Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/23/2005, 03:24 PM
stop the insults, please

2x6000 streams and the controller should be really nice for a 125. I have two 6100s on a controller (plus a closed loop and the return) on my 125, but its a barebottom sps tank. I think the 6000s are a fine choice, and if you think its not enough once you get it going, you can upgrade the 6000s to 6100s by just buying a new transformer. I forget the cost, but its a lot cheaper than buying another 6000 iirc. As much as I like maxis, its a WAY better choice than the maxis for that size tank.
Old 10/23/2005, 03:37 PM
Registered Member

People do make mistakes and I definitely agree that nobody's perfect. But I still don't think that was a typo and honestly don't think you know what you're talking about. It seems like you just start typing what's off the top of your head without doing some research. I see now that you have been corrected about the Tunzes, you have done some research on those models which you are considering (7095, 6000s etc). For someone in the hobby for 6 years and works at a LFS, you honestly should know what you are talking about. I sincerely doubt that you made a typo, but that's just MO and sorry to be so harsh but I would just give up on your posts and do some more reading instead.
Old 10/23/2005, 03:45 PM
Registered Member

... ... oookkkk...

Quote:
But I still don't think that was a typo and honestly don't think you know what you're talking about. It seems like you just start typing what's off the top of your head
Quote:
It seems like you just start typing what's off the top of your head
exactly.... I WASNT THINKING... sorry you dont agree..... but I really dont care if you think that Im educated on the matter...

you know what... if you dont have anything PRODUCTIVE TO SAY please dont say anything at all... it does NOTHING but destroy a perfectly good thread... AS I HAVE LEARNED!
Old 10/23/2005, 03:59 PM
Registered Member

Sorry for ruining this perfectly good thread
Old 10/23/2005, 04:12 PM
Registered Member

Thats ok I forgive you!

I said earlier about getting the Turbelle Stream 6000 for the tank..... what about 6060's? it doesnt have adjustable flow.... but It will be on the Multicontroller.... so that should calm it down a bit...

what do you think?

which would you recommend... anyone who has them...
Old 10/23/2005, 04:27 PM
Get Your War On!!

I'm not sure Q'ing an Achilles, an Idol, et al. in a 29 will help with Ick no matter how little salt is in the water?
Or is did the Idol die somewhere along the way, I forget? And I guess the tang is small but anyway. Just wondering.

Cheers,

grimmjohn

Oh Lord...I'm not ready for this sort of thing.
Old 10/23/2005, 04:42 PM
stop the insults, please

I think the 6060s don't work on the controller, but I'm not positive. Do some searching. If it were me, I'd go with 6000s since they're more flow, controllable, and you can upgrade them cheaply to 6100s down the road if you get a bigger tank or decide you want more flow. 6060s are a nice cheap alternative though. They're almost as much flow for about half the price (plus you don't need to buy the controller if i'm right).
Old 10/23/2005, 04:43 PM
404 errors turn me on

6060's don't work on the controller correct. 6000's 6100's 6200's all do.
Old 10/23/2005, 04:47 PM
stop the insults, please

Thanks Confooseld, that's what I thought.
Old 10/23/2005, 04:55 PM
404 errors turn me on

I all honesty though why are you even looking at tunzes? Get the 180 instead of buying tunze powerheads and a couple seio 1500s until you can get a set of tunze's.
Quote:
But I still don't think that was a typo and honestly don't think you know what you're talking about.
I completely agree I think he's trying to lie to look less foolish.

Have you tried selling the Achilles? I think you should get rid of it so you're less rushed for a big tank.
Old 10/23/2005, 05:02 PM
stop the insults, please

While I agree (and said earlier) that the 180 is way better, I don't think I'd pass up a 125 for $50.
Old 10/23/2005, 05:56 PM
Minion

shawn, just a hint man. LAY off the shift key.. It gets really annoying reading you shouting all the time.. And makes people less likely to be constructive..

..an additional 2 foot extension.. That thing hurt many people..

"Hold your children close."
Jim Hobbs
Old 10/23/2005, 09:26 PM
Registered Member

I was hopeing for a 180 had the money at the time but my mom would let it in the hous she said it was to wide. lol so I have a 125 and really wish i had the 180 ora 310 which is what I really wanted lol. o well.
Old 10/23/2005, 10:21 PM
Registered Member

Confooseld go back to your old avatar, this one is disturbing.
Old 10/23/2005, 10:29 PM
Registered Member

I would avoid the rio. Here is a list of some good stores to check out = Progressive Marine, Fat Fish in Daphne, The Living Reef in Rainbow city, or Aquarium Designs in Birmingham. Sad to hear about your losses, I have learned to research more first. Glad your upgrading as to the type of marine fish you are attempting to keep. Everyone makes mistakes but hopefully you will learn from them.

A fellow Alabamian that likes this state -

Brad

Last edited by edwar050; 10/23/2005 at 10:48 PM.
Old 10/24/2005, 09:44 PM
Registered Member

Ok, so its the 6000's it is then...

