Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/24/2007, 03:09 PM
Registered Member

Best ready to go Nano tank?

Hello all, I am interested in getting a nano tank going. It will be my first salt water tank. Mostly for my own interest, but my soon to be 3 year old daughter now "needs a nemo fish" I was wondering what you guys think would be the best way to go. I am planning on starting with a 10-15g tank.

I dont plan on getting to crazy with the tank, maybe just a couple coral and a goby or something to go along with the clown. I read about all the equipment and modifications everybody here is doing and I would like to avoid that if possible until I get a hang of keeping a saltwater tank.

So I guess my question is, would a biocube straight out of the box work good for a basic setup? or would I still need to do some modifications as far as lighting, etc...

Or if there is another nano tank that you guys really like. Let me know!

Thanks in advance.
Old 09/24/2007, 04:27 PM
Registered Member

I think a ready to go nano out of the box will suit your needs. I have the JBJ 12 Gallon Deluxe and its my first saltwater tank. But, I don't think you could really go wrong with any of the nanos on the market for the needs your trying to satisfy. I would recommend waiting before dishing the money out for a "nemo" and maybe buying a cheap fish to see if you can handle it. Its a fun learning experience and its rather amazing to see what is capable of just a little tank. Also its better to ask questions then find out the hard way.
Old 09/24/2007, 04:46 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for the advise CSU. I was just reading some stuff about the JBJ 12g deluxe. Looks like a pretty nice tank.
Old 09/24/2007, 08:10 PM
Registered Member

hey there i have a 29gal bio cube it has been about a month now since ive had it going threw cycle atm i have some live rock and blue damsles and snails that are doing good,what a great tank everything works great the lighting is awesome and the pump built in to the back of the tank is nice,only maintance ive been doing this far into is liquid calicum,iodin soon,and water checks ups weekly thats about it for now,u can get a protein skimmer for them but if u do water changes often u wont have to worry much but if u are gunna do alot of coral than i would go ahead and get one.

goodluck!
Old 09/24/2007, 09:18 PM
Registered Member

wait a few more weeks and definitely check out the new current Solana. Euroreef is coming out with a new nano system as well.
Old 09/24/2007, 09:21 PM
Registered Member

all in one nanos are the new craze
Old 09/24/2007, 10:49 PM
Registered Member

I've got a 12 JBJ DX for my new apartment since I can't sneak a big tank past my landlord. The tank has been great so far, I haven't had to change too much around besides removing bioballs and the like from the back of the tank.

I'd recommend my tank to anyone. It has enough lighting to keep soft and some easy to care for LPS. Perfect all in one package, except the algae scraper sucks....
Old 09/25/2007, 02:30 AM
Premium Member

I shopped around for a bit and I found the BioCube 14 from Oceanic to be the best fit. It works great out of the box (although the stock pump is a bit anemic--I'd recommend upgrading to a Maxi-Jet 900 for better flow), has great lighting, and the build quality is pretty good as far as economical all-in-ones go. Another think I liked about the BC14 is the spacious cabinet. This may or may not be an issue for you, but I like to keep my top-off, salt, testing kits, tools, and electrical stuff hidden from view, and I liked the BC stand the best.

Regardless of what you get, I highly recommend removing the bio-balls and sponge if you plan on keeping corals.

Good luck!

Click the red house to follow along with my BioCube 14 odyssey!
Old 09/25/2007, 06:02 AM
Premium Member

If I were to start all over again I think I'd go with a Cadlights all in one. Somebody started a thread about their cadlights system very recently and, to me, it looks great.

http://www.cadlights.com/
Old 09/25/2007, 08:44 AM
The Original Happy Banana

I also bought a signature 34g nano tank -- it is simply the BEST nano system out there. It also includes everything you need to keep whatever you want (with the caveat that you would likely need some more flow).
Old 09/25/2007, 12:40 PM
Registered Member

check out http://www.nanocustoms.com
Old 10/29/2007, 01:37 PM
Registered Member

Probably won't get a nano system before january february time frame. Cadlights does not have their system for sale until December.

