he would make them. Who would play Solo, Luke and Leai? Surely not the original actors.
Give it a few years for technology to catch up with his vision once again.

Yoda went from a muppet to full blown CGI, when a human face can be convincingly replicated digitally, the next trilogy will begin.
Old 05/24/2005, 01:24 PM
I'm Rick James @#$%&

well we did see tarkin on the ship.....

Old 05/24/2005, 01:56 PM
Registered Member

I prefer the old muppet yoda. The CGI creations allways look too smooth and unnatural to me. I have not watched any of the movies on a digital projector though.
Also as far as who would play those characters, the originals would be fine. It's been about 20 years since Jedi and that would give Anakin Solo plenty of time to grow up if he is to be the main character.
Old 05/24/2005, 02:28 PM
Registered Member

Digital Projection is the only way to go. I saw III on both, watching it on film was a mistake. If you have the means It's worth seeing again on DP you'll be amazed at the clarity. Pretty much it looks like a massive HDTV.
Old 05/24/2005, 03:59 PM
Xenia Philanthropist

Quote:
You also can't fly a ship and use the force at the same time, it just like driving and trying to dial long distance on a cell phone.

If that's true, then why does Ghost Obi Wan tell Luke "Use the force, Luke" when Luke is trying to destroy the Death Star?

Crystal
Old 05/24/2005, 04:04 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
If that's true, then why does Ghost Obi Wan tell Luke "Use the force, Luke" when Luke is trying to destroy the Death Star?
That was more or less just telling him to concentrate better and to let go of the surrounding distractions. To do a force push/throw they need to use their hand.

AKA *Harley Swingwood*
Old 05/24/2005, 07:56 PM
RC Mod

Quote:
Originally posted by CrystalAZ
1. Obi Wan is on the wookiee planet and even says Chewbacca's name in the new movie. Yet when he meets Han and Chewie in A New Hope, the name "Chewbacca" doesn't ring a bell with him? Seems like Chewie is a memorable guy.
I'm pretty sure it's yoda who said Chewbacca.

Dave
Old 05/24/2005, 07:58 PM
Huey Freeman 4 President!

Quote:
Originally posted by zenguitar
That was more or less just telling him to concentrate better and to let go of the surrounding distractions. To do a force push/throw they need to use their hand.
not true. Jedi use the force to enhance they're piloting skills. And JenNKerry's quote is directly related to that. The force doesn't only apply to push/throw stuff with their hands. It's much more than that.

well now that I've established that I'm a star wars nerd....

I must say you all are being too lenient on this triology. I gave it leeway too just because its freakin star wars. I mean come on, we all wanted it to be good.

This third one was the best out of eps 1-3..

they did make yoda look okay, actions scenes were good, story was good.

however although there were improvments.. the acting, dialogue, script were just terrible. Hayden and Natalie have the right "look" for their characters.. but their acting is just disgusting.

several comments that others made about too much visual information with the CG battle scenes and stuff like that- I completely agree.

also- someone mentioned about missing the yoda puppet and such. I totally agree here as well. Although not practical and labor intensive.. I truly wish they would go back to using models and puppets. perhaps they could use CG to dress things up a little.. but I'm dreaming I know. Everything just looks too glossy and perfect in these movies.

THe comments about Lucas being a bad director are completely justified as well. Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi were by far the best out of all the episodes. Mainly due to better direction.

I'm still glad I saw ep 3.. it was worth it and enjoyable. But as someone who truly loves the original star wars (4-7) this newer trilogy was overall a big disappointment for me.
Old 05/24/2005, 09:56 PM
Registered Member

i thought ep 3 was absolutely fantastic- but at times, during the cheesy dialogue b/t anakin and padme- you just cant help but look around at people's expressions in the audience.

but i looked past that and thankfully, the occasionally bad acting didnt really destroy film overall IMO.

what gets me is the lightsaber duels- in ep 1-3, they are so ADVANCED in their fluid fighting style, the rhythm, and the martial arts-style techniques.

ep 4-6 is more sequenced and linear-