Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02/27/2006, 02:27 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
we are generally aware of this but don't care.
That's a great statement!

theres absolutely no sense in believing anything you don't want to. Even if it is the truth.

There is a song with lyrics like that...In my own little corner in my own little chair I can be whatever I want to be.

Mar
Old 02/27/2006, 03:28 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Angel*Fish
JackRent-
This is a very anthropomorphic hobby for 95% of us & it doesn't do any good for the 5% of you anti-anthropomorphizing reefers out there to try & put things in perspective. Waste of time IMHO as we are generally aware of this but don't care.
Booyah!

To Jack: your statement works both ways. Not that I'm saying I think fish have emotions, I don't. However, as impossible as it may be to prove they don't have preference to one environment or another, it's also impossible to prove they don't. Having an argument or dialogue such as this one without anthropomorphic references is impossible in a general sence, since nobody will be able to relate to it but a select few. My chosing of comparisons has been so because of this. Your statement only stands to discredit my or others arguments while it fails to address other aspects of it, like BOD, for example.
Old 02/27/2006, 06:15 PM
Premium Member

Can't you guys see that he's just trying to start a new fluidized bed filter craze?
Old 02/27/2006, 06:28 PM
XenMaster

I'd put a 180G refugium on this badboy. Given that he has a web address that ends w/ .hk(Hong Kong), I'll assume Seafood is asian, and it's typical of us (me being chinese) to set up a tank like this. It's a show of wealth. Good looking tank...for now. The algae in the sandbed shows it's been up for a while, but very well could be a store display tank which does get overstocked like this.
Rio1700 w/ SWCD return
2 Rio600 w/ HydorFl0 attachments.
Powered by Seachem;Verified by Salifert
Old 02/27/2006, 07:32 PM
Registered Member

Many various aspects opinion and the criticism, I am glad to accept your opinion very much! In fact, manages these fish actually to spend my very much time, sometimes water change needs to use for 3-5 hour, every day I have to observe their condition, has the death the individual need to need to take up, has is injured or falls ill.. And so on I am not as if enjoy the pisculture the pleasure, but is the work which I must to do every day, but I still persisted with diligently enables them joyfully to live gets down I did not know how long these fish do survive in the tank internal energy, passes through my statistics, to the present up to, I has bought the fish has 70% also to be able to survive to the present (starts by January, 2005). I like very much when I feed their time they all swim in once the water surface, the scene very magnificent sight, that is makes me feel satisfies!
Old 02/27/2006, 08:24 PM
Sorry, I'm not Jeremy

OK, I have a really bad headache, maybe that's why I didn't understand that at all

Interpreter please!
Old 02/27/2006, 08:33 PM
XenMaster

Quote:
Originally posted by Seafood Tank
Many various aspects opinion and the criticism, I am glad to accept your opinion very much! In fact, manages these fish actually to spend my very much time, sometimes water change needs to use for 3-5 hour, every day I have to observe their condition, has the death the individual need to need to take up, has is injured or falls ill.. And so on I am not as if enjoy the pisculture the pleasure, but is the work which I must to do every day, but I still persisted with diligently enables them joyfully to live gets down I did not know how long these fish do survive in the tank internal energy, passes through my statistics, to the present up to, I has bought the fish has 70% also to be able to survive to the present (starts by January, 2005). I like very much when I feed their time they all swim in once the water surface, the scene very magnificent sight, that is makes me feel satisfies!
I'm glad to accept the multitude of opinions and criticisms. In fact, I spend alot of time managing these fish, sometimes performing a water change every 3-5 hours. I observe their conditions daily, remove the dead, or to see if any are injured or ill. I do not enjoy all the work, but I persist diligently to ensure the longevity of these fish. 70% of my initial stock still lives today(whoa sounds like cycling there IMO) Started tank on Jan 2005. I like it when they all swim up to the surface during feeding time, the scene is quite magnificent and makes me feel satisfied.
w00t I speak chinglish...LOL.
Rio1700 w/ SWCD return
Powered by Seachem;Verified by Salifert
Old 02/27/2006, 08:38 PM
Registered Member

Thanks XeniaMania!!! ^_^
Old 02/27/2006, 08:42 PM
Registered Member

dirtyreefer: The tank is in Vancouver, there four store I usually
shop are: Coral Ocean(Vancouver) KingED(Burnaby) JLaquatics(Burnaby), BL's(Richmond) and AquaKingkom(Richmond).
Old 02/27/2006, 09:43 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Angel*Fish
JackRent-
This is a very anthropomorphic hobby for 95% of us
Lol, did I miss a poll somewhere ?
Old 02/27/2006, 09:46 PM
Premium Member

JackRent-
This is a very anthropomorphic hobby for 95% of us

Lol, did I miss a poll somewhere ?

I guess I missed that same poll! So I am in the minority on this?

