Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes

Old 10/21/2005, 08:30 PM
Registered Member

Hello again everyoneeeeee

oh real quick>
Quote:
Last year he didn't know what a Bristleworm was and now all of a sudden there's 6 years of experience.
Wasnt me... if so please PROVE IT!... because Ive known what a bristleworm is for as the LEAST 4 years... HAVE IT DOCUMENTED IN MY VID FILES!!!!!

OK, so heres my last word... I suppose that EVERYONEEEEEE will be VERY HAPPY ON THIS!

OK, so yeah, the ginger thing is just to help with their immune systems... kinda like garlic...

and as for buying a bigger tank...

All-Glass is having a SALE SALE SALE on their tanks...

I get them at WHOLESALE... PLUS a 40% DISCOUNT...
so... I will be buying a 180 gallon tank... thats 72x24x24...
aka 6 feet by 2 feet by 2 feet!

better?... why you ask? BECAUSE DISPITE what you all think IM NOT a immature, inexperienced reefer wanabee and I do LISTEN TO YOU GUYS... ok, so not all the time, but for the most part!... anyway!

so a 180 is the BIGGEST on sale, and the MOST I CAN AFFORD>>> so, this is just going to have to do for MR. ACANTHURAS ACHILLES!

anyway.. seriously, question:

if you do a HYPOSALINITY treatment on fish for a month, you know the PROPER WAY, after you READJUST THEM to your displays water, and the Display has been FISH FREE for a month or a little more, can the fish get ich again, ???

I wouldnt think so, but I have HEARD, however not done alot of research that Ich lives in the fishes gills... but if you do a Hyposalinity treatment on them that should kill it off right?

seriously, wether this thread gets shut down, or not, thanks for the help, and sorry for making all you guys PULL each others hair out!! hahha

oh, please let me get an answer before you do shut it down, thanks!
Old 10/21/2005, 08:56 PM
Registered Member

shawn,
congrats on the new tank- the 180 is a great size imo, and will suit your fish well.

as for hypo, rather than ask for and get spotty replies, i would suggest a search of the fish diseases forum using "hyposalinity". in fact, if you did that with ATJ or Stevenpro as the usernames, you might get more directed hits.

the hypo treatment is pretty straightfoward, and, if you do it properly and leave the display fallow for 4-6 weeks, you should be ick free.

i recommend a nice, big rubbermaid for the sick tank, unless you're planning on using your current tank and transfering the rocks/inverts to the new 180.

nice choice and good luck.
toonces out!
Old 10/21/2005, 09:43 PM
Registered Member

Grr lucky shawnts, wanna give me one of those 180 gallons? lol
Old 10/21/2005, 11:21 PM
Registered Member

Such a nice surprise to get back on here a few hours later to find such NICER replys!

lol @ crazy... I READ WHAT YOU WROTE ON THE CORAL BEAUTY FORUM, DONT START SUCKING UP NOW! HAHAHA JK JK!

hey.. I got it, send me a check.. and Ill order you one... just come and pick it up! haha

I thought the 180 would be a good choice too!..

as for the Hypo, IVE ALREADY started.... Had to demolish the tank to get the fish out.. but they came out, and look fine,

The only other tank I had was my 29 gallon FW tank... so I had to get rid of my FW fish , and set up a new SW tank for QT... which I did, they are doing fine so far, normal breathing, normal swimming, and Im slowly adding FW and lowering the Salinity, of course, making sure to match the pH!

I used some USED filter cartiges for instant bacteria.... and also, used MY tank water....

for fish Comfort I put in some fake plastic FW plants... I havent used in years.... My previous FW tank was PLANTED! ONLY WAY TO GO! HAHA

and I also, put in 2 PH's... a Maxijet 1200 and a Rio600... so they have PLENTY of water movement..... the fish seem to love swimming with the current...

they are eatting STILL VERY VERY WELL!.... everything I put in the tank.. LOL, including my fingers, they attempt to eat!

I have also, got in QT a small quarter sized Yellow Tang, and 3 gobies, 2 goldline neons, lol, who love to clean the YT, and a regular Neon...

oh, those fish *YT,GOBIES* are in another QT tank.. only 10 gallons....

I also got an orange ricordia and 2 lettuce nudis too... Im kinda iffy on the lettuces, scared about their dietary needs, but hopefully they will eat the calurpa.. we will see....

I ordered these from SWF.com... hey Crazy, they have nice stuff you should try them! not bad!!!

I should get the 180 in the next month or so... so im hopeing to have it set up and running by Janurary.... HOPEFULLY!...
Income Tax time will be of GREAT benifit!

wish me luck on the income tax time!

so I suppose the Achilles will just have to stay at "MOTEL 6" for a month.... before he gets his castel! HAHA

I know, not the best thing to do... but this was my only option..

