Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/10/2006, 01:25 PM
Registered Member

Hey Bronco no problem. I currently have one male variant from Sulawesi. I am getting a female tomorrow and was concerned the female might be bigger than my male.

I was thinking about adding another male pylei from Vanuatu giving me 2 males and 1 female. But decided not to, sorry for the confusion
Old 08/10/2006, 08:27 PM
Premium Member

Need some ID help on what I suspect is a fairy wrasse:

Here are the photos (they aren't the greatest but should be good enough for ID purposes):

The closest looking I could find was on www.pbase.com and it looks to me like a Rosy Scaled-Fairy Wrasse (Cirrhilabrus rubrisquamis).

Thanks a ton for help. Is this a female?

Lee Hoy
Georgetown, TX

P.S. I got it for $25.00
Old 08/10/2006, 09:35 PM
Premium Member

It is a female of Cirrhilabrus solorensis; it is close and very similar to C. cyanopleura in the female stage that has a white abdomen.
Old 08/10/2006, 10:06 PM
Premium Member

Wow, I get an answer from the expert!! After I saw your post, I google searched the latin name and I saw some photos of this species and others you have taken. Gotta love Reef Central with help like this. Thank you very much!!

I really appreciate your help. Now it makes me want to get a male. Would it be safe to introduce a male after she has been there?

Lee
Old 08/10/2006, 10:35 PM
Premium Member

Thank you very much for your comment, and yes, you can introduce males after having the female of the same species, but a larger male would be better. Many crevices in the tank should be provided before you add any Fairy or Flasher.

The smallest male of C. solorensis that I have kept was only 7cm long, and the largest female was over 11cm.
Old 08/11/2006, 09:57 AM
Registered Member

So many beautiful wrasses so little space. Do you guy think i can add any more wrasses to my 72 gallon?

Here is the fish list.
1- Mccoskeri Flasher 2.5 inches
2- Laboutei 3.5 inches
3- Male Flame 4 inches
4- Female Flame 3.5 inches
5- Male Pylei 3 inches
6- Female Pylei 3 inches
7- Lineatus 5 inches
8- Mandarin goby 2 inches

Was thinking about adding 4" Pink Margin and 2" Blue Flasher

What do you guys think?

Thanks,
Steven
Old 08/11/2006, 10:22 AM
Registered Member

I wouldn't add the pink margin. They seem to be a little more aggressive. I would add the blue flasher. I have one & love it.

Welcome back Bronco!!!! We missed ya!!!
Old 08/11/2006, 07:54 PM
Premium Member

i think the pink margins are a waste of space the lineatus is so much more beautiful. Get a rhomboid or a female lineatus.
Def add the blue flasher
Old 08/11/2006, 08:44 PM
Premium Member

heuerfan,

You can add Pink-margin but it seems too crowded, and it may cause a trouble, fighting in a limited space. I do not recommend the larger fish, and you can choose smaller females/ juvenlies in the same genus.
Old 08/11/2006, 10:53 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for the advice everyone, i will pass on the margin and stick with smaller flasher wrasses.

Well, i am pretty disapointed, i'm not sure if this is a female pylei but its in pretty bad shape. Owner had a sixline and a mystery in the tank, he told me he had a male pylei but is missing (i wonder why). It was delivered to me by a friend who picked up for me so i did not see it until i received it

Right now the fish is upside down in a bucket acclimating
Old 08/11/2006, 11:57 PM
Registered Member

Update: unfortunately i did not make it, died in the bucket
Old 08/12/2006, 08:57 AM
Registered Member

heuerfan,

Sorry about the loss. Those sixlines are deadly!
Old 08/12/2006, 10:22 AM
Premium Member

6-lines are the devil. sorry about the loss. I would bring it back, or is that possible?
Old 08/12/2006, 10:50 AM
Registered Member

Thanks guys, apparently the seller was breaking down the tank and the female was in a cloudy bucket with the mystery and sixline. The seller feels very bad and is giving me a refund.

Oh well, the search contiues
Old 08/14/2006, 04:34 PM
Registered Member

Anyone with Emerald crabs in their tanks? I have 5 and gave one to my friend. It ended up killing his 4" lineatus and 3.5" flame wrasse They were in a 15 gallon until he was able to get a bigger tank. Now i'm getting worried, never had a problem with emeralds.......

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...hreadid=906909
Old 08/15/2006, 10:21 AM
Moved On

please tell me where you guys get all these awesome wrasses.. when I bought my Lineatus and pair of HI Flames.. I have to special order them from LFS which took out a coin bank.. LoLz..

anyway, a guide of online vendors would be great.. looking for HI Flame wrasses compared to prices of Brian Greene... $100 for a pair + $30 per additional female... and a decent place to get Golden Rhomboids...

just shopping around..

