Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/19/2006, 01:35 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by zemuron114
they are only found 100+ feet. You will never see them any shallower! its quite strange. And they only live on rubble bottoms, and that is limited in Hawaii.
Not really. If you know where to look, flame wrasses can be quite common at 40'-60' (and deeper, of course). They do indeed like rubble, but can be found in algal meadows and on reefs occasionally.

Flame wrasses aren't really rare, but they're a pain in the @$# to catch. They swim like crazy and seem to always find the one hole in your net that you were too lazy to patch. There's always plenty of demand for them too, which keeps the prices up.
Old 01/20/2006, 02:44 AM
Premium Member

i stand corrected lol.. My friend actually caught a pair the other day at 60 feet.

RGBmatt - do you collect? I've been so for 3 or 4 months
Old 01/20/2006, 02:45 AM
Premium Member

bronco, i forgot to add

i was thinking of getting a changing male to add to 7-8 females and my existing pair now. Would my male now change into a supermale if there was a less dominant changing male?

I dont want to cause any excess stress on either male so i wouldn't mind having a harem with one male.

just curious if it was possible

Thanks
Old 01/20/2006, 09:47 AM
Registered Member

Zemuron,

Your current male would be a bit irritated at the presence of a new male. Even if it were a younger specimen in the middle of a sex change from female to male. If indeed the new specimen you're adding is younger or juvenile what will likely happen is that the older male will chase him around quite a bit. Eventually the younger male will begin a process of reverting back to female becuase the presence of a stronger older male is in place.

As far as your older male becoming a Supermale, well that's hard to say. I think that at minimum your older male will enhance his colors a bit and certainly play the role of "king". As far as how big he will get in a captive enviroment, I don't think that is something we can say with all certainty due to the lack of past experiences with this breed. Very few hobbyists take the time to build large harems and track the development of the fish and how this affects them. Usually hobbyists just buy the male of each species becuase it's so brightly colored as opposed to the female. While I have heard of sex changes in isoloated cases. I haven't heard of someone taking a male with a harem and have him grow into a full blown supermale. You're in a great position because of where you live and the access you have to these fish. If you're able to dedicate your large tank to this purpose, by all means do so. I think you'll have a very pretty display of fish since these fairies are so bright in coloration (even the females). I think you'll eventually have a very beautifully colored male that will regularly display and dance for the girls. How big he'll get or what other color characteristics he might develop.....can't really say.
Old 01/20/2006, 10:14 AM
Premium Member

would a 35 gallon hex work for a harem of flame wrasses? like one male 3 or 4 females?
Old 01/20/2006, 10:40 AM
Registered Member

Old 01/20/2006, 04:30 PM
Premium Member

Brad23

Great shot. I have the same Wrasse in my tank. Got him last week. Cant wait until he looks this nice.
Old 01/20/2006, 07:31 PM
Registered Member

It's such a nice looking fish, I got him 2 days ago. He's about 3 inches so he's almost fully grown.

The green on his body changes to a blue when you see him at different angles.
Old 01/20/2006, 11:20 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by zemuron114
RGBmatt - do you collect? I've been so for 3 or 4 months
Yes - for the past couple of years. Keeping aquaria is a lot more interesting if you can catch everything yourself.

But I'd rather not clog up the thread with unrelated stuff like that - feel free to PM me if you want to talk more about that.
Old 01/21/2006, 02:09 AM
Registered Member

FYI

Just lost my Pink Margin Super Male to jumping. But its not what you think, he landed in the overflow. I woke up for work this evening to the tank pumps being off, turned out that the GFCI had triped. The 5gal top off bucket was empty (should have been a clue) and I had just filled it this morning. I reset the GFCI and watched the tank, only to knotie that the level in the sump just bairly but knoticably was continuing to fall. I stood up and found the tank was now overflowing the overflow and moments from totally overflowing. Pulled the stand pipe and still its just bairly draining. I then pulled the hose that leads from the tank to the sump out of the Media tower and water gushed out, and you could see a fish lodged in the elboe, dead.
He made it through the stand pipe in the overflow, and the flexable drain pipe only to lodge in a 90* elboe just above the media tower in my sump. This probably lead to the tank actually overflowing. Not 15 minutes after I freed the plumbing of its obstruction, there was a short in one of the light timmers (smoke, and archs big enough to light up the timer from the inside, bright enough to read by).

Moral of the story cover your overflow also.

The memories of a man in his old age,
Are the deeds of a man in his prime.
Pink Floyd
Old 01/23/2006, 01:49 PM
reef supply website owner

My flame fairy pair

Ok guys, I received my flame fairy pair from Zemuron, straight from hawaii... Picked them up in the airport, they arrived alive, and in perfect condition, packed well, and proper temperature with the heat packs in place.

Here are pics of them in acclimation and still working on getting pics of them out and about...got one of the male, but female is quick and nimble.

