Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Invert and Plant Forums > Tridacnid Clams and other Mollusks

Old 12/28/2004, 09:19 PM
Registered Member

new clam tank project

I’ve been working on this tank for about 3 months from design to having it built. It is an edgeless tank with water flowing around all 4 sides. The top (main) tank is 24x24 x 10, and the bottom (over flow) tank is 29x29x3. The top tank has one ¾ inch bulkhead for the return and the bottom has two-¾ inch for the return. The tank was over built out of ½ inch acrylic routed and polished on the top edge so the water would flow over with out any resistance. The top tank is elevated off the bottom tank 1 inch and is supported by the bracing u see in the pictures. The bottom tank is also routed and polished of all sharp edges to give it a smooth look. Currently the return pump is a mag-drive 5 with a ball valve to control flow. Even with the valve open all the way, the return flow still handles the output of the return pump. It is a tad bit loud so I run it at about 60% flow. It is plumbed into my main display tank fuge and should help with filtration. The stand is a cabinet I picked up from Lowe’s made from oak. I had to cut the draw part to compensate for the return and drain lines. But I still wanted to use the draw so I shorted it about half the length of the original. The tank was design to be viewed top down or from side in just by adjusting the return ball valve. I currently have not set up the lights but will have them up after the first of the year. Lighting plans are a 250-watt MH 14k and 2 75 watt VHO hung from the ceiling. Comments welcomed.
Old 12/28/2004, 09:24 PM
Registered Member

Old 12/28/2004, 09:25 PM
Registered Member

Old 12/28/2004, 09:25 PM
Registered Member

Old 12/28/2004, 09:26 PM
Registered Member

Old 12/28/2004, 09:27 PM
Registered Member

Old 12/29/2004, 08:53 AM
Registered Member

i'm surpised no one has show'n much intrest in this tank
Old 12/29/2004, 10:01 AM
Dumb Hobbiest

Looks very cool. Good work! I have seen a tank like this at Inland Aquatics and thought it was really cool.
Old 12/29/2004, 11:14 AM
Registered Member

Interesting design, I wonder if you may have a hard time cleaning the sides when algae appears.

Do not feel discouraged, the main thing is that this is your project, love it, for you will enjoy its beauty, as well as carry the burden (if any, of course) of its maintenance.

Omar
Old 12/29/2004, 11:24 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Omar H
Interesting design, I wonder if you may have a hard time cleaning the sides when algae appears.

Do not feel discouraged, the main thing is that this is your project, love it, for you will enjoy its beauty, as well as carry the burden (if any, of course) of its maintenance.

Omar
nothing a little acrylic scraper can't fix on the algae. i don't have a problem with it in my main tank and this one is plumbed into the same system. i don't for-see it being a problem. at least i hope not
Old 12/29/2004, 02:59 PM
Got Salt!

Cool love the overflow system, and congradulations you are way further along on your clam tank project than mine lol....I keep having trouble with venders geting my supplys in...but once i get the 37gallon tank, its just a matter of drilling it and puting all the pieces together...
Old 12/29/2004, 03:26 PM
Registered Member

It's a beatiful tank, the workmanship on it is outstanding, and I love the pics, they document things very well. But I don't understand the point of the design of the tank itself.

I read the post and I don't understand how the view of the clams either from the top or the sides will be any good. From the top you have the return line churning up the surface, and with it flowing over the sides you're looking through a curtain of water. I would have thought having a removable sheet of acrylic over most of the top, (but leaving a large open area for water to flow over the sides, and having the sides slightly lower than the front and back so water would only flow down the sides, would improve actually being able to see the clams clearly, because it would give you two viewing panes that weren't obstructed by water movement. But then maybe I'm missing something?

