Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/05/2005, 12:18 PM
Registered Member

Thank you. Receiving livestock shipments in Oklahoma in July and August is challenging. I always try to order shipments during the cooler "<100" periods. On the more delicate species, I won't ship in until the weather cools into the 80s. Looks like mid-September before I order. Thanks again.
Old 08/05/2005, 12:39 PM
angelfish nut!

I have them ship to the local Fedex facility for customer pickup. It is always available for pickup when they open at 9 am and arrives to the Fedex facility around 7 am where it sits in AC. The danger comes when it sits in the truck all day... by this method you avoid problems and stress for that matter.

On a side note... I've also ordered lyretails and Bartlett's from LA and they were great as well... you could request any amount of males/females for the Bartlett's as they aren't distinguished by item #.

Attention to detail!

Just say NO to detritus

What is recommended to the novice and what experienced reefers do are two different things.
Old 08/05/2005, 08:36 PM
Premium Member

Cant help but worry about new fish when they hide for days.
Getting really worried about the female. The male came out to feed today. Ate a bunch of Live Brine Shrimp, but I havent seen the female.
Old 08/05/2005, 09:52 PM
Registered Member

Do you guys prefer the bartletts or lyretails? Anthias aren't available in the Tulsa area so my knowledge of them is limited to what I read.
Old 08/05/2005, 10:03 PM
Premium Member

curthendrix Both are hardy. Squas can vary in color depending on the area collected. If you got the space I would go with a small group of each. You can't go wrong with anthias!!
Old 08/06/2005, 02:50 PM
Premium Member

Just a quick update. Saw both the Male & Female out last night, after the Halides went out. Both look healthy. The male is out a lot now, hoping the female follows.
Old 08/10/2005, 11:57 AM
angelfish nut!

FYI the females just came in stock at Liveaquaria for those interested...

Attention to detail!

Just say NO to detritus

What is recommended to the novice and what experienced reefers do are two different things.
Old 08/10/2005, 05:10 PM
Premium Member

Finally got a photo op.
The female ate a lot today. Very happy about that. She is never out long enough to get a photo though.

Here is the Male. Hope you like him.

Copps, just went back and looked at your photos. Make me appreciate them more. Those are nice pics.

Hef

Old 08/10/2005, 05:49 PM
Premium Member

Hef...where did you get the male? I've been looking for one for over a year. Tough fish to get a hold of!
Old 08/10/2005, 06:27 PM
Premium Member

Local LFS here in NJ. He orders fish from out in LA. He's getting some great fish. He has another one right now. He doesnt mail order, but might consider it.
I'll check for you.
Old 08/10/2005, 06:33 PM
Premium Member

Hef

If nothing else could you find out where he gets his stuff and maybe I could buy direct?
Old 08/10/2005, 07:27 PM
Premium Member

Hey guys,
Did these anthias come in with any parasites from Live Aquaria? I am thinking about ordering a couple but I have no q tank. I have a pair of interruptus angels and do not want to risk parasites from other fish. Did you guys qtank yours? Or, did you just put them in? Any signs of disease? Thanks.
Old 08/10/2005, 08:15 PM
Premium Member

Mine came in perfect. I acclimated for a couple hours by the drip method and put them in the tank. That was about a week ago and they are out eating. I've heard good reports from Live aquaria from many others. This was my first experience so that's all I have to go on. I'd go for it.
Old 08/10/2005, 08:21 PM
Premium Member

Hi Tom,
Thanks for the info. I just ordered 2 of them from Live Aquaria. I have a 150g tank with a pair of interruptus, a pair of clowns, and a doliatus. I was wondering what you think would be the optimal number of these fish? Eventually, I would love to get a male. I wonder if I should order 1-2 more? Btw, what are you feeding yours now?
Old 08/10/2005, 08:27 PM
Premium Member

Mine are eating lots of stuff. I got some live Brine, of course they love that. They love the Frozen Brine also. Funny thing is, they really seem to like the Flake - Prime Reef and also the Formula Two.
The Male loves to eat.
Old 08/10/2005, 08:28 PM
Premium Member

Hef,
How many do you have? Have they shown any agression at all toward themselves or other fish?
Old 08/10/2005, 08:34 PM
Premium Member

Maximus

I'd start out with what you have ordered. Females aren't as difficult to get as the males so I think you would be able to get them in the future if you wish. They aren't as aggressive as other species so i think you would be ok to add some at a later date. I feed all my anthias a mixture of mysid (I use Hikari brand for it isn't as large as the Pisine brand), bloodworm, daphnia and brine. The daphnia is nice for it stays in the water column for awhile for the fish to pick it up. All my anthias species really seem to like dahnia. Might also want to try cyclopeeze for I've heard good things even though I haven't personally used it for a long time.
Old 08/10/2005, 08:36 PM
Premium Member

Thanks again Tom. How often do you feed btw? Have you seen any agression amongst the anthias?
Old 08/10/2005, 08:43 PM
Premium Member

I feed 2-3 times a day. Just had a friend over y day and we figured I'm using about one full cube package a day! Do realize however I'm an anthias nut and now have over 45 anthias of various species in my 260. Aggression is pretty minimal I think mainly for the amount of fish in the system. Some of the worst are Hutchi males and Bartletts towards certain species. But no one fish has perished due to being harrassed.
Old 08/10/2005, 08:59 PM
Premium Member

OMG! I full package daily? WOW! Will keep you updated on the order and pics will follow. Thanks.
Old 08/10/2005, 09:11 PM
Registered Member

Hey Tom,
do you have a full tank pic?
Old 08/10/2005, 09:22 PM
Premium Member

Mine havent settled in long enough to show aggression. They spend their day hiding from the big bad Angel Fish.
The male and Female hang together very closely. No aggression between them.
Old 08/10/2005, 09:53 PM
angelfish nut!

What's up Maximus!? How are the frags... and those interuptus!? I head to Hawaii and Guam next month with work and have been in touch with the breeder (Frank Baensch of RCT Hawaii for those who don't know) and I'm meeting up with him if I have time as I'm just in Oahu for two days. Small world and great to see you hear... we share the passion for the odd and pricey!

Hef, beautiful male! What LFS? I grew up in Jersey and worked at a LFS while in high school and summers in college.

I've now had my bimacs (pictured on the previous page) for over a month and they continue to amaze me... the male feeds more like a grouper, taking in sometimes big chunks of gel based block foods that no other anthias would touch... I feed twice a day and they seem to be fine...

Aside from the week to settle in, I continue to be surprised at how well these guys are doing... far from the class of the ventralis and tukas...

Tom, Liveaquaria has gotten the males a couple of times, but they sell fast, and often don't last long enough to receive the e-mail update, so check regularly and order quickly...

I've ordered from Liveaquaria countless times, including two of my regal angels, and they really are top notch...

Attention to detail!

Just say NO to detritus

Old 08/10/2005, 10:38 PM
Premium Member

Hey John,
All the frags are doing great. The superman danae has grown tremendously and it may be time to frag! Do you plan on getting some interruptus from Frank? That would be great if you are! I can't wait to get my Anthias! Btw, what size tank do you have now?
Old 08/11/2005, 04:36 AM
Premium Member

I'll try to post some pics in the next few days.