Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Lounge
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/05/2006, 12:01 PM
667 (Evil and then some)

X-Men 3 - (SPOILER DISCUSSION)

Greetings all,

I went to see it Saturday night, I'd give it a 4 out of 5. It was good, but I was disappointed on a number of details....

1 - I think they went for too much action and not enough story in this one. There were several new mutants and groups of mutants that could have been nicely developed with a couple of 10 or 15 minute scenes. They didn't give Beast nearly enough character development time and they didn't give much of any time to Magneto's recruitment of people.

2 - On the action scenes, most of it was good but the last battle scene reaked of a battle from the original Star Trek series. All this great power and capability, but we're only going to use it in a very limited manner so they get a real campy ending.

2a - The guns are plastic...so what!!! There's tons of rivets and bolts and metal debris laying around, Magneto could have run a metal storm in the same way he did when breaking out of prison in X-2.

2b - The military isn't going to try relocating the kid??? They're only going to defend him with 1 platoon and have reserves 30 minutes out??? They're ONLY going to use the darts and not have non-metal explosive charges set out? They're not going to have some sort of sniper with a dart rifle knocking out the level 4 mutants?

2c - What's with all this solo action going on with the mutants? You send Pyro after Ice man one on one? You only send 1 class 3 mutant to take out Storm??? Magneto could take taken out both Storm AND Ice in the wink of an eye with a metal projectile just like the guards at the prison.

3 - Magneto has always been protrayed as the master chess player and even used the pawn analogy. The only real chess move he made in this movie was goating Gene into killing Charles for him (I thought that was a really good plot twist.) The rest of his moves weren't well developed in the story telling or were totally out of character for his planning skills.

This is most highlighted in the battle scene....He's going for the ultimate prize, he has a company sized element of mutants, and he doesn't really know the full extent of defenses or of the boy's powers yet he sends Juggernaught in by himself.
Old 06/05/2006, 12:34 PM
Registered Member

To me it would have made sense sending in Juggernaut by himself IF the would have followed the comic and kept Juggernaut as a nonmutant. Instead they made his powers mutant powers and not what they are, magics recieved by the gauntlets he wears. And as such the boy nullified his power and he knocked himself out cold... that was a disapointment.
Click the red house for our clubs website!

I do not scare easily however I will not be be back, nor with greater numbers.
Old 06/05/2006, 12:43 PM
667 (Evil and then some)

Quote:
Originally posted by garvin90
To me it would have made sense sending in Juggernaut by himself IF the would have followed the comic and kept Juggernaut as a nonmutant. Instead they made his powers mutant powers and not what they are, magics recieved by the gauntlets he wears. And as such the boy nullified his power and he knocked himself out cold... that was a disapointment.
I was a fan of the cartoon, but never read the comics. That's an interesting observation and would have been a really cool plot twist.

On the subject of that scene, I thought the girl using her powers to drag him into the floor was REALLY cool. I also liked where she took Wolverine through a wall and he was like "Let's not do that again...ok?"

On a more positive note, I expected angel to be a disappointment but I really liked his character. He wasn't everything that archangle was, but he was a similar persona.
Old 06/05/2006, 02:42 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Muttling

On a more positive note, I expected angel to be a disappointment but I really liked his character. He wasn't everything that archangle was, but he was a similar persona.
Actually, Angel becomes Archangel after being tinkered with by a villain, but you'd have to read the comics to know that. Dunno if they will explain it that way in any future movies, if at all.
Old 06/05/2006, 03:00 PM
Registered Member

Garvin, does juggy need the gaunlets for his powers? I think the crystal of whatever gave him the powers permanently regardless of the gauntlets.
Great movie but bad ending. Didn't utilize phoenix and her powers at all. When Jean became dark phoenix she got HOT in the books not all ugly and nasty,lol. The way they killed off cyclops was ridiculous, could they have put less thought into that????
Did anyone else watch the credits?? the second time i went to see the actual ending( i left before it the 1st time) the credits have psylocke and jubilee listed. Where the H were they?? did i miss them? dont remember then, were they edited out?
Old 06/05/2006, 03:31 PM
In the undertow

I was really disappointed, but I guess my expectations were just too high after the first two. There was some really bad supporting acting, too many loose ends, and even sub-par dialogue in parts. I'd give it 2 out of 5.

