Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Invert and Plant Forums > Tridacnid Clams and other Mollusks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03/28/2006, 07:23 PM
Registered Member

Arrow 1/3 of Right Mantle curling inward

Hello All,

On Saturday (March 25) I bought a 3.5� Crocea Clam. It was very healthy at the time I bought it. When I brought it home, I acclimated the clam to the tank very slowly. A few hours later the mantle opened. On Sunday the clam seemed very healthy. Once I came home on Monday a small part of the right mantle is curling inward toward the center of the clam. The left and the most of right of the mantle is perfectly fine and extending outward. The clam was on the rockwork at one point, but he flipped over so I placed the clam on the sand with a rock underneath it because I had thought maybe it was getting to much light. The clam still looks healthy, just the right side of the mantle is curling inward. Any help is appreciated.
Tank Size: 72 Gallon
Lighting: 150w X 2 Metal Halides

Calcium: 450
Alk: 9.8
Temp: 79.9
PH: 8.15
Salinity: 1.025
Phosphate: 0
Nitrate: 0
Nitrite: 0

Thanks.
Old 03/29/2006, 02:42 PM
Registered Member

I forgot to mention that the clam is not attached as of yet. Also, Is the mantle curling a major problem to the clam?
Old 03/29/2006, 09:56 PM
Registered Member

The clam also does not react when I touch or a shadow goes over it. Anybody know what I should do to help the clam?
Old 03/30/2006, 01:21 PM
Registered Member

Im not expert on clam but it's not looking good if your clam doesn't respond when being touched. I've read that people do fresh water dip for few minutes when their clams have pinched mantel, but the chance of recovery is 50/50. Good luck.
Old 03/30/2006, 03:02 PM
Registered Member

Does anybody else reccomend me doing this? If so, how?
Old 03/30/2006, 03:17 PM
Registered Member

It's not looking good, croceas are very responsive to shadows, what about the flow around the clam? shouldn't be too strong. PM mbbuna he knows a lot about clams.