Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02/02/2006, 02:16 PM
Registered Member

64Ivy,
Where did you get yoru Regal from?

Nick
Old 02/02/2006, 03:10 PM
Fish Addict

Typhon, I'm not "impatient", it's more of a....it's not all that impressive vs my previous experience. Obviously it's doing ok. It's still fat and it must be eating something b/c something is coming out of it. But it just doesn't demonstrate the "gusto" of my previous ones.
Old 02/02/2006, 04:19 PM
B'rer Reefer

Quote:
Originally posted by maxxII
64Ivy,
Where did you get yoru Regal from?

Nick
An LFS. I'd been looking for a 'good one' for several months when Greg notified me of this guy. They'd had it over a week already and it was eating pretty well.
Old 02/02/2006, 04:31 PM
Limestone cowboy

64ivy, I have been lucky to get my angels to eat gracilaria by making a wrap with clams and mysis soaked in garlic, selcon and entice. I wrap the gracilaria around the food so it dont escape. (Tight as you can) and rubberband it to a rock. That gets the angels attention and after a week they destroy the gracilaria as soon as it drops without the food in it.
Old 02/02/2006, 08:08 PM
Reefer

This is a picture of my Red Sea Regal Angel that I've had since April 05. I would guess it's about 4 1/2 to 5 inches.[IMG]http://[/IMG]
Old 02/02/2006, 08:13 PM
Reefer

I knew that was entirely too easy. you can go to my photo gallery to see it.
Old 02/02/2006, 09:00 PM
Registered Member

Jeff,

Your fish looks nice and fat..Where did you get it from?
Old 02/02/2006, 09:04 PM
B'rer Reefer

Quote:
Originally posted by Creetin
64ivy, I have been lucky to get my angels to eat gracilaria by making a wrap with clams and mysis soaked in garlic, selcon and entice. I wrap the gracilaria around the food so it dont escape. (Tight as you can) and rubberband it to a rock. That gets the angels attention and after a week they destroy the gracilaria as soon as it drops without the food in it.
I bet there are restaurants in NYC that would charge $22.50 apiece for those. It's the rock that makes it 'hip'.

Thanks. I'll give it a try.
Old 02/02/2006, 09:21 PM
Reefer

Quote:
Originally posted by nctangman
Jeff,

Your fish looks nice and fat..Where did you get it from?
I got it from vivid aquarium.
Old 02/03/2006, 03:46 PM
Premium Member

My regal is doing MUCH better after I got the damsels out. It is starting to venture out and it stays a while out of curiousity when I pass in front of the tank, but hides after a while. Slowly but surely. I see him going after brine shrimp and mysis, been feeding the tank HEAVILY to make sure he gets plenty to eat!

Also, he has been picking at the rocks. Plenty of sponge and other stuff for him to nibble on. Has not touched a single zoo or other coral in my tank. Now to roll the dice again and get a copper band butterfly. ;-)

-Alfred
Old 02/03/2006, 07:27 PM
Registered Member

Jeff,

This is good to know. I got my CBB and flame angel from vivid in Aug '05 and they have been doing great. The CBB eats PE Mysis Shrimp from my hand.

Kirk
Old 02/10/2006, 06:39 AM
Registered Member

Just got my RS Regal Angel. It's nice and fat. Te LFS had him three weeks (on hold for me) so I put him straight into the display tank. He immediately began to swim around and enjoyed a thorough cleaning from the cleaner shrimps. He has since been hiding in the caves. I was assured that he eating frozen brine at the LFS. I haven't seen him eat yet. I've also added live brine that he'll hopefully see. I am going to try the mussell/clam blend tonight.
Old 02/10/2006, 10:45 AM
HuNkWiTbIgTrUnK

JohnSiesta, Just because he was eating at the LFS does'nt mean he'll eat for you. Yes, you have a greater chance of success because he was eating, but the transfer could stress these guys out. Did you actually "SEE" him eat at the LFS? If you did'nt "SEE" it eat at the LFS, it's a good chance the LFS lied to you. Or it could be that the LFS definition of eat is: it nipped at brine once.
Old 02/10/2006, 12:17 PM
Registered Member

Doody,
Thanks for the Note. I didn't see the fish eat as he was in Toronto and I'm in Halifax. I do know that they had him for three weeks so I assume he must have eaten. I watched a Regal in a local LFS last Fall for 10 days while the LFS assured me that he was eating. I wasn't going to buy him until I saw him eat. He died on the 11th day at the LFS from starvation. Needless to say, I'm nervous about getting this guy to eat.
John
Old 02/10/2006, 12:36 PM
Fish Addict

If it's still fat after 3 weeks at the LFS it's eating something. They don't stay fat for that long otherwise ya know?
Old 02/10/2006, 01:20 PM
HuNkWiTbIgTrUnK

Moonpod's right. It would be a little thin by now. Try the mussell/clam. Lots of people have success with that. If it takes to the mussell/clam, you can stuff other foods in the shell to get the fish to eat them. Just to let you know it's normal for these guys to go into hideing after a transfer. Got any aggressive fish in there with him that might keep him in his hole?
Got a pic? What LFS did you get him from?
Old 02/10/2006, 01:55 PM
Premium Member

Hate to be negative- but how do you know that they held the SAME fish for three weeks?

