Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Invert and Plant Forums > Mantis Shrimp
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/25/2002, 05:13 AM
Premium Member

breeding mantis

Is anyone on this message board breeding mantis shrimps?
Old 01/25/2002, 08:47 AM
Registered Member

its next to impossible.

mantis shrimp have a long planktonic stage.
the power heads, skimmer etc. would kill all the larva before they had a chance to settle out of the planktonic stage.
Old 01/25/2002, 06:35 PM
Premium Member

A few months ago a persone posted a thread where they were giving out mantis shrimps because of how much his pair breeded
Old 01/25/2002, 06:56 PM
Registered Member

they can breed and produce loads of eggs but as agilecrux said the are next to impossible to raise!
dr. roy kept something like 3 out of 100 alive and that was with alot of effort.
Old 01/27/2002, 09:47 PM
Registered Member

I just got a 1" mantis with an order of LR and it is loaded with eggs. It is now in a container in the main tank to protect it from amonia spike. The LR is curing in a 180 gal tank that I will be using as a refugium. Once the rock is cured I plan on putting the shrimp back in. Without predators and pumps/powerheads in the tank what are the chances of survival of the eggs?

Thanks.
Old 01/27/2002, 10:37 PM
Premium Member

I recently bought a book called How To Raise & Train your Peppermint Shrimp. It's a step by step guide on how to raise them from egg to adult. It is a great book for the money. I do vary my procedures from the book though. I also feed in addition brine shrimp nauplii a product called Golden Pearls that the little ones seem to like. I wonder if it is possible to use the same methods to rear young mantis shrimp just out of the egg?
-chris
Old 01/28/2002, 06:24 PM
Registered Member

i think (dr roy) wrote that they have to be seperated from each other for some reason. cant remember why though?.
might be cannabalistic or something?
there is a thread on this board that was about mantis breeding! it was maybe 6 months ago.
Old 02/04/2002, 01:45 PM
Registered Member

The problem was cannibalism if I recall correctly. My pair bred and I don't have any babies running around. Roy mentioned it was next to impossible to raise them.
Old 02/04/2002, 02:37 PM
Premium Member

If you move the fertilized embryo than couldn't the babies have a chance?
Old 02/04/2002, 02:44 PM
Registered Member

My understanding is that each individual will need to be in a separate cantainer. Feeding and water quality would be dificult at best. Dr. Roy only had limited success in a lab environment, therefore I bet my chances of success using cereal bowls in the kitchen are slim to none.
And assuming you could raise them to adulthood, what the heck would you do with them all?
Old 02/04/2002, 04:02 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by KenT
The LR is curing in a 180 gal tank that I will be using as a refugium.
A 180g fuge? Dang, how big is your tank?!?

That's gonna be one happy shrimp....
Old 02/05/2002, 12:47 AM
Premium Member

Rearing young isn't impossible, but it is very, very difficult. Cannibalism is certainly a major problem, but so are disease and food. People have had the greatest success with gonodactylids. They start out relatively large when hatched (a little over a mm) and stay in the plankton for only three to four weeks. When they settle as postlarvae, they will be 6-8 mm total length. Brine shrimp naupli are NOT an adequate food. I have had some success treating brine shrimp naupli with additives such as Selco, but you probably should have other food available as well. Rotifers (for the first couple of stages) and larvae from cleaner shrimp are useful.

My only success came trying to rear young of Gonodactylus chiragra. We isolated 100 larvae the day after they became free swiming (fourth stadium) place each in a 250 ml beaker, provided food and changed the water daily, and after a month, two postlarve settled. All of the others had died.

My guess is that a large "edgeless" rearing tank similar to those used for cleaner shrimp might work if the proper food were available, but mortality from cannibalism would be very high.

Small egged species with long planktonic periods would seem to me to be nearly impossible. These would include Odontodactylids, Pseudosquillids, Squillid, and some Lysiosquillids. If you must have a go at it, stick with gonodactylids.

Roy
Old 02/05/2002, 08:45 AM
Premium Member

Thanks Roy for the info
Old 03/25/2004, 05:05 PM
Registered Member

Who was breeding/giving them away? I'm doof. and can't find the post.

Thx.
Old 03/27/2004, 10:57 AM
Premium Member

My green mantis and red mantis from TBS just had babies in their ten gallon tank a few days ago. There must have been 200 babies swimming around. They looked like small brine shrimp. The parents have been in the tank about two months and I feed them raw shrimp and fish. After three days I only see a few left. I don't really plan on raising them but it will be interesting to see how many survive if any.

I saw someone else post pictures of a pair of TBS mantis mating and they had one green and one red also. Does anyone know if this is a sex difference?

I still have several smaller mantis in my 120 and one in my 40. They haven't caused anyproblems yet.
Old 03/28/2004, 11:38 AM
Registered Member

I'm most positive that the red coloration is found mostly in females. I should be ordering somewhere around 70-95 Lbs of LR for my tank, hoping for some mantis'.