Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby

Old 01/12/2008, 12:33 AM
Phyto tank master

Perfecto VS Miracle tank?

I can get a 110G 48x18x30 Perfecto for 333$ or a Miracle for 512$, brand new.

I know miracle is a nice Canadian compagny that use thicker glass, but a 54% difference for the same tank...

Any reason not to go with Perfecto?

1 pep. shrimp, 10 nas, 1 astrea , 1 cerrith snails

Some softys

PH 8.1, Alk 11, NH3/4, NO2, NO3 0, Temp 77-79F, SG 1.025
Old 01/12/2008, 12:44 AM
Registered Member

1 word cheap....

~Its not the size of the skimmer but the motion of the ocean~

><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·><((((º>
Old 01/12/2008, 01:47 AM
Phyto tank master

Cheap? how can an aquarium be cheap, Glass is glass, neither are Low iron, one is thicker, but both could last as long.

I don't see the reason to pay 54% more to get a slightly safer tank that will weight more.

1 pep. shrimp, 10 nas, 1 astrea , 1 cerrith snails

Some softys

PH 8.1, Alk 11, NH3/4, NO2, NO3 0, Temp 77-79F, SG 1.025
Old 01/12/2008, 01:58 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Icefire
Cheap? how can an aquarium be cheap, Glass is glass, neither are Low iron, one is thicker, but both could last as long.

I don't see the reason to pay 54% more to get a slightly safer tank that will weight more.
I think he meant cheaply made, IE lower quality glass,Weaker Seams Etc. Personally If you can afford the better quality tank i would get it, here is why.

Say for example you buy the cheaper tank, Spend Hundreds on Equipment maybe even thousands, And then Hundreds or thousands on livestock Tank looks great fish are happy then BOOM one day you leave for work and come home and the seams have blown out all your water is on the floor and all your fish are dead, and your Equipment is ruined, and it all could have been prevented if you had spend a couple hundred bucks more on a quality tank! As My Grandma Always Said it is better to Error on the side of caution AND Better Safe than sorry! Me for example my choice was in Stands, i could have Bought a wafer board stand from Wal Mart Cheap Instead i Chose to spend the time building my own stand what i ended up with is a stand that will hold around 5000lbs Compared to a Prefab that has a max Weight of 550lbs OVERKILL is a good thing!

Freedom Must occasionally be renewed with the blood of patriots-General Patton
Old 01/12/2008, 02:07 AM
hobbyist

I have had only good luck with my Perfecto tanks. My current 120 has been set up for close to 7 years. I previously had a 58 gallon which I kept as both fresh then salt for several years. I see no reason to spend the additional money, but that's just my cheap self talking.