Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes

Old 07/22/2006, 09:41 PM
Premium Member

Pyle's are in the group that loses some color without a female but it is not as bad as Scott's, Solar, Blue Scaled, etc. But they are always more interesting when kept with one or more females. In any case, a great find. Did you get that from Michael?

~Steve~
Old 07/22/2006, 09:45 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by snorvich
Pyle's are in the group that loses some color without a female but it is not as bad as Scott's, Solar, Blue Scaled, etc. But they are always more interesting when kept with one or more females. In any case, a great find. Did you get that from Michael?
Thanks thats good to hear. No, it was an actual fish store that usually stocks basic marine fish. I'm going to make sure i pay them a visit at least once a week
Old 07/22/2006, 09:49 PM
Premium Member

>Do you think he will lose color without a female?

No, I do not think so. My males did not lose any coloration for over a year without any female. It is more difficult to obtain its mate at the same time than losing hues of males.
Old 07/22/2006, 09:50 PM
Premium Member

I have one like that around here. I have an arrangement where they call when they are getting something of interest (I gave them a list). Pyle's or Blue Margin are very pretty fish; it turns out I am looking for a female as well.

~Steve~
Old 07/22/2006, 10:01 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
I have one like that around here. I have an arrangement where they call when they are getting something of interest (I gave them a list). Pyle's or Blue Margin are very pretty fish; it turns out I am looking for a female as well.
Glad to hear it will keep its color. I'm hoping nobody in my tank will bother him, he is only 2.5 inches. Totally forgot they were also know as Blue Margin, this is my first time seeing one in person and i can't beliieve how blue the tail is Real pretty fish, hope he does well in my tank.
Old 07/22/2006, 10:32 PM
Got Nog?

Quote:
Steve, Jeff at our favorite LFS usually has girls. I bought a pyle girl on his sale day. She sure is cute. My male follows he around like a lost puppy.

Scott
Old 07/23/2006, 12:33 AM
Premium Member

25 is crazy for a pylei's.. lol I can't even get them that low if i got it direct from the diver!! But then again they would be coming from australia (not sure if there is a color variant or just colelction practices that make it more expensive). They are found in many locations. Looks like a nice one. good find

glad the flame is doing better!
Old 07/23/2006, 02:38 AM
Who dat?

Quote:
Originally posted by zemuron114
25 is crazy for a pylei's.. lol I can't even get them that low if i got it direct from the diver!!

Maybe it was on special and the special was passed along. It happens. I got some Rhomboids on special and passed it on and had them at under a $100.00 each retail. The supplier gets too many of a certain animal and puts 'em on special to move 'em and I'll bet they get kinda nervous if they have too many of something that is on the pricey side that's not moving.
Old 07/23/2006, 09:23 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by just dave
Maybe it was on special and the special was passed along. It happens. I got some Rhomboids on special and passed it on and had them at under a $100.00 each retail. The supplier gets too many of a certain animal and puts 'em on special to move 'em and I'll bet they get kinda nervous if they have too many of something that is on the pricey side that's not moving.
Nope, they didnt' even know what it was and it was the only one. They had it labeled as a "Picture Wrasse". This store never gets any nice wrasses, just sixline, cleaners, etc... I'm sure if they knew what it was or how it really looked like under normal conditions they wouldn't have sold it for $25.00 Its was amazing to see how fast the colors changed. In the stores tank it was completely pale, once in the bag the colors started to pop right out.
Old 07/23/2006, 12:54 PM
Premium Member

Any Opinions?

Any opinions on what these are?

These are a male and female but it is not clear from the book what they are.

~Steve~
Old 07/23/2006, 12:58 PM
Premium Member

Ingore the third photo it is a female from a different pair. I screwed up taking pictures. The top two are the male, however.

~Steve~
Old 07/23/2006, 03:29 PM
Premium Member

Angry

This is the proper image of the associated female. I am going crazy or having a major brain cramp.

~Steve~
Old 07/23/2006, 05:46 PM
Premium Member

Ok, so my fairy wrasses are eating the nori i clipped on for my hippo tangs... is this normal? My male flame just ripped it apart and started going to town on it... didn't know he liked veges
Old 07/23/2006, 06:23 PM
Premium Member

When I put nori in the tank my labouti is by far the biggest eater.
Old 07/23/2006, 06:32 PM
Premium Member

snorvich,

It seems to me C. balteatus (or katherinae).

The male is still young and these (juv., female and young male) stages are very hard to distinguish among the temminckii- complex. It is not temminckii, but where did they come from ?
Old 07/23/2006, 07:14 PM
Premium Member

I was betting on C. katherinae because to me they do not appear to be balteatus (although they had those as well) I was told they were from Micronesia but this LFS gets shipments from all over the place. The male flairs up a lot and not just towards the female. This particular LFS gets a lot of young pairs; I got a young pair of Australian Scotts a couple of months ago.

~Steve~
Old 07/23/2006, 07:15 PM
Moved On

I was wondering I just got this guy yesterday and out of 40 pictures these 2 are the best(pathetic). I was wondering if this coloring is just juvenile colors or is it from a specific area, I would like to know.
Thanks

Old 07/23/2006, 07:15 PM
Premium Member

I did not know that Fairy Wrasses ate Nori. Is this normal? Do others experience that as well?

~Steve~
Old 07/23/2006, 07:22 PM
Registered Member

My Scott's and Labouti just attack the nori off the clips.
Old 07/23/2006, 08:34 PM
Premium Member

bubbaOPPD,

It is a male C. lubbocki, one of the variants with a blue hue. It comes from Indonesia, Philippines, Palau and Malaysia. Coloration does not show its locality.

Females are entirely orange red with a black spot on caudal peduncle.
Old 07/23/2006, 09:29 PM
Moved On

Thanks Dr. Tanaka for the reply, hopefully you have a book of Fairy wrasses coming out so I can quit asking questions here...too bad I didn't have a marine aquarium when I used to work for Amada and they sent me to Japan, it seems there are more rare fish over there then here(Omaha, NE).
Old 07/23/2006, 10:03 PM
Registered Member

I love all my wrasses but i must say this guy is now at the top of the list Tried my best to get a good picture but this is the best i could do for now

Old 07/23/2006, 11:06 PM
Premium Member

thats a nice one ! I can't wait to expand my fairy collection
Old 07/24/2006, 08:19 PM
Registered Member

For those who asked for photos of the tamarin...

Old 07/24/2006, 08:19 PM
RC Staff

This thread was automatically split due to performance issues. You can find the rest of the thread here: http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...hreadid=892605