Mar
Old 02/27/2006, 11:04 PM
Registered Member

So you two that missed the poll...when you walk into a room and fish dart in the rocks, do you think they're scared? When you see your angel swimming upsidedown and looking at things, do you not perhaps for a second think they're being curious? When they dart for food or swim to the front of the tank, do you not believe they are hungry? Perhaps you may not for the most part attach human feeling or emotion to your pets, I do doubt however that you do not do it in some way or another.
Old 02/27/2006, 11:19 PM
Premium Member

Kalare I will give you that, it is tough to not attach some form of human fondness to my charges. But as I tell my wife "she is a pet person" for she attaches her emotions to the animals. there by conditioning them to respond to her methods of handling. I trained hunting Dogs for years. and it was what I did for a living. It was no problem for me to give up a dog I had trained and kept sometimes for years. I trained, I sold, I provided for my family. My wife however struggled with getting attached to every animal that came along.

But "curious" and "scared" suggests an ability to think and process thoughts way above the capabilities of a fish.

But I am quite fond of my emperor that approaches the glass as I come to feed him

Mar
Old 02/27/2006, 11:21 PM
Premium Member

here is a link

http://www.cotrout.org/do_fish_feel_pain.htm

Mar
Old 02/27/2006, 11:48 PM
Registered Member

Excellent link. And I agree with you as well, but I still, as you do, like the reactions of fish to certain stimuli and attach emotion or some form of it. My emperor was a favorite as well .

I do feel this has partly strayed from the topic though, whether smart or feeling or not, that tank is still overcrowded...pretty much end of story IMO.
Old 02/27/2006, 11:53 PM
Registered Member

I agree that I sometimes like to think that my fish have human qualities, but I also do that with machines that don't work until I give them a good whack (sometimes my TV doesn't "cooperate" as much as I'd like, lol). Anthropomorphism primarily deals with uniquely human attributes, however, and not just attributes that apply to basically every living thing. Examples (of human traits) would be jealousy, betrayal, etc.

Fear as exhibited by animals is a natural response, self-preservation. Humans can fear things that are abstract and not necessarily right in front of them at the moment (fear of failure, being alone in life, heights, bears when they live nowhere near bears).

Curiosity would be in that same category with regard to fish, such as checking out a possible food source or place of refuge. Humans see beyond just what is right in front of them, "I wonder why the sun rises in the morning and sets in the evening?"

Hunger? Since when has hunger ever been a uniquely human trait? Hunger motivates every organism.

Don't get me wrong I love my fish, but I don't think they are capable of seeing the world the same way we do.

EDIT: Kalare, you posted that last one while I was typing this one.

In response to your point, yes we are straying far from the topic and yes that tank is WAY too crowded, lol.
Old 02/27/2006, 11:54 PM
Premium Member

Well it is too crowded for me as well. I am not planning on that many fish in my 400 gal.

Mar
Old 02/28/2006, 12:01 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TheGrimmReefer
I agree that I sometimes like to think that my fish have human qualities, but I also do that with machines that don't work until I give them a good whack (sometimes my TV doesn't "cooperate" as much as I'd like, lol). Anthropomorphism primarily deals with uniquely human attributes, however, and not just attributes that apply to basically every living thing. Examples (of human traits) would be jealousy, betrayal, etc.

Fear as exhibited by animals is a natural response, self-preservation. Humans can fear things that are abstract and not necessarily right in front of them at the moment (fear of failure, being alone in life, heights, bears when they live nowhere near bears).

Curiosity would be in that same category with regard to fish, such as checking out a possible food source or place of refuge. Humans see beyond just what is right in front of them, "I wonder why the sun rises in the morning and sets in the evening?"

Hunger? Since when has hunger ever been a uniquely human trait? Hunger motivates every organism.

Don't get me wrong I love my fish, but I don't think they are capable of seeing the world the same way we do.

EDIT: You posted that last one while I was typing this one.
Yes we are straying far from the topic and yes that tank is WAY too crowded, lol.
Just one last thing, I promise I don't think I explained myself well. For example, by hunger, though other animals my experience a form of it, it is in no way similar to how humans experience it. Fish for example are most likely just attracted to food as a gut instinct to survive and don't "feel" anything about it. We, on the other hand get uniquely hungry and crave things, salivate, remember tastes. It's hard for us as humans to look at another animal going after food in an "exited" manner and not think that they are hungry in the same sense that we are, when in truth, they most likely are not.

Anyways, on another note, I was feeling bad for overstocking a small 30g I just set up (first new tank in years...others have been running forever) with 6 fish, one of them being an angel (small one). Now I don't feel so bad after seeing this thread...haha.
Old 02/28/2006, 12:09 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kalare

Anyways, on another note, I was feeling bad for overstocking a small 30g I just set up (first new tank in years...others have been running forever) with 6 fish, one of them being an angel (small one). Now I don't feel so bad after seeing this thread...haha.
Lol I know what you mean. Right now I'm feeling pretty good about the 6 I have in the 75 gal. I spoil those guys, I really do (too bad they don't know it, hehe) .
Old 02/28/2006, 12:35 AM
Registered Member

Reminds me exactly of the nicer salt water fish shops in HK.

Absolutely not my style, but I won't spend much time criticizing.

I have 4 fish in my 75...preferred 3, but my GF insisted she got one of her "own".
Old 02/28/2006, 12:39 AM
Registered Member

Haha, I created this topic and want to tell you this a seafood tank like in the restaurant, when every fish grows up then ready to cook. ^_^
Old 02/28/2006, 12:45 AM
XenMaster

FOB humor...
Rio1700 w/ SWCD return