Really like the built in Refugia design. Overall a very impressive system.

Jason
Old 10/29/2007, 06:48 PM
Registered Member

heres a really cool 12G that i have been considering getting for my son's room.

http://www.cadlights.com/product_inf...roducts_id=117

its got a refugium, T5 lighting, good sized pump and the overall look is very stylish designed.
Old 10/29/2007, 08:36 PM
Registered Member

What would you replace the bio balls and sponge with?
Old 10/29/2007, 09:23 PM
Registered Member

Marine Depot has the Aquapod 12 with 70watt HQI on sale for $150. I got mine in the mail today. I have not set it up yet, but it looks to be well made.
Old 10/29/2007, 09:56 PM
Registered Member

Why should you remove the bio balls and sponge?
Old 10/29/2007, 10:19 PM
Registered Member

they are esentially part of a wet dry and are a nitrate factory (or is it nitrite... which ever one is the final step. ) which in small quantities is bad for coral.... fish only would be ok. most ppl suggest replacing with live rock rubble(lil chuncks)

sean
Old 10/30/2007, 12:25 AM
Registered Member

Ditto crazyseany. Nitrate will build there. Bio balls are mostly there for marketing purposes, and maybe FW use.
Old 10/30/2007, 08:12 AM
Registered Member

Yedgy also says to remove the sponge. Isn’t the sponge, the bio balls, live rock, just all forms of biological filtration? You view bio balls and live rock differently? Why would one cause more nitrates than the other?
Old 10/30/2007, 09:04 AM
Registered Member

actually live rock should help break down nitrate because of the anerobic bacteria that existsin the core of the rock where oxygen is lacking.
the sponge and balls do not allow this process. kinda like having a deep sand bed or pendulum(sp?)

hope that helps
sean
Old 10/30/2007, 09:13 AM
Registered Member

what about the cube master?
it has 24 watts T-5 lighting on a 12 gallon....from what I read they redid the lighting to fix any problems for 2007

I too would like to get a nano and am just starting to look around....

sean
Old 10/30/2007, 12:21 PM
Registered Member

I think the better question is: what is your price range?
Old 10/30/2007, 12:23 PM
Premium Member

I am a first time reefer and I purchased the 12g Aquapod HQI from current. I found it for $185 shipped, which is nuts, at petstore.com. They also have the same price at marinedepot.com. It is an AIO (all-in-one) system and comes with a 70w metal halide light, which is arguably the best for your marine life. That will give you about 5.9 watts/gallon, which is middle to low end of the scale. You should be able to do anything you want with corals/fish. I'm not sure if that is enough light for a clam, but you get the idea. I'm assuming that the cubemaster actually has two 24w bulbs, but that is still only 48w's of light compared to 70.

This tank comes with 4 chambers in the back. I broke up some live rock and put it in one of the chambers. The last chamber is where the return pump goes. I took out the return pump and put in an Maxijet 1200. DO NOT be scared of this mod. It is literally taking a piece of rubber hose off of the existing pump and putting it onto another pump. Then dropping the pump into the chamber. The water clarity is great with just live rock and the pump. I took out the sponge because of nitrate concerns and having to wash it "everyday" like some people say. There is a little film on top of the water that I plan to clear off with the addition of some filter floss, which is very cheap and to me looks like a big cotton ball.

Please keep in mind that I am a first time owner of a SW tank and I did these mods with no problems at all. I put water in my tank last Thurs so I am truly new to this. The people on this forum will help you with anything you need help with and will teach you more than any book off of the shelf will ten fold.
Old 10/30/2007, 02:53 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ezcompany
wait a few more weeks and definitely check out the new current Solana. Euroreef is coming out with a new nano system as well.
Where can I find info on the new euroreef nanos?
Old 10/30/2007, 03:33 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jewtball
heres a really cool 12G that i have been considering getting for my son's room.

http://www.cadlights.com/product_inf...roducts_id=117

its got a refugium, T5 lighting, good sized pump and the overall look is very stylish designed.
That comes with only 32w of lighting, your coral selection will be very limited.