In either case, try brine and mysis. Mine is eating like a pig...

-Alfred
Old 02/10/2006, 02:19 PM
I need a bigger tank!

Week 2 with my Red Sea Regal. From day one he has been 'nipping' at the rocks and some sponge I have growing on the undersides of some rocks. As of today though, he has not eaten any prepared foods that I have seen. I tried the fresh clam the first week. The juvenile imperator tore it up, but the Regal didn't touch it. I've since tried a mixed gumbo of squid/octopus/cod/shrimp/mussles/crab/garlic and he hasn't taken to that either. He is still fat and deficating, so he must be getting something. Oh, I always have plenty of nori in the tank 24/7 as well, but I haven't seen him nip at it since the first few days. But of course I don't get to watch him for but a few hours each day.
He swims out in the open 90% of the time. My male Watanabe has recently started 'showing' up to him but no real aggression.
What else should I try? Should I be worried at this point?
Thanks
Old 02/10/2006, 02:48 PM
Registered Member

Maybe try two clams so if the imperator is pigging out, the Regal still has one to goto in peace?

I had a Regal years ago and it took a few tries, but it finally started eating live clams on a half shell from the store...and then prepared foods.

Maybe if you can, QT the imperator so the Regal can start eating in peace?

I'm hoping in the not so distant future to try a Regal again. It's one of my all-time favorite fish.
Old 02/10/2006, 03:05 PM
Registered Member

The Regal can get many weeks of starvation and still look good. I was taking care for a friend of mine regal (we thoug if he se my regal eating it will eat too) and the regal last for tree months whit out taking any food. Maybe some acidental pick in some rock but starving any way. So with Regls is realy important to see them eat, i thing the survival oportunities for an eating regal are more than 60% mora tan a regal we don't see taking any food, i think stuffs like patogens, infections, Etc, seem to be lest importan than the feeding issue, in Regal angels.
Old 02/10/2006, 03:52 PM
Registered Member

Don't have a picture yet (he's staying in two caves). I got him from Reefraft in Toronto. They received 4 Regals in January, sold 2, then mine and still have one.
I only have one semi-aggressive fish, a dwarf multi-color angel. I missed the whole Superbowl until I caught him sunday night and moved him to the refugium so that the tank ould be peaceful for the Regal.
Old 02/10/2006, 06:17 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
..... Should I be worried at this point?
Thanks
Possibly not. If it is still eating food from under your reef then it may not find any reason to try food that it does not know. As the food supply under the reef runs out and it starts to get hungry it should begin to take more motice of other food supplies and this is when it will start to learn from the other fish.

At least this is pretty much how it went for my fish.

At the moment, that fact that it is still interested in food is the critical factor since, as long as it wants to eat, you will have a chance of getting it to eat your food.

Steve
Old 02/12/2006, 04:52 PM
Registered Member

The lad, 7.5 months down the track. I think he has grown about 1cm since I got him. The road to tank domination is obviously not a smooth one, as I noticed, while taking this picture, that he has a few new battle scars.

The large black blur just above the regal is the tank 2IC. This used to be one of two cute little Javanese damsels a few years ago. I have seen a lot written to the effect that all damsels are just small packets of aggression, so it has turned out a good thing that this is largely a load of bollocks. Of the 7 damsels in my tank, only one would meet this description and it is not either of these big black fellows (actually I think one might be a girl as I have seen them get a bit amorous from time to time). They are no more assertive than any other fish their size and I am rather hoping the Regal will use them as a model for reasonable behaviour in a community tank.

Steve

Last edited by Steve Atkins; 02/12/2006 at 05:37 PM.
Old 02/12/2006, 06:04 PM
Premium Member

My regal is now eating flake food! Took a few weeks, now if I could only get my anthias to eat flake I would be a happy camper, they just spit it out.

-Alfred
Old 02/12/2006, 06:07 PM
Premium Member

Steve:

You are very fortunate that your damsels are not mean bullies. It took a great deal of effort to take out two damsels from my tank that came close to killing my regal when I first added him to the tank. They had killed smaller fish in the past, but I had assumed (wrongly) that if the fish added was larger they would leave it alone.

-Alfred