B
Old 12/29/2004, 03:48 PM
Registered Member

in a few of the pictures i have the water flowing at max pressure and others i have it at 60 % flow. idealy, the flow will be cut back to 40% leaving a very light water ripple effect, which will also only flow water over the side of the tank facing the display tank. i can also ad a baffle in the return to spred the return current to the side or just one side of the tank. i've built in different options for controlling the return current. by adding small pvc caps cut/drilled in differnt places, i can force the flow any direction i want which will also flow the water over that edge.
Old 12/29/2004, 03:49 PM
Registered Member

i've given more explination here:

http://www.maast.org/index.php?name=...ewtopic&t=8780
Old 12/29/2004, 04:13 PM
Registered Member

sorry i can't see the pictures..
Old 12/29/2004, 04:33 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bagedtaco
i've given more explination here:

http://www.maast.org/index.php?name=...ewtopic&t=8780
Cool, thanks for the link. I can't wait to see the pics with the clams in it. What kind of check valve are you going to install?
I've personally gone with siphon break holes on all my returns because I've read lots of horror stories about check valves. If someone's come up with a better one that would be really great info to have. I think this is a very cool project. I never would have thought of it. It's almost like a reef fountain.
Old 12/29/2004, 04:35 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by incysor
Cool, thanks for the link. I can't wait to see the pics with the clams in it. Do you have any new pics? The maast thread looks 6 months old. What kind of check valve did you install?
I've personally gone with siphon break holes on all my returns because I've read lots of horror stories about check valves. If someone's come up with a better one that would be really great info to have. I think this is a very cool project. I never would have thought of it. It's almost like a reef fountain.
Old 12/31/2004, 03:52 AM
TRC Leader

Reef Cherie had one of those Zero Clearance tanks and the day before MACNA, the pump failed, the check valve failed and here livingroom was flooded, with all of her clams exposed to the air for an unknown period of time. She quickly acclimated them to her reef tank and then left for MACNA.

The problem with the checkvalve was that the gravel substrate was constantly drawn in to the return line each time the pump turned off, because the tank would automatically try to drain. The vacuum of this event drew in the gravel, and thus the valve could not seal.

The concept is great as long as the pump is running non-stop. The checkvalve is the flaw, but I still can't come up with an alternative solution.

I love the pictures in this thread, and the tank looks excellent. I'd make one myself if I could figure out a solution. The only one I can come up with is a tower in the center that breaks the surface unfortunately.
Old 12/31/2004, 08:46 AM
Registered Member

well. u can put a plastic/stainless steel screen in on the out going side of the check valve. also i have my return on the inside of the tank elevated abut 2.5 inches off the bottom and can raise it higher if needed after the sand bed is in place. i have the same concern as u and have been realy trhing to thing of a way. and it windo mesh screen my be the only way. it might get clogged out flowing but u can easly clean it by. i'm working on an idea as i type this and will post the results of it as soon as i build and test it.
thanks for the concern and idea. most people tell me there will be a problem with the check valve but never tell me why.
Old 12/31/2004, 12:45 PM
Save a reef. Buy a frag

Sweet Tank. Looks really good.
Old 12/31/2004, 07:49 PM
Registered Member

i will be honest with oyu. at first i had no clue what oyu were talking about. but after the pictures, all i oculd see was an awsome tanka nd one hell of an idea.

Keep up the good work

CJ
Old 12/31/2004, 08:08 PM
TRC Leader

Here's a video of one that is similar.

http://www.melevsreef.com/video/macna_tank.wmv (5 megs)

bagedtaco, I've been thinking that you might consider putting two or three check valves in a row, with unions and ball valves. That way you can remove them for cleaning. It really is a shame that everything has to rely on one little piece of plumbing, that can fail unexpectedly. Maybe if you could find a $100 checkvalve that was absolutely guaranteed to not fail, it would be worth every cent.

Btw, what does your username mean?
Old 12/31/2004, 10:06 PM
Registered Member

bagedtaco: baged taco, airbagged toyota tacoma
Old 01/11/2005, 05:22 PM
Registered Member

What has gone on with this tank? Did you stock it. Post pics! I am interested in doing something similar.
Old 01/11/2005, 05:27 PM
TRC Leader

jmwgomz

[welcome]

bagedtaco, what is the latest?