I DID NOT EVEN THINK OF THE RUBBERMADE TUB!!!!!!!!! GEEZEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!

anyway... thanks again you guys
Old 10/21/2005, 11:25 PM
Registered Member

OH, and I updated my Profile for you Crazy! HAHAHA

btw: how old are you... I see HIGHSCHOOL... just curious
Old 10/22/2005, 07:45 AM
stop the insults, please

I've been mostly staying out of this, but I was just as ticked as everyone else. :P

Glad to see these recent posts from you Shawn. It takes a lot to stick around here and admit you were wrong (by picking up a bigger tank), and I'm glad to see it.

Regarding hypo, Its a bit tricky the first time, but not too tough. My best advice for hypo is:

1. Read Read Read! Lots of good info, and if you do things right you can rid yourself of ich for good. But you've gotta do it right, so read read read!
2. Make sure you are using a refractometer not a hydrometer.
3. Make the salinity changes slowly.
4. Leave the main tank fishless for 6-8 weeks. I know many say 4-6, but look at it this way. This is a real pain in the butt to do to all your fish, why push it and risk having to do it again? Err on the side of caution!

Good luck! I wish you and your fish the best.
Old 10/22/2005, 07:47 AM
stop the insults, please

PS: BrianD, imo we don't need to close this thread now as long as it remains constructive.
Old 10/22/2005, 07:56 AM
Premium Member

I agree with the rest, a 180 is a much better choice. However, have you really considered all the costs? If you want a reef...you will need more lighting, bigger skimmer, bigger pump, more rock, etc. For the Achilles especially, you'd need a LOT of gph in a 180. If you can, look into Tunze or Seio. Don't know what your skimmer is, but you'll need one that can preferably handle over 180g, as you have four high waste fish (three tangs plus CB). Lighting is preference...I'm only running two 250wDE halides over my 6' 135, so on the ends it's just lower light for shrooms or something...your choice. And more rock I suppose is preference as well. It will just make it look more full. Although I imagine you'll want more fish later on, and if your skimmer is undersized, you should make up for it with more LR. I'd get a bunch of BR if I were you, and wait for it to see.

But anyways, it's good to see that you've taken the necessary steps to keep a fish you really like, instead of making it suffer.

Where's your will to be weird?
Old 10/22/2005, 01:41 PM
Registered Member

I'm only 16. And I have ordered from SWF, I ordered 2 peppermint shrimp, 3 emerald crabs, 20 nass snails, 10 astrea snails, 10 blue hermits, and a ricordia mushroom.
Old 10/22/2005, 02:34 PM
Guardian of Little People

Quote:
Originally posted by discocarp
PS: BrianD, imo we don't need to close this thread now as long as it remains constructive.
Unfortunately, I am power mad and close threads on a whim to satisfy my lust for control.

Some days you're the dog, other days you're the hydrant
Old 10/22/2005, 02:35 PM
404 errors turn me on

Quote:
Unfortunately, I am power mad and close threads on a whim to satisfy my lust for control.
At least you aren't in denial.
Old 10/22/2005, 03:50 PM
stop the insults, please

Quote:
LOL. I was actually admiring your restraint earlier in the thread. :P
Old 10/22/2005, 06:18 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BrianD
LOL.
Old 10/22/2005, 06:24 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Shawnts106
Hello again everyoneeeeee

oh real quick>

Wasnt me... if so please PROVE IT!... because Ive known what a bristleworm is for as the LEAST 4 years... HAVE IT DOCUMENTED IN MY VID FILES!!!!!
Here's a quote from 10/04/04 over at SWF.COM. Must have been a different shawnts106. Sorry for the mistaken ID.

Quote:
Do Arrow Crabs eat fireworms? It says they eat bristle worms... but does that mean fireworms? or what is a Bristle Worm?
Old 10/22/2005, 09:13 PM
Registered Member

OK... let me clarify this ... attack.. again!

Fireworm/Bristelworm... equals same thing... I was confussed from what I read and wanted to clarify my knowledge... so I did.. lol, and now IM SURE THAT A FIREWORM AND A BRISTELWORM IS THE SAME THING... well.. ok so fireworms are a species of bristelworm.. anyway.. you get it

MOVEING ON!:

Guys... I got bad news.... and your really not going to believe this... as I didnt at first, but am VERY UPSET!..

All-glass... the tanks on sale.. yeah, ARENT ON SALE ANYMORE!

so the 180 just went back up to $708!!!

HOWEVER... heres a bit of GOOD NEWS!!!!!!

I found a deal ... My boss, she, and her husband, used to raise Discus and Angels, they had ALOTTTT OF TANKS...
one of which was a 125!!!... the glass brace in the center broke... well.. not the glass just the silicon around it... so she said that if I can reseal it, and it holds water, then I can have it for 50 bucks!!!

so I said, HAUL IT DOWN HERE NOW!!!!

