Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > NorthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > North Central Pennsylvania Aquarium Reef Society (NCPARS)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05/17/2006, 08:56 AM
Registered Member

Live Rock in State College?

Well this is my first post, I'm making the jump from freshwater to saltwater with a 65 gallon tank. However the only place that sells live rock around here is wildside at $6.99 per pound. This cost is prohibitive to me getting the tank up and running. Are there any good place where I could get it cheaper? I'd be willing to drive to Altoona or Harrisburg.

Thanks

Travis
Old 05/17/2006, 10:44 AM
Registered Member

hi bookpile...there are a couple places in williamsport that sell it...but are you looking for cured LR?
Old 05/17/2006, 11:03 AM
Registered Member

I could go either way on the cured or not. I would prefer cured but I guess if I found a good deal on uncured I would just have to let the tank cycle a little longer.

Is there a place in williamsport that you'd recommend?

Thanks
Old 05/17/2006, 11:09 AM
Reef Education 4 Schools

I got them and you can call me at 570 337 9069
Old 05/17/2006, 11:20 AM
NCPARS Founding Member

If you have the patience for curing but you want to get started ASAP you could go the mail order route. It's by far the cheapest retail way of getting LR..especially if you live near a major airport.

The absolute cheapest is to wait for somebody getting out of the hobby or going smaller..but that can take months.

--Fizz
Old 05/17/2006, 08:57 PM
Premium Member

Hi bookpile, welcome to the hobby and State College. When I set up my tank 2 1/2 years ago, I had the same reaction. I've bought LR from Wildside only when I've needed just 1 or 2 pieces. I bought mail order from Premium Aquatics, it's 1/2 the price, and the rock is much nicer (much more interesting) than wildside too. It was shipped 2nd day air so I don't think the shipping was too much (although I was buying 75 pounds so it still wasn't cheap). It will still need to cycle for at least a couple of weeks before adding fish even if you buy cured.

That Fish Place in Lancaster also has LR, but I think I've been there when they're out of stock. That's about the closest really big fish store that I've found.
Old 05/17/2006, 09:48 PM
Registered Member

Hi Barney121,

Thanks a lot for the info. I was looking at the live rock on Premium Aquatics. Do you remember if you bought cured or uncured? I would like to go with the uncured but wondered how your experiance was.

I had also been looking at liveaquaria.com but I read some bad reviews on this site about their LR.

Thanks

Travis
Old 05/17/2006, 09:50 PM
Registered Member

bookpile...go with zooqi, he won't steer you wrong!
Old 05/18/2006, 01:08 AM
SPS Captial of PA

Welcome to NCPARS country! My name is Rick and I think I have found your LR. It is in Pittsburgh about the same distance from you to Harrisburg so no biggie. If you need company along the trip let me know because I know the Burgh pretty well. Here is the link and the Rock is reasonably priced. Not only that you can buy his fish and corals and set up same day. I am willing to help you with that as well. Here is the link.

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...hreadid=839403

Thanks,

Rick

Rick

Absorbing information through OSMOSIS.

President of NCPARS
Old 05/18/2006, 05:20 AM
Registered Member

Wow Thanks for the heads up Rick. That is a great deal. I'm just trying to work on the timing as I am moving on June 12th and I was going to wait until then to order the new tank. But I just might have to speed up the process now.

And I did have a good conversation with zooqi. I'm just exploring my options. Thanks to everyone for being so helpful.
Old 05/18/2006, 05:03 PM
SPS Captial of PA

No problem! Thats why we all get together here!

thanks,

Rick

Rick

President of NCPARS
Old 05/18/2006, 09:09 PM
Premium Member

Hi Travis. I bought cured Fiji I believe. But even though it was "cured" it needed to cycle a bit before ready for livestock. But I didn't get any stink or mess like some people talk about with doing curing from scratch. I don't remember the uncured being that much cheaper.

I also had really good experience with PA in terms of customer service on the rock. More of the rock broke up during shipment than I expected, so out of 75 pounds I had maybe 5 pounds of just little bits too small to use. I decided to order another 20 pounds or so, and told them about the rubble when I ordered and they threw in a few extra pounds at no charge, as well as giving me the price for 50+ pounds since I was ordering again. They also asked what size pieces I wanted so I could get what would work in my tank. And I was no one special, and wasn't trying to work a deal, it seems this was just how they dealt with people.

Scott
Old 05/18/2006, 10:04 PM
Premium Member

I am leaning towards tearing down a 45G tank that I have, and I can sell that rock, if you are interested. I might even have a few corals if you are interested.

sanjay.
Old 05/19/2006, 07:01 AM
Registered Member

That's too bad Sanjay, I already told archaeoreefer from Pittsburgh that I'd take his. Yours would have been a lot closer and more convineant though. How much do you have and how much were you looking to get for it?
Old 05/19/2006, 07:31 AM
Premium Member

No problem.. it just means I will hold on to that tank for some more time ;-)

I do not know how much I have.. its just a tank where I have been dumping stuff and growing out the clownfish. Should be enough for a 60G tank.

sanjay.
Old 05/19/2006, 08:16 AM
Registered Member

I found a pretty good deal for some live rock in The Paper Shop. 70 pounds cured for $100. I believe it was in factoryville. If anyone is interested let me know and I will look at the ad again when I am at work tonight and get the number to call. Should have just done that today. doh!!
Old 05/21/2006, 09:38 PM
Registered Member

I could use about 60 lbs or so

I could use about 60 lbs of live rock. I'll take yours, Sanjay, or that stuff in Factoryville. Contact me at chemtchr@yahoo.com and we can make arrangements. I can pick up this weekend (Friday through Monday).
Old 05/22/2006, 02:20 AM
SPS Captial of PA

I have finished cleaning and setting up the tanks in my fishroom. I still have lots of base rock(no or little coraline) and lots of LR premium grade that is left, lots of medium to larger pieces. I have decided not to keep it because it takes up too much space in my frag tank. LMK who is interested

thanks

Rick

Rick

President of NCPARS
Old 05/22/2006, 05:05 AM
Registered Member

Once again too bad I already took the rock in Pittsburgh, Altoona would have been half the distance. Oh well.
Old 05/23/2006, 01:18 AM
SPS Captial of PA

Glad to hear you picked up that rock, how was the drive? I like making lots of LFS stops along the way, so anytime anyone is heading in that direction I know where the good LFS are in the Burgh.

thanks,

Rick

Rick

President of NCPARS
Old 06/02/2006, 06:48 AM
Registered Member

Hi Rick,

We finally picked up the live rock on Saturday. It was a pretty good trip. We didn't offer to take anyone along because we also did a bunch of wedding planning stuff with our friends who are getting married down there next month. I did convince everyone to stop at Elmer's though! Right now I have the live rock in a cooler with a powerhead and light on it, waiting for the new tank to be setup.

It was a great deal and well worth the trip!

Travis