Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes

Old 04/11/2006, 08:50 PM
Skeet, Skeet, Skeet

Is there a secret to finding these at Liveaquaria? I do not see them online right now.

Anybody else have them?

I didn't mean to take up all your sweet time
Give it right back to you....One of these days
Old 04/12/2006, 09:12 AM
angelfish nut!

Here is the Liveaquaria link for bimacs...

Females are in stock now... bookmark the link, as they usually take it down when they go out of stock as they do on certain fish...

As I've said before and will say again... these things are very hardy and adapt well...

Attention to detail!

Just say NO to detritus

What is recommended to the novice and what experienced reefers do are two different things.
Old 04/13/2006, 10:31 PM
Registered Member

I'm thinking of ordering 2 females from live aquria, how weel do these fish do with copper in a QT. I lost a healthy looking squareback anthias in my QT for no reason. All the other fish are doing good.
Old 04/13/2006, 10:33 PM
Registered Member

i woudl not use chemicals on a fish unless is a last resort.
Old 04/15/2006, 10:07 AM
B'rer Reefer

I added a small shoal of Bimacs (1m, 5f) to my tank last night after maintaining them for a few weeks in my fuge. This morning, so far, I've seen the male and 3 of the females. What surprised me was how unhappy my long established Bartletts seem to be about their new tankmates, harrassing and running them back behind the rockwork whenever they try to ease their way out front. Didn't know the Bartletts were this territorial. But, like many fish, I am hoping this wery rude welcoming will lessen in a few days and everyone will get along.

Anyone with experience mixing Bartletts and Bimacs that can corroborate? Or not. Thanks in advance.
Old 04/15/2006, 10:36 AM
Premium Member

I have both and in time I think the Bimacs will become more aggressive. My male is the king of all my species of anthias. He even puts the male squareblock in his place.
Old 04/19/2006, 02:01 AM
Registered Member

Does anybody have their bimacs with fairy wrasses? I'm looking to see if there is any sort of aggression either way. I just put a pair into my main tank but i'm about to set up a new tank and they will be housed with 6-7 fairy wrasses.
Old 04/19/2006, 12:58 PM
Premium Member

I have my bimacs with a Scotts Wrasse and I have never seen any aggression at all.
Old 04/30/2006, 10:05 PM
Registered Member

My LFS just happened to have a pair of Bimacs last week. The wholesaler sold them as "Anthias sp."
Now I have two males and three females. At first I thought the two males would fight because they were the same size but they get along just fine. Maybe it's because I have so many other antias and wrasse in the tank that he didn't know that these two were new? He sniffed the new guy out while it was in the critter carrier submerged in the tank. Looks pretty cool with five bimacs!!
-new tenants

-existing tenant

Last edited by t0mmy108; 04/30/2006 at 10:19 PM.
Old 05/03/2006, 04:47 AM
Premium Member

opinions please....

ONE Bimac male in a 65g with 30g sump, with other fish or 3 lyretails (one male and 2 females)
Old 05/03/2006, 10:26 AM
Registered Member

Great shots!
Old 05/14/2006, 07:18 PM
Premium Member

Sad Day, I lost this fish last night or this morning. Very healthy for about a year, this is the Female, the Male is still fine. Not sure why, I just hope it's not that I dont feed the tank enough. All other fish are fine. I've read all the stuff where you have to feed Anthias a few times per day. I never did that.
Old 05/14/2006, 08:23 PM
Registered Member

Hef, sorry for your lost, how manny bimacs do you have in yoru tank? I have noticed that the males are more aggresive towards female Bimacs when they try to court them, that is why i decided to add some more females to difuse aggresion, although it may have taken so long.
Old 05/14/2006, 09:22 PM
Premium Member

Only had the two, now just the male. Not sure what I will do. Might get a few smaller different breed of Anthias.
Old 05/17/2006, 08:15 PM
Registered Member

Hello All,

The Tank of the month has inspired me on how to finish my 120 reef. I want to add some color so I am looking to add some anthias. I currently have a pacific blue tang 4 blue green chromis and a pair of maroon clowns.I have read many of the posts and I have not seen anything that tells about what type of anthias to start with when adding different types, what order to put them in and how many do you add at a time? Can I get several species and a male to go with each of them or do I get one male for all.

Sorry for the silly questions but, I always try to look before I leap.

Dennis
Old 05/18/2006, 08:01 AM
Registered Member

Hey,
if you don't have any experience with anthias, then i would suggest you start with some lyretails. They are very hardy and feed very well with very little fuss.
Old 05/18/2006, 08:41 AM
Registered Member

Julio Thanks for the info, How many anthias do you thing I could keep in my 120? and If I were to ge more then on type do I get one male for all or one male per type.

Thank you

Dennis
Old 05/18/2006, 11:44 AM
Registered Member

Get 7 females and let them decide who will be the male.
Old 07/31/2007, 10:08 AM
Registered Member

*bump*

curious how you guys' bimacs are holding up over time. considering buying a 1 male/2 female trio to add to my lyretail trio.
Old 07/31/2007, 01:49 PM
TOTM 2010

wow, interesting thread from a while ago... I got two females to go with a male bartlett that was over aggressive. They tamed him the second they were introduced in the tank. I've had mine now for 4-5 months now. The one got pop-eye from a ph spike and healed in about 3 weeks. They eat flake and everything else I put in the tank. Highly recommend this fish....

Quote:
Originally posted by Benny Z
*bump*

curious how you guys' bimacs are holding up over time. considering buying a 1 male/2 female trio to add to my lyretail trio.
Old 09/06/2007, 12:26 PM
Registered Member

Here are the bimacs I pickup last weekend, 1 male & 2 females. All 3 are eating frozen mysis and brine shrimp.

Old 09/06/2007, 04:23 PM
Registered Member

they are a sweet fish, enjoy, best of luck!!!