Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/21/2007, 07:12 AM
Hey sweetheart ;)

I have not changed my routine much from May when did the TOTM thing (yes the red house). I do however no longer use the kalk reactor as I found my alk was getting to high. Some corals wer growing like crazy, others bleached. Also, I do not dose Tropic Marin A and K elements, only thing dosed is what comes out of my ca reactor.

I wish I could say my tank and all the corals were great, cn not mislead anyone, but that is not always the case. I recently added about 40 or so SPS to the system (bought from a friend who is moving) and I filled up my ca reactor and turned it up.........and burmed the tips of many acros. I hope with my ca at about 450 they will heal quickly.

Quote:
Originally posted by trueblackpercula
Ok I have seen enough, what an accomplishment you have achieved. I have asked myself this question many times about your setup. How the heck do you get such great colors on your SPS? It has to be your routine maintenance.
I say that the bulbs your are using had me curios, so I picked up one for my tank 20k 400watt Xm my Sps have been improving in color fast. I was using 400watt ushio bulbs great/ fast growth but the color was way to yellow for me.
Alright now let me get back on track. I have noticed that you dose Tropic Marin A and K elements do you think this has attributed to your successes? I also would like to know about how is it you maintain you magnesium level high all the time. Are you dosing manually or do you have a dosing pump that adds all the extras?
I am sorry for all the questions but you have completly blow me away with this tank/system that you have. I only wish you lived closer so that I could learn how a true reefer maintains such a beautiful reef. Well in any case I wish you all the success with your living ecosystem as it is truly a work of art.
Michael
2 Ampmaster 3000's (R&CL)
MTC HSA 1000 Skimmer on a PCX 100
MTC Procal Calcium Reactor

SPS dominated reef
Old 12/04/2007, 10:03 AM
Registered Member

Great tank! Do you have problems with low flow/light at the bases of those large colonies? How do you prevent that? Thanks

Leonardo

"Formosa Forest"
(click red house)
Old 12/04/2007, 11:05 AM
Hey sweetheart ;)

Thanks! No problems with flow, in addition to the estimated 5000 GPH from my return and closed loop I have 3 Tunze 6100's that keep the water moving in a fairly random manner.

I do have problems with light, generally any larger colony mid-tank (some medium size dense colonies as well). Large colonies being 10-12", medium being 5-8".

After correcting my alk. situation I decided to thin out my reef, focussing on specific large colonies and a few gems in the making. The tank is really too packed and I foresee bad things in the future as coral growth is always strong. I plan on lowering my liverock sometime in the future, and I have already started selling some colonies.

I need a change as well. Having done just SPS essentially since early 2003 I will likely introduce some LPS/zoas ect. to the tank. Would also like to start having a bunch of fish again. Having grown 75% of my corals from frags over the years has been rewarding, but sometimes you just need a change to keep your heart in it. Specially with such a tightly packed tank.

Quote:
Originally posted by Leonardo's Reef
Great tank! Do you have problems with low flow/light at the bases of those large colonies? How do you prevent that? Thanks

Leonardo
2 Ampmaster 3000's (R&CL)
MTC HSA 1000 Skimmer on a PCX 100
MTC Procal Calcium Reactor

SPS dominated reef
Old 12/04/2007, 01:18 PM
Registered Member

Cool, if you sell off your corals thats more for us!! JK, but awesome tank! Please let us know if you start selling lots of frags.
Old 12/04/2007, 03:58 PM
Registered Member

Awesome tank! Hope the changes work out well...