Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs

Old 01/02/2008, 09:10 PM
Registered Member

Best of luck, keep me posted i want to know how it turns out.
Old 01/02/2008, 09:18 PM
Excuse My French...

Gigs: My yellow zoanthids were sold as "Zoanthid sp." So I can't tell you more...

About budget: I have been able to build my RSM with just a bit more of $2000. It is not fully stocked yet, but soon. I have tried to be reasonable when picking specimens and I have not "upgraded" too much in the tank.
Old 01/02/2008, 09:19 PM
Registered Member

ok i will!
Old 01/03/2008, 01:50 AM
Registered Member

Re: Been Their, Lived Their! Don't Care to Again!

Quote:
Originally posted by NaCl+H2O Fish

I'm sure BrentF, our newest friend is laughing right now.... He told me after his first photo post that it was 14 F in Calgary! Hmmm - Where does an Ironman Triathlete Train in the winter?

We ride indoors a couple times a week but I still do most of my riding outside in winter. I have studded tires on my commuter bike and ride 20K each direction to downtown throughout the winter.

Calgary gets chinook winds that melt the snow so our roads and paths are dry most the winter so it is no problem running outside in winter. I actually prefer running in winter over summer.

Swimming is indoors in winter with the lakes frozen over.

I've been to Florida 3 times and two for the three times it was colder there than here. I remember doing the Disney World Marathon in 2001 and it was -8C (17F) at the start.

For heat, in July 2007 I was running in Badwater, Death Valley. It was 54C (129F) in the shade - the pavement was hot enought to fry an egg.
Old 01/03/2008, 05:37 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by stephensturman
well my clown does has ich. how do i do a garlic and selcon treatment? and i also picked up a canary blenny.
Bad news, but garlic and selcon probably aren't going to cure your ich problem, and your canary blenny (if its in the same tank) is probably going to die too if untreated.
Old 01/03/2008, 06:19 AM
Premium Member

Talking ANOTHER NEW RSM OWNER

Just got my son and I a RSM up and running for christmas... Got first half of my live rock and live sand package from TBS and everything seems to be going swimmingly....
Old 01/03/2008, 07:35 AM
Genuine reef addict

stephensturman - I think it was Donna that recommended "Medic" by Polyp lab for a reef safe ich treatment. I'm not sure if she's had experience with it or not.

SpiderCrab2 - welcome to the RSM Club! I'm sure you & your son will enjoy a reef tank. Good luck with it, and if you have any questions there are enough RSM owners in here that will certainly try to help. Let us know how it goes.
Old 01/03/2008, 10:22 AM
Registered Member

stephensturman - I did the garlic thing for about 6 weeks, and IT WORKED for all those non-believers. I just put 3 drops of garlic in a bowl with about two TBS of tank water, put in a brine shrimp cube. Let it thaw and stew for 10 minutes, and then just put it in the tank. It confuses the new ich because it makes the fish not taste like a fish, and this is what they are looking for. It is COMPLETELY reef safe, and for the risk to all of the rest of your tank with those "reef safe meds", what's the hurt? If you have a loop for a chiller or anythhing like that, it wouldn't hurt to add a UV sterilizer to kill the free swimmers. I did all of this, didn't lose a fish or coral, and have been ich free for 3 months.
Old 01/03/2008, 10:56 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by stephensturman
ya i think its early enough that i can garlic the food. he has very faint white spots u have to look really hard to be able to see any sign of them. and there not cysts. so i think it is very early!
Happy New Year Everyone!

"Reefsafe" Treatments are hit and miss at best. One thing you can be sure of is that they will make your skimmer go nuts. I am now a believer in garlic as a "cure " and a preventative. If caught early enough and if it is ich. Clowns are also prone to Marine Velvet which is far more contagious and deadly than ich. It looks like a fine white powder on the entire fish compared to the salt crystals of ich. I am not convinced that garlic will treat Velvet.

To use garlic put a few drops into a bowl with water and soak your food in it for 20 to 30 minutes and then feed your tank. Increase your feedings to several times per day because a fat well-fed fish is a healthy fish. I did this exact thing about a month ago for a tang that had ich and was possibly exposing the other 15 fish in my 90. No other fish got ich and the tang was "cured" in about a week.

Increasing the feedings is important so keep on eye on your chemistry. Also, it is important to remember that your tank (all of your tanks) have ich in them if there are fish in them. Its the health of the fish that keeps the ich under control. Good food, good chemistry and stable conditions = healthy, ich-free fish (in most cases).
Old 01/03/2008, 11:43 AM
Genuine reef addict

reefsr4me, lpsluver - do you two add the liquid with the food, or try to strain the liquid off first? I wonder if adding garlic to the tank itself would have any benefit at all.
Old 01/03/2008, 11:55 AM
Premium Member

Tank update... The algae is losing, and the fuge is to thank...

