Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/19/2007, 11:21 PM
POWERED by A200-1260

JOhn....your damn lucky to have all those!!!!

SF 49ERS!!! SF GIANTS!!!
Old 01/29/2007, 10:07 PM
Premium Member

My Interruptus played somewhat nice tonight and let me attempt a few top down shots...
Just thought I would share a couple.

How are all of your guys doing John?
Old 01/30/2007, 12:43 PM
Premium Member

Treg, Very nice, I love the lavendar look.
My little hybrids look so awesome top down but I can never get a good shot, they move a little to fast for me top down.
Old 01/30/2007, 01:10 PM

You guys are obsessed! But if you insist on this craziness, be very careful, it's can be really, really hard to get your head positioned properly in between the lights and the water. You can also get a painful burn on your hand if you aren't paying enough attention while attemping this. But that's only a theory -- since of course I have no personal experience with this

Seriously, thanks for the photos, Treg The color is amazing

So long, & thanks for all the fish!
Old 01/30/2007, 01:53 PM
angelfish nut!

Very nice Treg!

Quote:
Originally posted by Treg

How are all of your guys doing John?
Knock on wood, all seven continue to thrive! The colini are still with me and I don't know if the LFS will ever get them! I feel like I cheated... there is that period when you receive wild fish and the acclimation process begins... these guys got out of the bag and looked at me like "Hey, we just flew in from Hawaii and Delta didn't give us any food... let's eat!"

Anyway, I've added a group of longspine cardinals in with the resplendens/fisheri pair that has worked out well... I've always loved cardinals and the nice thing about this species (Apogon leptacanthus) is that they'll peacefully coexist for their whole life in a group, even during breeding. They hang together in a tight school and glow blue that is tough to bring out in a photo... Here they are...

My local buddy Robie Sayan had them in his old 90 gallon for years... check 'em out in this shot...

In the past I kept Apogon cyanosoma in a group, but when they matured and started breeding they tore eachother apart... it's amazing the difference in behavior even within one genus... Here's a shot of just a few from my old system...

Here's a shot I took of a wild group in Micronesia... seeking pseudorefuge in an anemone but staying far away enough from the tomato... Notice they are all juveniles... Scott Michael talks about these guys in his second volume in a separate section and their differences within the species in coloration...

These guys are Apogon parvulus I'm working on getting for the opposite 54 gallon... Many people think these cardinals look like freshwater fish, but I love to see natural schooling behavior able to be sustained in a captive setting...

Attention to detail!

Just say NO to detritus

What is recommended to the novice and what experienced reefers do are two different things.
Old 01/30/2007, 01:54 PM
angelfish nut!

Anyway, I'm preparing my 180 for the introduction of the interruptus... I'll have the chiller within a month. I'm pondering getting him a couple of wild females to play with, but we'll see... The only angels I have in the 180 now are my trio of regals which you could see in the below photo lined up in formation... The other angels I've moved to my large frag system awaiting a fish only I'm doing... The captive bred lemonpeel/ coral beauty pair will also go in there... Here's a couple shots of the 180... aken by my buddy who's a professional photographer, paid for with frags Some of the fish are hiding as we shut the pumps off, and the last one is an actinic shot... If I had to decide between fish and corals it would be tough!

Anyway, I'm heading back out to Hawaii this fall and hope to meet up with Frank again, and maybe Rich Pyle, which would be sweet!

Again it's great to be able to share these experiences with you guys and in return hear yours... what a great hobby (although it's more of a lifestyle )

Copps

Attention to detail!

Just say NO to detritus

What is recommended to the novice and what experienced reefers do are two different things.
Old 01/30/2007, 01:56 PM
angelfish nut!

Quote:
Originally posted by Angel*Fish
You guys are obsessed!
If I only had a nickel for every time my wife said that when my buddies came over!

Attention to detail!

Just say NO to detritus

Old 01/30/2007, 02:25 PM
Registered Member

Sweet top down pictures Treg.....beautiful fish.
Awesome pictures, corals & fish John.
Your posts are exciting to read John they are always full of great info
Old 01/30/2007, 03:17 PM
Premium Member

Thanks Everyone!

The 180 is looking fantastic John!
I love the Regal Trio. I never get tired of looking at those fish.

Those cardinals were hard to spot in Robie's tank.
Old 01/30/2007, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by copps
.. these guys got out of the bag and looked at me like "Hey, we just flew in from Hawaii and Delta didn't give us any food... let's eat!"

lol

John,

I have 4 of those leptacanthus - I really like them. The others were seriously ill and didn't make it. They pair off some, but lately the Cooper's anthias keeps them together most of the time. When they are in that little school, it's a thing of beauty.

My LFS had some parvulus, but they were already sold. If you know where I could get some I'd sure be interested - they do look like freshwater to me... But they also look like schooling fish, something near & dear to my heart.

Old 01/30/2007, 04:16 PM
Anti "So called Expert"

Copps,

Great full tank shots. Most of the praise you get is for the fish that you maintain but I must say that you have one of the nicest overall tanks (fish and SPS) on RC. It is almost Japanese tank like (very minimalistic and clean) and I can only hope to have a tank that looks as good as yours someday.
Old 01/30/2007, 04:41 PM
Hopelessly undecided

Have to agree those full-tank shots of the 180 are amazing.

One day I hope to have a tank as nice as that ... almost ten years into the hobby and I'm not there yet!!!
Old 01/30/2007, 05:05 PM
Premium Member

John:

If you can get your hands on the Apogon parvulus, let me know. I like the leptacanthus too, but they tend to not live long. I had 11 in the PSU tank down to 2-3 now in about 2 years.

sanjay.
Old 01/30/2007, 05:18 PM
2/08 HB first show

Quote:
Originally posted by copps
If I had to decide between fish and corals it would be tough!
Pffttt.. The corals of course and you could gift me a couple of those fish.

And I decided if I could keep any I would keep the D. arcuatus.
although of course I can't...

A person can solve a lot of problems by FIRST using a QT tank.. QT all new fish.
Old 01/30/2007, 06:47 PM
Hopelessly undecided

(Double post sorry)
Old 01/30/2007, 07:16 PM

No nipping??

Last edited by Angel*Fish; 01/30/2007 at 07:27 PM.
Old 01/30/2007, 07:42 PM
Premium Member

Those are pyramid butterflies - Hemitaurichthys polylepis , very reef safe open water feeders. I used to have 3 of them in my reef, they are shoaling fish so you can keep several together and they do well.

sanjay.
Old 01/30/2007, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sanjay
Those are pyramid butterflies - Hemitaurichthys polylepis , very reef safe open water feeders. I used to have 3 of them in my reef, they are shoaling fish so you can keep several together and they do well.

sanjay.
Thanks, I think I will be needing some of those.

I had seen the photo in S.Michael's Angels & Butterflies & wasn't impressed. But they are gorgeous! I've always wanted a butterfly, that's why I got my Singapore angel, which is probably less reef safe than the pyramids. Live and learn

And John your tank is lovely, btw.

Old 01/30/2007, 10:47 PM
angelfish nut!

Thanks guys... I'll respond more in depth later, as I'm wrestling my 18 month old... Here's a better shot of the pyramids... Thanks Sanjay!

John

Attention to detail!

Just say NO to detritus

Old 01/31/2007, 12:22 AM