Marvin
Old 08/15/2006, 10:33 AM
Premium Member

Heuerfan,
Yes I had an emerald, the kind with the dark pointy green claws, get huge. 6" across with 1" claws. It attacked my lineatus twice I know of. First took a small chunk out of his side second tore off 1/3 his left pec fin. We actually never saw the attacks since they happened late at night. Day after the second attack when lights went out the lineatus hid in the upper corner of the tank just terrified. The bad things come out at night. We even saw this monster lurking just above where my goby and pistol shrimp burrow out. And I have a 150G. Knew exactly where to go.
Took us about 2 weeks to catch the bugger. Even a metal skewer didn't get him. Bounced off his shell. Finally my wife found him hiding in a rock she could take out.
BTW the lineatus is now doing fine and is boss of the tank.
Old 08/15/2006, 10:43 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Philwd
Heuerfan,
Yes I had an emerald, the kind with the dark pointy green claws, get huge. 6" across with 1" claws. It attacked my lineatus twice I know of. First took a small chunk out of his side second tore off 1/3 his left pec fin. We actually never saw the attacks since they happened late at night. Day after the second attack when lights went out the lineatus hid in the upper corner of the tank just terrified. The bad things come out at night. We even saw this monster lurking just above where my goby and pistol shrimp burrow out. And I have a 150G. Knew exactly where to go.
Took us about 2 weeks to catch the bugger. Even a metal skewer didn't get him. Bounced off his shell. Finally my wife found him hiding in a rock she could take out.
BTW the lineatus is now doing fine and is boss of the tank.
You sure that was an emerald, didn't know emerald crabs can get 6 inches? That must have been one monster crab
Old 08/15/2006, 04:46 PM
Registered Member

I just added a fairy wrasse to my tank that was listed as a green back/scott's fairy wrasse but am begining to believe that is not the case. To me he looks more like a red margin wrasse, like the one in this link.

http://www.marinecenter.com/fish/wra...infairywrasse/

which leads me to my next question, are the red margin and pink margin fairy wrasse the same thing? I'll try and post some pics once he comes out of hiding and you can all take a look and tell me what you think.

Thanks,

Josh
Old 08/15/2006, 07:57 PM
Premium Member

my new wrasse

i just got a new fairy wrasse today it is a temmincks fairy wrasse and is really sweet i was wanting to know if they are rare to the trade. I have been told this and just wanted some info on the little guy i will post a pic soon but he is doinf fine so far..i only paid 30 bucks and he looks like all the pics that i have seen
Old 08/15/2006, 08:09 PM
Premium Member

red margin = pink margin.

temmincks are relatively rare. Was it labeled as a temmincks? It may have been mislabled along the way because usually they go for much more then 30$
Old 08/16/2006, 09:30 AM
Registered Member

jhornik,

If the marinecenter picture you attached reflects what you have swimming around in your tank then you have a pink margin. Some people call them red margin but it is the same thing. If you really want no confusion then call it by its scientific name rubrimarginatus.

Marvins Reef:

As far as variety of selection goes, MarineAquatics.net has been very good to me. I've obtained every kind of rare fairy wrasse from them including rhomboids, hooded wrasses, pyles...etc.

Brian Green does a very nice job with his offering.

Marinecenter & Live aquaria also offer a nice list of fairy wrasses, but I find them to be very pricey.

Saltwaterfish.com is good if your looking for basics, like a flame or a social fairy. Shipping is free if you buy $75 or more

Exoticfish.com is good for solar fairies and flashers, but they really don't go after the rare stuff. Still the fish are healthy and arrive packaged well.
Old 08/16/2006, 05:11 PM
Premium Member

can some one id please

can some one please id this flasher for me i think it is a blue but not sure.
Old 08/16/2006, 05:22 PM
Premium Member

i picked up a trio or mccoskers flashers today from my LFS. I traded for some feeder shrimp and some extra cash! (so i got a sweet deal)
I drip acclimated for about an hour (i took them right out of the box when they came in)
When i went to scoop them out of the bucket, and the male bit the net and got caught.... I freed him after about 5 minutes of trying to get him off very gentle, but had to cut a small hole in the net next to his mouth and he fell off. (i didn't get him with the scissors) He then plopped into the bucket and sunk to the bottom. I picked him up and put him in the specimen cup with his ladies, and he just sat there breathing heavy... they didn't look good in the cup so i added them directly... the male hid right away and is just breathing heavy still...

do you think he'll be OK? I didn't see any damage or tears in his mouth...
Old 08/16/2006, 05:22 PM
Registered Member

If I add other fairy wrasse of different species will they help intensify the colors of all the different fairy wrasse, or do they have to be the same species?