Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby

Old 01/11/2008, 07:04 PM
Registered Member

Help me Decide

Ok all My budgets is as always VERY TIGHT so i have a choice to make, sometime next week i will have the money for hardware, here is the choice do i

A) Buy my lights,Skimmer,Return pump,Bulkhead fittings(for the sump under the tank), and Overflow.

OR

B)Buy the Lights,Skimmer and my 2 Hydor Koralia 3 Circulation Pumps.

If i go with A it will take longer to get the tank up and running BUT it will have a sump and Fuge When its up.

If i go with B all i have to get is Sand and Salt and i can get the tank up and running.

I know to Expect some criticisms for this but i am getting most of my hardware from Aqua traders.com But to be honest if i want this tank up and running in less that 1year i have to buy cheap. and i SOOOOOOOOOOOOO want my 55g up and running!

I look forward to everyones input. If i do set up the sump it will look like this pic.

My Sump Idea

Freedom Must occasionally be renewed with the blood of patriots-General Patton

Last edited by Vinnie71975; 01/11/2008 at 07:19 PM.
Old 01/11/2008, 07:12 PM
Registered Member

Here is a list of the hardware i am thinking about, i used links so that you get more than just a product name.

https://www.aquatraders.com/index.as...ROD&ProdID=313

https://www.aquatraders.com/index.as...PROD&ProdID=78

https://www.aquatraders.com/index.as...ROD&ProdID=319

https://www.aquatraders.com/index.as...ROD&ProdID=265

Old 01/11/2008, 07:27 PM
Premium Member

Vinnie, check out the sellers forum here on RC and your local craigslist. You'll be able to reduce your spending exponentially. I don't see why you wouldn't be able to get A and B.
Old 01/11/2008, 07:37 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by NYIntensity
Vinnie, check out the sellers forum here on RC and your local craigslist. You'll be able to reduce your spending exponentially. I don't see why you wouldn't be able to get A and B.
Well i will only have 250 to spend.

Old 01/11/2008, 07:40 PM
Premium Member

Is your tank glass? (I'm assuming so). Nonetheless, check the craigslist listings and sellers forums. Your sump and refuge don't need to be anything extravagant; rubbermaid is for more than food and junk storage.
Old 01/11/2008, 07:50 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Is your tank glass? (I'm assuming so). Nonetheless, check the craigslist listings and sellers forums. Your sump and refuge don't need to be anything extravagant; rubber maid is for more than food and junk storage.
The 18g part is rubber maid lol and the 10g part is a old 10g tank i had laying around! I have issues with trusting sites like craglist because it puts way to much on the "honor system" You send them your money and HOPE they send you the product, I have no problem buying used from local reefers where i can meet them face to face and Pay for the product as its given to me but i have a problem trusting people to ship me something that i just mailed them a money order for or payed them by pay pal, see they have the money who says they will even ship the product. Yes i know i have trust issues but i have been burned by Ebay a few times!Oh and yes its an all glass used 55g its the Old Style VERY heavy, thick glass 3/4 inch glass i do believe.

Old 01/11/2008, 07:52 PM
Premium Member

use the local craigslist; (e.g. columbus.craigslist.org) You can still meet and pick up in person.
Old 01/11/2008, 08:06 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
use the local craigslist; (e.g. columbus.craigslist.org) You can still meet and pick up in person.
I would but then comes another problem No Car! So im again Stuck, Basically i just want to know if i should go route A or Route B.

Old 01/11/2008, 09:49 PM
Registered Member

I, like you, am very impatient when it comes to my tank which is probably not the best thing for both of us...But is there a way to go with plan B and then upgrade to having the sump and fuge later? Forgive me if I'm wrong, I'm new at this.
John 15:13 Greater love has no one than this, that someone lays down his life friends.
Old 01/11/2008, 11:25 PM
Team RC Member

Look at the Used Equipment forum here on RC.

"Make haste slowly." ---Augustus.

"If anything CAN go wrong, it will, and at the worst possible moment."---St. Murphy.
Old 01/11/2008, 11:35 PM
Registered Member

well let's say you go with plan A. u still need more powerheads for more flow, i dont think the return pump is enough flow

but anyways GL with which ever plan u choose

yea like Finding Emo said u can always add the sump/ fuge later since your using an overflow box, which is what im doing with my 20L, i going to turn my 10G tank into a sump/fuge, ill have it running as soon as my stuff from marine depot arrives
Old 01/11/2008, 11:40 PM
Delaware Reef Club

Vinnie-

Listen, I may get some opposition here but I have to say, I have those T6 lights from aquatraders. They are crap. I 100% wish I would have just gotten the PC's. Aquatraders does have some great pricing, but those T6's aren't the way to go. They are T6 bulbs, not the same as T5. They are not nearly as intense. Go with A, go with B, but look at regular Power compacts.

My .02

Joe
Old 01/12/2008, 01:14 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jocephus
Vinnie-

Listen, I may get some opposition here but I have to say, I have those T6 lights from aquatraders. They are crap. I 100% wish I would have just gotten the PC's. Aquatraders does have some great pricing, but those T6's aren't the way to go. They are T6 bulbs, not the same as T5. They are not nearly as intense. Go with A, go with B, but look at regular Power compacts.

My .02

Joe
Anyone else have any bad or good to say about the T6 lighting?Input is appricated!

Old 01/12/2008, 01:15 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Sk8r
Look at the Used Equipment forum here on RC.
I did and its all still WAY more than i can afford!

Old 01/12/2008, 01:18 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jocephus
Vinnie-

My .02

Joe
So you would recommend something like this?

https://www.aquatraders.com/index.as...ROD&ProdID=293