Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Selling, Trading and Transaction Feedback Forums > Buyer/Seller Feedback

Old 03/02/2005, 02:34 AM
Registered Member

hahahahahhaa LMAO>>> thanks for the laugh Hooba!
Old 03/02/2005, 07:48 AM
Registered Member

Bravo, Bravo!!!
Old 03/02/2005, 11:49 PM
Moved On

A fugitive on the run

Mr. Lang has asked for his club forum to be shut down. It seems Mr. Lang is running from his responsibilities. He has set up his own site for his club* MONEY RACKET* good luck on every seeing your money.
Old 03/03/2005, 08:28 AM
Moved On

Mr. Lang you must really be a bad person, the nerve of you to start a club and then close it down after you take money, what a scam. You must be a unemployed loser and live under a rock. Now I know how you can afford that 300 gallon tank and it looks s**T . Also that ad for the lights was very misleading you should of really spelled out what was for sale. Shame on you. I hope your club going down in flames. Grrrrr. unemployed loser
Old 03/03/2005, 08:32 AM
Moved On

unoit,eriksmacks, you go boys
Old 03/04/2005, 08:57 PM
Registered Member.

Just wanted to update everyone on the A4. Luckily, IceCap has repaired the ballast (got it back today). I've still never heard anything from Mr. Lang (other than the posts he made to this thread) and, at this point, don't really expect any. I'm just hopeful that this thread will hang around for awhile and stop anyone else from being taken advantage of. I appreciate everyone's responses as it's reassured me that folks with the ethics of a Terry Lang are in the minority on the forum. Thanks, Mike
Old 03/04/2005, 10:19 PM
Legal Reefer

Quote:
I appreciate everyone's responses as it's reassured me that folks with the ethics of a Terry Lang are in the minority on the forum. Thanks, Mike
Sorry you were burned and treated this way by Mr. Lang.
And glad you understand he only represents the Very few here.
What a way to Join R.C. Stick around. This is a great place.

To R.C.
Old 03/04/2005, 10:36 PM
Moved On

Old 03/05/2005, 12:18 AM
Moved On

Yup we flamed him good like a gang rape. We can all feel good about that. He will think twice now about trying to sell his junk around here. Many of “us� are of such fine character we did not have the guts to confront him without the veil of brand new IDs to conceal our cheap pot shots. I confess that I even got caught up in this petty BS.

This was a case of sour gapes between a seller and buyer, the seller’s ad was fine, the buyer did not express a desire for one ballast over the other. The seller told the buyer it was under warranty and get it fixed and today the buyer says it was repaired under warranty.

I am sorry Mr. Lang for being such an A-hole in my previous posts, also I went to your club website since that was attacked…. If the club was in my area I would check it out.

Hopefully men of character will follow my lead.
Old 03/05/2005, 02:42 AM
Registered Member

good to hear things turned out "ok" for you Mufret
Hoobastank- you KICKED his assss
Mr.Lang - OWNED. OWNED. OWNED. i dont think we'll be seeing him again, maybe under a different account and he can still be self nominated president of his 1, 2, or 3 member club.
Old 03/05/2005, 09:48 AM
Registered Member.

As a response to Littledim's comments, I wouldn't go so far as to say that just because the ballast was repaired under warranty, everything is OK. There is still the fact that I can't use the ballast for what I purchased it for and the wiring harness that was sent along with it was unusable. The only parts of the items that I received from Mr. Lang that are currently being used are the reflectors and endcaps (I ended up having to buy an IceCap 660 and new harness). As for the correctness of the ad, I did ask about the 2 different ballasts and was misinformed by Mr. Lang. Finally, and I think more importantly, the disrespect Mr. Lang showed by refusing to discuss the situation after the the problems were identified showed his true character! This thread wouldn't be here if he would have had the decency to communicate with me.
Old 03/05/2005, 09:54 AM
Registered Member

Littledim:

I don't know why are being apologetic except for the way you chose to attack him. It's clear that this was not merely sour grapes. If you buy something and it happens to be broken, it shouldn't be consider alright simply because it is still under warranty.

Everyone else - lets try to keep to the facts and stop debating about it his club. I've heard compliants about it but that is for another debate. These threads only have value if they stick around and at this a mod would probably consider removing this one.

Mufret:
I'm glad it worked out for you since the ballast is fixed. But this ballast still isn't going to fire the lighting setup he sent is it?

Everytime my parents, girlfriend, advisor, or anyone asks how my dissertation proposal is going, I start talking about my newest reef tank....
Old 03/05/2005, 03:00 PM
Moved On

Think about it littledim is Mr Lang trying to save face and promote himself as a ok person with a great club. Im sure the rc mods would see that it shares the same ip address. Mr Lang good bye and lots of luck in future scams.
Old 03/05/2005, 03:44 PM
Moved On

sde219

My take “NOW� after taking the time to read the beginning story –
1. The ad was not misleading.
2. The buyer received everything as advertised.
3. The sellers said it was working.
4. The buyer said it flashed all four bulbs.
5. Did the buyer blow ballast ???

Who do you believe? A case of he said she said.

Now add this to the mix buyer discovers that A4 is not approved for T5 use and wants his money back. Seller side “it was working on his tank when he packed them� so he said. The seller tells the buyer it was under warranty and to get them fixed—the buyer tells us it is fixed. --- That’s why I say sour grapes. The buyer purchased a new 660 because he was not willing to use the A4 fine no problem, but that is not Mr. Lang’s problem.

