Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/27/2007, 01:01 PM
Underground Art Studio

Thanks everyone for the comments and I'm looking into all possibilities now. A friend of mine and I added the inside hardiebacker board this weekend. This stuff is very hard to work with but we got it done. Sometime this week or next weekend I'll get a chance to sand everything down. Next will be the rough electrical and then start plumbing away.

Old 08/27/2007, 01:33 PM
Uncomfortably Caffeinated

wow, are you tiling the walls?

"It's not the arrow, it's the Indian." But an Indian can't kill anything with a crooked arrow.
Old 08/27/2007, 01:44 PM
Underground Art Studio

It does look like it but no I used hardiebacker because I'm also in the middle of remodeling my bathroom. I had a few sheets left and decided to do the inside of the fish room with it. Wet, mildew resistant should hold up to any flood I can throw it - hopefully! The white stuff is actually thin-set mortar. This is how I did my bathroom - the thin set works great and you just sand it flat to the wall.
Old 08/27/2007, 03:12 PM
Uncomfortably Caffeinated

Thats a good idea. Throw some enamel paint on there and it will outlast your house LOL

"It's not the arrow, it's the Indian." But an Indian can't kill anything with a crooked arrow.
Old 08/27/2007, 03:43 PM
Underground Art Studio

Yeah - I'm figuring Storm shelter! We should get a break on our insurance with a room like that - Right!!!! Dan, that's what I was thinking - sand it down, primer and a coat of water proof paint. Nothing will be getting through those walls!
Old 08/27/2007, 10:12 PM
Registered Member

You are getting there. After the drywall and electric it should be all fun..

(Red House for my 425 system)
Old 08/28/2007, 07:00 AM
Registered Member

Wow, looks like a lot of work. I am really interested in the plumbing!! I am subscribed. . . . Looks great so far.
Old 08/28/2007, 07:48 AM
Registered Member

Impressive, this is going to be one tank im looking forward to follow!

If Pacman had effected us as kids, then we'd all be running around in a dark room, munching pills and listening to repetitive music
Old 08/28/2007, 08:09 AM
Patient Reefer

How much did that cement board weigh?
How bid were the sheets?
Old 08/28/2007, 08:27 PM
Underground Art Studio

Welcome aboard everyone - any thoughts just speak up.

Mike - I just checked and the 1/2 board weighs in at 39lbs and is 3'x5'. It wasn't to bad, but of course I was the one screwing in the screws not holding it up .

Here are some new additions to my livestock list - Picked them up today from a local reefer - they are beautiful!

Hippocampus zosterae - Rambo

Hippocampus erectus - Godzilla
Old 08/31/2007, 06:06 AM
Underground Art Studio

Token
Well I tried to move the skimmer to the other end but it would be very hard to get to for maintenance. The AC unit vents can be moved so the air will not be blowing directly on the skimmer. I'm sure it wouldn't hurt it if it did but I can change the flow. As far as bumping into it, it will be on a stand and it's as big as I am, so if I bumped into it I shouldn't be in the fish room because I'll most likely end up in the tank (I think I would already be tanked ļ ).

The plumbing should not be around the door at all and I'm keeping that in mind. The QT is completely isolated from the rest of the system (Only water that is). Of course that is by design. I am thinking about having an auto top off system connected to it. I really don't want to have to worry about pumps sucking air in the middle of the night. The frag tank will be connected to the system and one of the pumps will deliver water to it (From the sump) and I want the output by gravity. This is my biggest concern about the smaller tanks, will gravity work. Everything will have ball valves to control the water going in and out so I should be okay.

I do plan on adding a table, actually it's a must have for me. It will most likely be on the left side of the door as you walk into the fish room. I was thinking about putting my ATO system on the bottom and making my table top on the top of it. My number one location for the ATO is under the tank but with the plumbing there I'm not sure if it will fit.

Thank you for all the comments.

Last edited by ReefArtist; 08/31/2007 at 06:12 AM.
Old 09/03/2007, 05:54 AM
Underground Art Studio

I'm combining my local build thread (http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...0&pagenumber=1) to this thread.

Here are some of the discussions we have been having on it:
AquaController III and the new Tunze Pump controller they are coming out with:

ReefArtist: Nothing beats the Tunze for flow, adjustability and reliability. I'm waiting on the controller, I'd like the ACIII to control these but I also want to make sure they have the same controls as the Tunze controller, otherwise I'll purchase the controller that goes with it.

chrismhaase: I would go with the controller. One because it was made for them. And two, it increases the flow and lastly makes a bunch of different pulses of waves. I don't think that the AC 3 can't control it the same. I have the Jr. and I know it can not replicate the same wave patterns. Also, with the controller you get a moonlight and it can control up to 8 powerheads. That is pretty cool if you ask me.

ReefArtist:Chris I'm talking about the ACIII, it has a new controller just for the Tunze pumps. This is a new unit for the AquaController - isn't really out yet but I believe you can preorder now. Me - I'm waiting to see what people say about it before I purchase - way to new and I believe it's going to go for about 140 - 175 something like that. What you have now doesn't control the Tunze/pumps it just turns them on/off to give the pulsing action.

cjgalante: It's called aquasurf and hits the street 9/10/2007 I'm wanting to get it as part of the group buy(If it ever happens).

chrismhaase: Looking good. As for the AC 3 that controls the Tunzes, I think I would go with the Tunze 7095 and wait for a year or so for all the "bugs" to get worked out. Plus, everyone always is looking for Tunze equipment so I don't think you will have an issue selling it.