This is an FTS from day86, 3 days before the refugium was added. At this point I was doing water changes once to twice a week and pulling algae as I went:

Here is an FTS from today. Not only is the pest algae under control (still more to go, but much better), but we are on almost 2 weeks without a water change or algae prune due to the holidays (doing one today).

I am certainly a believer in refugiums, my cheato has grown from the size of the soap dish, to almost the size of the refugium, it will be pruned today as well. For the refugium, I have been turning the cheato every 3 days to keep it well lit on all sides. I am feeding my tank 2-3 times per day, and add DTs once per week.
Old 01/03/2008, 12:02 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Reefmack
reefsr4me, lpsluver - do you two add the liquid with the food, or try to strain the liquid off first? I wonder if adding garlic to the tank itself would have any benefit at all.
No, you really want the fish to ingest the garlic, it seeps through the skin similar to the way it does in people. Like I said before, you can use fresh garlic as well (organic) to "marinate" the food, and some foods like the Formula 2 (pellets at least) contain garlic already.
Old 01/03/2008, 12:43 PM
Registered Member

I have used Polyp Lab Medic once, and it was successful. (not in my RSM) However, I would try the garlic 'marinade' first. I do feed with the Formula 2 sinking pellets every other day now, too.
Never add livestock to a tank that has obvious signs of ich.
Good Luck.

Iostream, your tank is looking so much better! Great job & perseverance! When things go right it's a thrill!

Welcome SpiderCrab2 and son! You'll make lots of good friends here and gain invaluable knowledge & experience. ENJOY!

Brent, we live in Medicine Hat!! We shop at 3 stores in Calgary for a lot of our tank additions.
Old 01/03/2008, 02:42 PM
Genuine reef addict

Iostream - the tank is sure looking better!!! On the garlic, I assumed it had to be eaten to become a "part" of the fish, but was wondering if those mixing the garlic with food and water are putting in everything or trying to strain off the liquid somehow. If it's all added that's what had me wondering if the garlic in the water, as well as what gets eaten, might somehow have any beneficial effect.
Old 01/03/2008, 02:50 PM
Premium Member

Mack, All of the "garlic-soak" is added to the tank. What isn't taken up by the food has some benefit, although I am not sure I can say exactly what. The benefit is not long term as your skimmer will eventually remove it all.
Old 01/03/2008, 03:04 PM
Genuine reef addict

Thanks lpsluver. I'll assume the tank doesn't smell like an Italian restaurant for too long
Old 01/03/2008, 03:39 PM
Premium Member

Anyone know what this might be below the xenia in the center of the picture? I assume some sort of macro, but I have not been able to locate it.

Old 01/03/2008, 04:34 PM
Registered Member

Iostream -- I have some of that on a rock as well, I would like to know what it is also.
Old 01/03/2008, 06:48 PM
Genuine reef addict

I've seen it before, and I do think it's a macro. If I can figure out where I saw it I'll be back with info.

Edit - I actually found it. Using this link go down the page to "Scroll Algae" - I think it's one of those types.

http://www.saltcorner.com/sections/g.../algaepage.htm

Thank goodness I bookmark some of these things!
Old 01/03/2008, 07:43 PM
Registered Member

lol i have scroll algea also! and i did start soaking my food in garlic today. i also did a fresh water dip to all my fish. my diatoms are receding and everything seems to be doing great. we will see how my clown does. and as far as i know it was not my tank that had the ich it was the 1 clown that came in the last ora shipment my lfs got. he has been eating healthy and alot. they are also eating out of my hand now
Old 01/03/2008, 08:01 PM
Registered Member

stephensturman -- When was the last time you were down at AZSeabottom? Did the tanks look better? Are the fish back from quarantine? I don't want to drive 100 miles round trip if his tanks are still "Death Tanks"

Thanks!
Old 01/03/2008, 08:04 PM
Registered Member

they will be death tanks for a while! i was there a couple days ago. and i know what u mean i wouldn't drive there if my work wasn't 5 min away but from home i would just drive to aquarium arts. and the girl that works there is very good looking
Old 01/03/2008, 08:05 PM
Genuine reef addict

Congrats on the scroll algae stephensturman. Sounds like several have it. I'm guessing it's not a bad macro to have, but I don't really know. Good that you treated the fish, and are doing the garlic food - you may not have had ich in the tank to start, but if that fish has it then you've introduced it in your tank now. It sounds like you've caught it early so maybe you can get it killed off quickly. Good news on the tank maturing too! How did the fish do in the FW dip?
Old 01/03/2008, 08:25 PM
Registered Member

the fish did fine and not even stressed they both ate about 10 mins after completed.
Old 01/03/2008, 08:33 PM
Genuine reef addict

That's great Stephen!

I was just searching on Ebay and found the perfect chair to sit in while viewing the tank:

http://cgi.ebay.com/THE-BEST-DECORAT...QQcmdZViewItem

Someone else can bid on it!

Last edited by Reefmack; 01/03/2008 at 08:55 PM.