If someone is selling a Model X5 skimmer with a Mag drive 2 pump for $150.00 and you buy it because you feel it is a good deal. You get it and plug it in and the flow it to low, you then call the manufacturer and find out that the recommended pump is a Mag 7, would you be ripped off? I think the next time you buy something you should know what you are buying. Mufret, you had a choice in the ad A4 or Icecap 660.

What more could Mr. Lang do in communicating with you. All you wanted was your money back for a bad buying decision.
Old 03/05/2005, 05:29 PM
Registered Member

Littledim holds no merit what so ever, can't even post as his true self how childish. My but is thats its the Club president again making another bad move.
Be a man, don't hide behind fake names. Call it like it is.
Old 03/05/2005, 07:14 PM
Registered Member

Looks like Littledim was Mr Lang to me
Old 03/05/2005, 09:54 PM
Registered Member

Yeah, or there is another name that is good candidate too but thats from our local scene so you wouldn't be in on that
Erik
Old 03/06/2005, 10:27 PM
Registered Member

What a rip off, I didn't see anyone question the pic he posted, it isnt 4 48" bulbs, I don't even know what kind of lighting it is, there are 3 fixtures, but i see no 48" floresent bulbs??? Anybody else notice that???

I wish he lived in cincinnati ohio instead of lorain ohio!
Old 03/07/2005, 07:57 PM
No Bonds in Oakland!!!!!!

i think all the bad thing that happen in this world happen because of people like Mr Lang. it just makes me sick. I recently sold my Car, yes CAR on ebay. a 1969 chevy camaro and was worried sick that the buyer wouldn't be happy with a 36 year old car that i tried to post everything wrong with. I went above and beyond for this buyer, i did everything i could to make him know he made a fine purchase and was very satisified.
Mr Lang you have done the exact opposite, and then try to come on under a differnt name and justify you actions. to hell with you.

Sorry for the strong language but i'm very passionate about people being fair to one another.
Old 03/07/2005, 08:28 PM
Registered Member

ggg

what different name did he come under??? and did anybody note what I said about the pic of the lights he put up??? its not what he sold??? or should I say stold
Old 03/07/2005, 10:06 PM
Registered Member

What's with all the people chiming in that have new accounts starting in March? Are you afraid people will find out who you really are? Granted I haven't been around the longest either, but this thread has just gotten out of hand.

Everyone is assuming they know what's going on and are a little quick to call names. I see no problem here. The buyer has a working ballast and working bulbs. Why is it the sellers problem that things weren't hooked up correctly in the first place that probably caused the ballast to "blow"? And now why is it the sellers problem that the buyer refuses to use the ballast, just because the manufacturer doesn't "recommend" it. There are plenty of things that work well outside of manufacturers recommendations. The bulbs worked fine for a year with that ballast, so what's the problem? Hook it up and double check the wiring before turning it on. If I had sold an item that left my hands in working condition and wasn't damaged in transit, I wouldn't give a refund either just because someone didn't "recommend" using the ballast with T5 bulbs. Who cares what the manufacturer recommends. They worked together. Are you all implying that the seller lied about that?

This is a great forum, a great hobby and a great community. Everyone bends over backwards to try to give advice and help each other learn from our mistakes. I know I've helped enough people myself and was helped when I was starting out. We all want to steer clear of rip-off artist and scammers. But I don't think a case of buyer reluctance constitues a scam. Take a look at the facts in this case. I don't think the buyer or seller did anything wrong in the transaction. It's the name calling and assumptions that have happened after the sale that are the scam.

Everyone needs to take a deep breath, check the facts and calm down a little. Let's keep this forum a pleasant place to interact.

Bill.
Old 03/07/2005, 10:55 PM
Registered Member

Terry's brother Bill, also tank of the month on The north coast club site, to the rescue.
Old 03/07/2005, 11:33 PM
Registered Member

lol This is down right CRAZY
Old 03/07/2005, 11:52 PM
Registered Member.

Vette68 - I'm not sure whether the mention that you are Terry's brother is accurrate or not but I wonder if you would be so understanding if you were on my end of the transaction? I did not blow the ballast, it came to me in that condition. Perhaps it happened while it was being disassembled or maybe it was the result of the rust on the harness that came with it? I wonder how that got there? The wiring was properly installed and once the harness and bulbs were replaced and a working ballast hooked up, everything worked fine. Yes, I now have a working VHO ballast and, yes, there are many things that we use that manufacturers don't recommend but that's not what I was told when I specifically asked about the differences in the 2 ballasts. The response that I got was that "they are exactly the same and the URI has least amount of usage". I didn't request a particular one but I also was not told that I would be getting one over the other. I've also never called your brother (if that's the case) a rip off artist or scammer, I've simple stated that what was advertised (as well as, what I was told) and what I received were 2 different things and that's exactly what this forum is for. To tell you the truth, I actually take more offense at what's happened after all the facts were laid out, which is nothing! To me, not having heard a word, other than the few comments in this thread, from Terry Lang, says alot.
Old 03/08/2005, 12:54 AM
Registered Member

yea I thought something was fishy when I saw the two were both from ohio.

One thing I will say about this whole situation is...when I sell things on ebay, if there is a problem with something, I would expect the buyer to contact me before opening up and working on anything, because once thats been done I will not have anything else to do with it. I would have no way of knowing what was done since its not a qualified tech working on it.

I don't know if you did that, but I think I would have stopped right when It didnt work and sent it back to him for a refund, not try to do a repair. Just IMO