Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes

Old 03/13/2005, 07:06 PM
Registered Member

Best way to get rid of Aptasia?

What is the best way to get rid of Aptasia? I can't get any type of shrimp b/c I have a Wrasse that will probably eat them. I can't get a large Angel b/c I already have a Flame Angel. And I can't get a Copperband b/c I have good Polyps he might eat. Suggestions?
Old 03/13/2005, 08:19 PM
Premium Member

I have always had good luck with Joes Juice.
Old 03/13/2005, 09:09 PM
Registered Member

Just read up on "joes juice" and that might be what i'm looking for. there are no ill effects to the fish and other inverts in the tank while using this product?
Old 03/13/2005, 09:37 PM
RC Mod

I've never used Joe's Juice. What I usually do is inject the aiptasia with kalk. Before doing this, I give them a piece of food. This stops them from retracting into the rocks.

Dave
Old 03/13/2005, 11:50 PM
Registered Member

The copperband will probably leave your polyps alone. After it mows down your feather dusters, christmas tree worms & spaghetti worms it will get to work on your aiptasia

I have green zoo's of some sort & a nice colony of yellow polyps. He nipped at the zoos for the first day, but moved on to the worms quickly. he never touched the yellow polyps.

I'm currently cultivating aiptasia in my sump so I have something to feed mine. It's so skittish I haven't been able to hand feed it. Sucker hides when i get near the tank & will not come out as long as i'm around.

It hasn't touched the hawiian feather yet... which is odd. Though i guess I should be thankful.

Manual removal works well as has been mentioned. Boiling r/o water & a turkey baster = dead anenome.
Old 03/14/2005, 12:53 AM
Registered Member

IMAO there is no best way to get rid of it, I like the copper band idea, although my peppermints have done a superb job-
Old 03/14/2005, 02:26 AM
Premium Member

My Copperband never hurt any of my corals I have SPS LPS and a few Zoanthid colonies.

He did however take out the featherdusters.

***Edited as to not hijack
Old 03/14/2005, 11:06 AM
Registered Member

well let me put it this way. i'd much rather not have to keep sticking my arm in the tank every time to inject these things. plus some of them are a very hard to reach location where i don't think i'd be able to get to them.

i'm thinking about a copperband, but i have the following in my tank, would he eat:

Polyp garden - has a nice variety of different polyps (starburst, button, green, etc.)
Green Flower pot
Misc. corals
Waving Xenia

i've spent a chunk of change on those things and wouldn't want the copperband to wipe out the good stuff...
Old 03/14/2005, 11:10 AM
Registered Member

oh i also have a rose anenome with my maroon clownfish...
Old 03/14/2005, 11:35 AM
Registered Member

Kalkpaste. I've found Joe's Juice sometimes takes a couple of try's before the thing is actually dead (and not just sick). And at like $8 for a little bottle - pickling lime is like $2 / lb.

I hate all things with claws. Anyway to answer the question of "will it also eat XYZ?" The only honest answer is "Maybe." In my experience the answer would be "Probably". Ah yes. Fond memories of beating Peppermint Shrimp off my newly purchased polyp coral. I'm sure it lasted an extra two hours because of my efforts.
Old 03/14/2005, 12:26 PM
Registered Member

After extensive reseach, I think my best option is the "Nudibranch Berghia Verrucicornis". It's basically a sea slug that feeds EXCLUSIVELY on Aptasia. So my question is, anyone know where I can get couple of these guys?