If you guys want to buy flames, i would recommend Zemuron and he said we can do a group buy if there are several interested.

G

G
Old 01/23/2006, 04:29 PM
Premium Member

Re: My flame fairy pair

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ghever
[B]Ok guys, I received my flame fairy pair from Zemuron, straight from hawaii... Picked them up in the airport, they arrived alive, and in perfect condition, packed well, and proper temperature with the heat packs in place.

Here are pics of them in acclimation and still working on getting pics of them out and about...got one of the male, but female is quick and nimble.

If you guys want to buy flames, i would recommend Zemuron and he said we can do a group buy if there are several interested.

G

Is Zemuron a private collector? I would be interested in buying in a group buy or individually. Can you supply contact information?

Great looking Wrasse. WOW.
Old 01/24/2006, 07:16 PM
reef supply website owner

douglasnj,

Zemuron collects, but I think these were collected by a friend of his.

As for contacting him, you can do so yourself..he has posts all over this thread...just send him a PM and he can hook you up.. or if there are several of you, let me know and we can put together a group buy.

G
Old 01/24/2006, 08:00 PM
Premium Member

this is an enormous thread so i will just ask, pardon if it has already been answered...

what are some good fairy/flasher wrasses that will be happy in a BB tank. I know alot of them need sand..

Thanks
Old 01/24/2006, 08:45 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JER-Z
this is an enormous thread so i will just ask, pardon if it has already been answered...

what are some good fairy/flasher wrasses that will be happy in a BB tank. I know alot of them need sand..

Thanks
Henry C. Schultz III:

" They are diurnally active and sleep at night pinned within rockwork, protected by a mucus cocoon which they secrete around themselves. A similar cocoon in Parrotfish was demonstrated to protect the sleeping fish by masking its scent from the sensitive olfactory nerves of nocturnal predators. It is presumed that the cocoon performs the same function for Cirrhilabrus."

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/20...hcs3/index.php
Old 01/25/2006, 01:26 AM
Premium Member

Is it just me or is the female flame wrasse almost as attractive as the male?

(he he. He said males are attractive.. he he.)
Old 01/25/2006, 10:07 PM
Registered Member

I would like to give Justdave and Kermit's Reef a big thumbs up and say thank you once again. My Tono's arrived in great shape (even eating while acclmating), and the packing was more than enough, Tripple baged, with a fourth much larger bag around that, and bubble wrap filling he rest of the room. The best part though was just dealing with them.
I will post pictuers when I finally get some good shots of him.

The memories of a man in his old age,
Are the deeds of a man in his prime.
Pink Floyd
Old 01/25/2006, 10:39 PM
Registered Member

Very excited to see the pics
Old 01/25/2006, 11:59 PM
Premium Member

i love the female flames... they are so pretty. The males have the deep red/yellow, but the females have pink/purple/reds... very nice indeed!
Old 01/26/2006, 08:06 AM
Premium Member

the box worked. when i let the long fin out there was no fighting. but i think my long fin was trying to catch up on some exercise. he was zipping around the tank back and forth.
Old 01/27/2006, 09:38 AM
Registered Member

Okay here's a first for me and according two a couple of other sources a first for any fairy wrasse collector in the US.

Here's a picture of a Cirrhilabrus Johnsoni male.

[/IMG]

This fish was classified in 1988 by J.Randall but actually named after David S. Johnson because he was the first to collect specimens off the Marshall Islands.

This fish has not been available to the aquarium trade due to its deep water habitat that makes collection difficult.

Big Thanks go out to Brian Green of Twilight Aquatics....aka BGreene on these forum boards.

Brian is the owner of his own fish collection business in Hawaii and the one who made this possible. According to Hiroyuki Tanaka of Japan....the king of fairy wrasse knowledge....these are the first to come into the US and I will most likely be the first hobbyist to keep one. Actually I think Brain is actually the first.

Nonetheless, this is the picture of the male I'm receiving. I also have a female for him on the way. As soon as I get actual pictures of the fish I will post them on here. I should receive the fish sometime next week.

Once again, many thanks to Brian! I encourage everyone to see his new web site: www.twilightaquatics.net
Old 01/27/2006, 09:53 AM
Registered Member.

bronco i aspire to be like you and have my 300 dominated by fairy wrasses and anthias.
Old 01/27/2006, 10:22 AM
Premium Member

Just setting up a 65 gallon coral tank but I think, but after reading through this thread I am hooked on fairy's. Can a stony coral/fairy wrasse tank work???
Old 01/27/2006, 12:29 PM
Premium Member

Wow bronco those are sweet. Good luck. Seeing how deep they live how do you think they will do in a brightly lit aquarium?
Old 01/27/2006, 12:29 PM
RC Staff

This thread was automatically split due to performance issues. You can find the rest of the thread here: http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...hreadid=761763