After I saw it, I read several different critical reviews and learned that the director of the first two movies (Bryan Singer) bailed on the third to direct the new Superman movie. In his place, they hired Ratner, who apparently has a history of directing bad third movies, including Red Dragon (Silence of the Lambs) and another bomb whose title escapes me at the moment. He is a brainless-action director, with movies like Shanghai Noon under his belt. It really ticks me off that the producers brought in a director with a lousy track record, who only knows action and not story, rather than finding a way to accommodate Singer. After the success of the first two, you'd think they'd make sure they got #3 right, for the sake of the thousands of fans with a vested interest in it. Instead, it was more important that they got the movie out now, and got their money now.
Old 06/05/2006, 03:37 PM
RIP-You'll be remembered

Movie was sweet.

Colossus hauls.

Can't wait for the 4th.
Old 06/05/2006, 03:50 PM
Moderator Clone

Quote:
Originally posted by sufunk

Did anyone else watch the credits?? the second time i went to see the actual ending( i left before it the 1st time) the credits have psylocke and jubilee listed.
Now here's a spoiler - if you didn't stay until after the credits, you should have.

Kevin
Old 06/05/2006, 03:55 PM
Registered Member

Ocicat is 100000000% correct. Singer bailing killed this movies potential and made it inferior to the 1st 2. Singer is a comic book guy and did an amazing job. I hate superman and every movie, except maybe #2, but the previews looked AWESOME. No coincidence that singer is the director of that. I hate dc and their characters as opposed to marvel but i bet superman is better than x-3.
Old 06/05/2006, 04:02 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sufunk

Did anyone else watch the credits?? the second time i went to see the actual ending( i left before it the 1st time) the credits have psylocke and jubilee listed. Where the H were they?? did i miss them? dont remember then, were they edited out?
I saw their names too. Jubilee was probably one of the students again, like in the first two movies. As for Psylocke, I have a sneaking suspicion that she was the Asian chick with the purple streak helping out Magneto in the lab...they made Multiple Man a bad guy, so they probably did her the same way.
Old 06/05/2006, 04:17 PM
Registered Member

Thats what i figured with Jubilee but there were a ton of nameless mutants so why did she get a credit? I got a feeling she had a scene that will be on the dvd but was cut.
I gotta check out Psylocke when i go for 3rd time,lol. You may be right, i vaguely remember a cute evil mutant,lol
p.s.- why exactly did rogue go back to a school for mutants if she got the cure?? Drake should have told her to take a hike, Kitty's hotter and younger anyway.lmao
Old 06/05/2006, 04:32 PM
667 (Evil and then some)

Quote:
Originally posted by Anemone
Now here's a spoiler - if you didn't stay until after the credits, you should have.

Kevin

I got a question for you on that scene....

Was is JUST Charles in the patient's body

-OR-

Had Gene taken over the Nurse's body as well????

The scene snapped quickly. My wife thought it was just Charles, but I came out of there thinking it was the two of them instead of the one of them.
Old 06/05/2006, 05:25 PM
Moderator Clone

Quote:
Originally posted by Muttling

Had Gene taken over the Nurse's body as well????
I don't think Jean had taken over the "nurse's" body. If you remember the original presentation, Charles said the video and info was provided by his colleague, Dr. "something-or-other." The "nurse" was that Dr. (and hence the reason she recognized Charles immediately). At least, that's what I figured.

Kevin
Old 06/05/2006, 05:35 PM
Registered Member

I agree with anemone and shes dr. moira mctaggert. Also, why would Jean transfer her mind? she still wouldnt be able to control the phoenix power in the new body. She wanted to die and be free, Charles wanted to live and knew he would which is why he smiled to wolverine and Jean right before he "died".
Old 06/05/2006, 06:17 PM
667 (Evil and then some)

You guys are probably right and my wife is ALWAYS right. (Don't believe me.....just ask her.)
Old 06/06/2006, 01:15 AM
Premium Member

I've heard nothing but bad things about the new X-men...

will not go to the theatre to see it

Too bad, I was a fan of the first two.