I know a 125 and a 180 isnt the same... but ... thats what I can get NOW!... I will OF COURSE, still be watching for another tank sale... Hopefully they will have one soon!

when they do , you betcha ILL be getting a 180

as for size ... the 125 is still 6 feet, by 18inches by 24inches... so its just a few inches shorter... in width..

Do you guys think this tank ok for Mr. Acanthuras Achilles? or am I just wasteing my time...

its just 6 inches shorter in width... I think the length matters more IMO, but I could be wrong with this species... what do you guys think???

As far as a Skimmer goes, I stopped useing skimmers about a year ago... because of not being able to keep a certain species of coral that SHALL NOT BE NAMED ... PLUS... I discovered REFUGIUMS! ... so I use the FUGE for filtration... and have had really good success with them ecosystem method...

My tank levels right before the move where... pH 8.4, Temp 76*f to 79*f, Nitrates were 40ppm, due to the excessive amount of food needed to keep my Moorish Idol happy, before the purchase of the Moorish Idol they were VERY low, like 0ppm to 5ppm normally 2.5ppm.... tested by red sea reef lab
my Nitrites were of course 0ppm, and Ammonia was of course 0 ppm.. phosphates being .1ppm and staying there...again, tested After the purchase of the moorish Idol

... now that I have moved the tank the levels are

Salinity 1.025
Temp same
Ammonia 0ppm
Nitrites 0ppm
Nitrates 5ppm
phosphates .5ppm... doing WC to get them down!!
pH 8.4

BUT... I am having a bit of trouble getting those darn Ca Levels up... IVE JUST purchased B-Ionic 2 part system.. and Ive been dosing Ca for like 3 days now... and they havent BUDGED... ONLY BEING AT 350!!!!!!!... my alk is 3.5meq/l
Im using Instant Ocean... I might change to Red Sea.. and see how it goes... but by far my favorite salt is TROPIC MARIN!!!

anyway, back on subject!!!!

For lights I will put 3 175watt MH and keep my 4 VHOS... and just stagger them.... I am not going to keep SPS so Im not worried about anything more... that alone will give me 7.72WPG!!! so thats fine with me! Ill be keeping MAINLY LPS and some Softies with the occational clam.. derasa, crocea, MAYBBBEEE , but probably not, a maxima!

Filtration will be my OWN design...
a 55 gallon sump, baffeled with Plexie... and a large center part, probably 2.5 to 3 feet of of fuge... etc etc....

Stand and Canopy Ill be building myself!

Substrate will be Estes Sand, with a bag or two of CaribSea Bahamma Oolite Live Sand...

anyway.. Im just typing away!

so back to the main question about the 125gallon...
dido!

thanks !
Old 10/22/2005, 09:16 PM
Premium Member

What are you going to have for flow?

Where's your will to be weird?
Old 10/22/2005, 10:10 PM
Registered Member

For Flow... Of course, a strong Sump Pump... what would you guys recommend??? something not TOOOO strong, but not too NOT strong hahaha

I will probably use a serious of MaxiJets, because they are the best for Cycled Use.... which I want... the Tunze, are indeed VERY nice pumps, however... they are not ment for cycled use... as I discovered quite quickly... they begin doing fine... however making a very annoying loud startup noise.. then over a period of a few days to a week they start freezeing up!.. I was using the two first Sio's from tunze, I think 650 and 850? hum...

Rios, are nice too... but again arent ment for cycled use... my Rio makes Noise, like a really lound SNAP sound when it first cuts on...

So MAXI's is what Ill be useing... probably
Old 10/22/2005, 10:37 PM
404 errors turn me on

seio's aren't from tunze they are from Rio. Rio's aren't meant for use period they break and crash tanks. Of course you'd know all this if you researched. =-infoxunter025]http://www.tunze.com/149.html?&L=1&C=US&user_tunzeprod_pi1[predid]=-infoxunter025 That is a tunze they are great and have thier own wavemakers not the cheap red sea thing you are using.
Old 10/23/2005, 01:51 AM

*sigh*
Old 10/23/2005, 11:56 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
the Tunze, are indeed VERY nice pumps, however... they are not ment for cycled use... as I discovered quite quickly... they begin doing fine... however making a very annoying loud startup noise.. then over a period of a few days to a week they start freezeing up!.. I was using the two first Sio's from tunze, I think 650 and 850? hum...
You were starting to redeem yourself up to this point. What kind of LFS do you work for? I feel sorry for your customers that come in asking for advice on what to purchase, compatability etc.