ReefArtist: I'm leaning toward the Tunze controller that is part of the pump equipment. From what I understand the price for the ACIII controller is less but I also have a feeling it's not going to do as much. I've been burned before by purchasing something new on the market - lots of hype but no substance. I agree Laz and Chris - let others find all the problems.

Also, I'm not sure what all the hype is about really. Do you really mess with the pumps that much that you have to have the controller right there - I really don't know because I've never had one. I figured that once I get them setup (flow, location etc) the only thing I will be doing is turning them off for feeding time.

Now my question is - do I have to use the Tunze controller to turn off the pumps during feeding? The reason I'm asking is because I can feed from the front of the tank or the back. If I can only control the pumps with the controller I will have to have it so I can get to it from either side - that will be tough. I'll need to check if I can use X10 and the control? More research to be done here!

Last edited by ReefArtist; 09/03/2007 at 06:00 AM.
Old 09/03/2007, 05:57 AM
Underground Art Studio

Ok - things are getting closer -yeah!!!

Plumbing question - would it be OK if I located my pumps like in the drawing below? I purchased a 75g tank which is longer than my 40 so now I don't have enough room to place the pumps near the floor. So, I figured I'd just place them above the sump about 24 - 30 inches from the ground. This would give me room to work on them when needed and it would fit right where I need them. I know this wouldn't be as efficient -it will have to draw the water up into the pump. They are large pumps and I mainly have Horizontal space and not vertical, so head lost shouldn't be that much. So, what do you think?

NOTE - This will not work so don't try it .

====================================
mflamb - responded to this question and set me straight - "Carol, the Barracuda is a low speed pump, and will not self prime above water level, according to Reeflo."
Old 09/03/2007, 06:36 AM
Premium Member

Carol, with the ACIII you should be able to control it from your computer. That way the controller can be in the tank room and computer somewhere in the house. You will just have to set up the web based part of the controller.
Old 09/03/2007, 06:48 AM
Patient Reefer

Quote:
Originally posted by boydx6
Carol, with the ACIII you should be able to control it from your computer. That way the controller can be in the tank room and computer somewhere in the house. You will just have to set up the web based part of the controller.
That's what I'm going to do. I know you're plenty smart enough to make great use of that function. Are you getting Reef Notes with your AC3?
Old 09/03/2007, 07:02 AM
Underground Art Studio

Yep, that's the reason I'm going with the ACIII and not the Jr. All the web features are completely worth the extra bucks. Just think - being able to check on your tank when your two thousand miles away - priceless . I might also get the extra unit (1000) so I can have a pH/temp etc for my QT - all the tanks will then be accounted for and monitored.

Mike - definitely Reef notes and not the reef notes lite.
Old 09/03/2007, 07:15 AM
Patient Reefer

Just because I'm a QT freak, I don't even wires connecting the QT to the display...now is that wierd...like an AEFW can hike down a wire to my display!!!
Old 09/03/2007, 07:18 AM
Premium Member

I plan on mounting mine in my fishroom (dining room) LOL. Maybe we should all get together and figure out how to set up the web part of the controller.
Old 09/03/2007, 07:20 AM
Registered Member

A note on the AC III v the AC III pro: The Pro can handle a lot more devices and a lot more lines of code. I don't know if that is a huge factor for you but it is something to consider. With all the auxiiary tanks, and the devices for them, it may be worth a look at the Pro.
Old 09/03/2007, 07:24 AM
Underground Art Studio

That sounds like a great idea. Once I get it I'll start configuring it, once I get it configured and working I can write up a configuration sheet. Each person will have different problems - wireless, LAN, WAN etc but together we can work out all the network problems.

Mike - you're as bad as the government - you know those bits can jump the cable and infect the other network - if the cables are ran side by side - LOL!

Last edited by ReefArtist; 09/03/2007 at 07:30 AM.
Old 09/03/2007, 07:28 AM
Underground Art Studio

Hi Token, Yes I wrote up a spreadsheet showing the differences (http://www.reefdiversity.com/images/Controller/). After looking at it the ACIII is all I need, the pro isn't worth the extra $300. We are doing a group buy (club) and getting a great deal. No one is going with the Pro only the Jr and the III.
Old 09/03/2007, 09:32 AM
Registered Member

Group buy for the controller. Good idea.

(Red House for my 425 system)
Old 09/04/2007, 02:21 AM
Moved On

can't wait for the group buy.
Old 09/04/2007, 08:48 AM
Registered Member

nice picture of the horses
Old 09/04/2007, 09:31 AM
Underground Art Studio

Hi Eric - yes the group buy will save us a lot and with my build, that is a good thing!

lazaro torres - Welcome aboard, and yes it's going to be a great purchase and I really think everyone will be satisfied with the unit.

normanfine - Thank you and they are doing great. I just sit and watch them float around, they are fascinating creatures.

Tank update - This weekend we got the inside of the fish room sanded down. Now that was a mess! It's a little rough but I can work with it, a little textured paint will do the job.

My next step is putting a primer on the walls, I might fit it in this week of I'm lucky. I have a few obligations for other reefers I'm working on, so we'll see.

One thing I know I'll be starting this week is the electrical - Yeah!!!! I have a friend coming over tonight to help me get it all started. Remember the Kiln - well I have to put a 70 amp breaker in for it and run three 4 gauge wire over to it. Now that wire is expensive!!!! 30 ft/3 wires was well over a hundred bucks and then I had to purchase a breaker box for it (This is to ensure it is off and not rely on the controller) just extra safety. I had to get an extra breaker box for my main power panel also. I have room (it would be full) but we figured it would be best to have the fish off on it's own. This way when we add anything for the house we can add it in the main breaker panel.