BTW: Im not getting them yet, this is just PREP for the big tank... well.. for the 125 too....

I should be getting the 125 in the next week.. or few days...
and then It will be SILICON SILICON SILICON untill Im sure it will stay!

Im really quite nervis about this whole silicon thing!!!....

Im going to use the All Glass silicon... says they use it when making tanks, however the silicon on large tanks is whiteish...

this silicon is clear.... whats up with that? older I suppose

Oh and BTW Discocarp... thanks for that Info! and for the backup!

Mr. Acanthuras Achilles is doing fine... still very personable and very outgoing, loves to swim and is eatting me out of house and NORI! hahaha

since Im getting the 125 Im thinking of getting another tang OHHH NOOO, dont call the TANG POLICE

its only going to be a quarter sized... maybe half dollar sized YELLOW SCOPAS!!!!! they have them on sale at our supplier!! SO I HAVE TO GET ONE!! yellow scopas! Im so excited...

a must have.. not a bad price either, for a small they are only 27$ wholesale I think....

that will meen I will have the following fish

1 Achilles Tang (3inch)
1 Regal Tang (1.5inch)
1 Yellow Tang ( 1inch)
1 Coral Beauty (1.5inch)
2 Goldline Neon gobies, if one survives
1 RegBlue Neon Gobie
and maybe a Yellow Scopas (1 inch)

I dont think I will get anymore fish.... besides a few more small gobies, maybe a Catalina, or maybe a red cap, maybe another small species... duno, Or this just might be it!

Gah, I love tangs, and I REALLY NEED LIKE A 25,000 GALLON TANK!!!!!!!!!!!!!

haha... or sorry for the screaming, thats my way of my excitement being transmitted to the post hahaha

oh, and Brad, glad someone likes this state HAHA!! just kidding
Old 10/24/2005, 09:46 PM
Registered Member

Don't you think the 3 inch achilles will bully the 1 inch yellow scopas?
Old 10/24/2005, 09:54 PM
Registered Member

Well.. Characteristically yes, however, mine has NOT even so much as tail fanned the Regal or CB, and they are in a smaller QT tank... and mind you he didnt do it in the 75 gallon either...

Im sure he might say HEY im the boss here.... but I dought it is going to get bad... so far so good on the agression side of things... LOL, I think part of the reason hes not so mean is because hes always so full from his CONSTANT supply of NORI! haha.... ok it was a joke, thats your Que to laugh... go ahead, it wont hurt... nevermind then!
Old 10/24/2005, 09:57 PM
Registered Member

Haha.. Anyways I'm glad your getting a 125 gallon tank. I might get a 220, 125, or 180 soon. One of those three, preferably the 220.
Old 10/24/2005, 10:23 PM
Registered Member

I'd love to see a pic of a 1" tang, never seen one that small. Also a 1" scopas tang, wow you really must get rare fish in your FS.
Old 10/24/2005, 10:34 PM
Minion

Quote:
Originally posted by Shawnts106
Im sure he might say HEY im the boss here.... but I dought it is going to get bad... so far so good on the agression side of things...
An achilles makes my powder blue look like a wimp. Want to see aggression? I have a purple tang in the 300 with the PBT that I never see because the PBT is king of the tank.. And this is a 300 gallon reef.

Give it time, the achilles will become more aggressive, especially with that many tangs in a 125.. It WILL become fight fest.. Its impossible not to.. Ever see THREE powder blues chase off a FEW HUNDRED convict tangs? I have... Impressive to say the least.. Acantharus tangs are bullies, no ifs ands or buts..

As for the other fish, word to the wise, catalina gobies like cooler water and aren't suited for a reef tank. Do your research..

..an additional 2 foot extension.. That thing hurt many people..

"Hold your children close."
Jim Hobbs
Old 10/25/2005, 01:55 AM
Get Your War On!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Nagel
catalina gobies like cooler water and aren't suited for a reef tank. Do your research..
I thought many catalina gobies were tank raised and thus accustumed to warmer temps.

Cheers,

grimmjohn

Oh Lord...I'm not ready for this sort of thing.
Old 10/25/2005, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by grimmjohn
I thought many catalina gobies were tank raised and thus accustumed to warmer temps.

Cheers,

grimmjohn
I keep hearing people say this but haven't seen any evidence to back it up. Not trying to be a jerk here grimmjohn But if you have some sort of link or reference I can check out, that would be great. I haven't heard anything about tank raised catalina gobies accustomed to tropical temps.

Thanks
billpa
Old 10/25/2005, 06:51 AM
stop the insults, please

Shawn, please don't get another tang. IMO the 125 is really borderline at best for 3 tangs. Its definately WAY better than the 75, but 4 tangs in a 125 is really a lot.
Old 10/25/2005, 07:00 AM
Guardian of Little People

This thread is done. Shawn, don't troll in these waters anymore. You seem to delight in making horrendous decisions just for the shock value of reporting them here.

Some days you're the dog, other days you're the hydrant