They say the movie felt like litle effort was made to make it good. Insead, just a movie for the sake of ending a trilogy. I hate that.

Remember Matrix anyone?

I didn't even see the 3rd one because the 2nd sucked so bad.
Old 06/06/2006, 02:43 AM
Moved On

I haven't see it. I will see it next week.
Old 06/06/2006, 03:16 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by KooDeep
As for Psylocke, I have a sneaking suspicion that she was the Asian chick with the purple streak helping out Magneto in the lab...they made Multiple Man a bad guy, so they probably did her the same way.
Are you refering to the girl accompanying the spikey guy or the one beating on storm? Storm's assailant was Calisto, who actually is sposedly a morlock.

Speaking of spikey guys, did anyone catch on to who was throwing spikes at wolverine in the forest? Another nonbadguy turned bad in the movie.

As far as Angel/Archangel, I seriously doubt they want to go through the Apocolypse saga though they did try to do a fast summation of "The Phoenix" saga with the trilogy.

Personally Im still mad they did not include Gambit as a X-Man in this movie but they did make some headway by actually having Iceman go completely subzero.

Where was toad and sabretooth Im wondering and if they were going to introduce new mutants for the badguys, what about Havoc or Blob?

Im also wondering if A: Magneto's power was to great to be nullified completely or B: since there was no long term testing on "the cure", is his power slowly returning to him and everyone else?

Old 06/06/2006, 09:08 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Are you refering to the girl accompanying the spikey guy or the one beating on storm? Storm's assailant was Calisto, who actually is sposedly a morlock.
There were two girls with the spikey guy, Arclight (the thunderclapper) and the Asian with a purple streak/highlight in her hair. I think that was Psylocke even though her "powers" weren't right.

Quote:
Where was toad and sabretooth Im wondering and if they were going to introduce new mutants for the badguys, what about Havoc or Blob?
I thought they killed off Toad and Sabretooth in the first movie?
Old 06/06/2006, 09:15 AM
Premium Member

All in all I thought it was a very good movie and I was happy with. Hopefull the DVD will have more detail on it.
Old 06/06/2006, 11:31 AM
Registered Member

Wasn't toad climbing the wall in the meeting hall where mag's and pyro were trying to raise their army??
It looked like him but that was the last of him.
Old 06/06/2006, 11:46 AM
Moderator Clone

Quote:
Im also wondering if A: Magneto's power was to great to be nullified completely or B: since there was no long term testing on "the cure", is his power slowly returning to him and everyone else?
Yep, I had the same thought. IOW, will it be only magneto to recover, or will rogue and mystique?

Kevin
Old 06/06/2006, 12:04 PM
667 (Evil and then some)

Quote:
Originally posted by Anemone
Yep, I had the same thought. IOW, will it be only magneto to recover, or will rogue and mystique?

Kevin
Mystique recovering would be an interesting one since Magneto jilted her.
Old 06/06/2006, 04:21 PM
Registered Member

There is still debate over whether or not Rogue took the cure actually. All we saw was iceman hold her hand for only a brief second. It could go either way but if she had taken the cure Im not sure how they want to pan out her involvement with Ms Marvel and permanently stealing her powers.

Since the sentinels did not have a long run regardless of comic or cartoon series( the general public had felt them to cruel and destructive for mutants) that their deployment might be a storyline for the next series of films to focus on.

Old 06/06/2006, 05:10 PM
667 (Evil and then some)

Quote:
There is still debate over whether or not Rogue took the cure actually. All we saw was iceman hold her hand for only a brief second. It could go either way but if she had taken the cure Im not sure how they want to pan out her involvement with Ms Marvel and permanently stealing her powers.

No debate in my mind. Iceman told her "I didn't want it this way" and Rouge said "But I did" then they touched. Seemed pretty obvious to me......she took the cure. Iceman is going to be in for a rude awakening when it wears off.

I don't think they'll do the Ms. Marvel thing. As I recall, it was Mystique who had taken Rouge in as a child and talked her into permanently stealing Ms. Marvel's powers before she joined the X-Men. That's a story line that they have completely abandonned in the movies.