Tunzes start freezing up after a few days to a week? Maybe if you were maintaining a 1500ppm of calcium. These are probably the best powerheads on the market, not to mention one of the most expensive. Do you think people would pay $200+ for something that breaks down so quickly? Where do you get your facts from? And seriously, how old are you? You sound like a 15 yr old, and with your many years of hobby experience would mean that you started during your preteen years.
Old 10/23/2005, 12:12 PM
Minion

He thinks a Seio is a Tunze... Thats it.. It's the "uber cheap" Tunze (NOT)..

sigh... it is scary to have someone giving out information at a LFS who can't tell the difference between Tunze and Seio....

..an additional 2 foot extension.. That thing hurt many people..

"Hold your children close."
Jim Hobbs
Old 10/23/2005, 01:50 PM
Guardian of Little People

Shawn, you have matched your knowledge of fish husbandry with your command of equipment.

Some days you're the dog, other days you're the hydrant
Old 10/23/2005, 02:00 PM
stop the insults, please

Guys, he is trying, correct him without being be so harsh. There is a huge change in his attitude since the start of this thread, so think about changing the attitude of the responses.

1. Rios suck. Rios shock owners. Rios break and crash tanks.
2. SEIO is not a tunze. Tunzes are top of the line, but very expensive. Worth every penny if you have the pennies. SEIOs are made by the same maker as RIOs.
3. I don't think maxijets will be enough for a 125 without a LOT of them. Even more if you are going to use a wavemaker and cycle them. Maybe get some maxijets for the wavemaker for some random flow and a big pump on a closed loop for the bulk of the flow? Not all the flow needs to be random. A few maxijets randomly cycling colliding with some big steady flow would work well.
4. HUGE difference between a 125 and a 180. Trust me. I've had a 125 for years and have wished it was a 180 for years. That 6" doesn't seem like much, but in practice its a huge deal. As a 125 owner, I strongly suggest that people get a 180 or a 225 instead of a 125.
Old 10/23/2005, 02:32 PM
Registered Member

He is trying, but right when he gains our respect, he smashes it again lol
Old 10/23/2005, 02:51 PM
Registered Member

My gah... its really unreal... I mean, excuse me for getting confussed about the makers of PH's.... I realized this yesterday night when I went to bed that I had switched up the makers, but wasnt about to get online at 2 in the morning to change it...

I SUPPOSE I SHOULD HAVE!

EVERYONE makes mistakes... EVERYONEEEEE wether they admit it or not... I know that IM NOT PERFECT, and I hate to tell anyone else who THINKS they are... YOU ARENT!...

EXCUSE MY CONFUSSION!!! IF THAT MAKES ANY DIFFERENCE!

Thank you Discocarp for that help, and for the great information you gave me here... YOU WILL BE REMEMBERED for it!
I am still getting the 125 ... heck for 50 bucks and a 5 dollar tube of silicon I cant just NOT take that deal!...

As for the 180gallon, yeah, that 6 inches is a big deal now that I think about it... if you look at a filled 125 and a filled 180. there really is a BIG DIFFERENCE... that difference is A WHOLE LOTTA ROOM TO SWIM!

geeze!
I will still be on the look out for another 180gallon sale... if there isnt one by feb or march... I will probably just break down and buy one!

As for the issue with FLOW... as of course, IM SUREEEE everyone here now knows about!

Last night, after posting I DID DO SOME RESEARCH... I am thinking of getting the TUNZE TURBELLE Multicontroller 7095.000 and for PH's Im thinking 2 of the Turbelle STREAM 6000's.... it says for aquariums 52 to 264 gallons and its got anywhere from 660 to 1849 GPH... So I think that should be enough for my 75 gallon and for the 125... I might need another for the 125...

what do you guys think of that? sound good?

REMEMBER... I DO NOT WANT TO BLOW MY CORALS AWAY... I will be keeping corals like the following:

LPS
Alveopora
Bubble
Blastomussa
Candy Cane coral
Goniopora
YT Torch
Hammers
Anchors
Frogspawn
Plates SHORTTENT
Turbinaria
Brains of various species
etc...

SPS:
just a few... probably just
a Blue Tort
maybe some green species acro
maybe a birdsnest
um... oH yeah!
a YELLOW PORTITES
Monti Dig.
Monti Cap.
things of that nature

Softies will be
Leathers like Lemnalia/Neolemnalia/Umbrella/cabage/silt corals
CLAUVARIA Soloman Islands... Green, very expensive, very beautiful.. I already have a good goftball size frag
Zoos
Palathoas
Xenias POMPOM
Shrooms, ricordia,reds, blues, greens, other hairys
a few others

and oh yeah... clams
Crocea, Derasa, maybe a Maxima
no gigas, or hips or squams

also Inverts will be cleaners of course
cucumbers PINK AND YELLOW 1 each
slugs... Lettuce 2
etc....

anyway... You guys let me know what you think... please try to keep this thread HELPFULL and not HATEFULL

thanks