Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Lounge
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05/11/2006, 03:54 AM
my member is registered.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by tkeracer619
PS3 Owns. The specs, the games. The price will come down when blue ray prices drop. The games will dominate and the PS3 will be the 3rd sony game system to be number 1.

Hey a lot of the xbox360 owners payed 600 or more for there glorified laptop pc in a console case. Shared Memory

I own a psp and the last thing it does is collects dust. You probably just bought it for the gadget status and not the portable gaming. Ever play with multiple people in liberty city stories? have a gig memory stick for movies? This thing is like carpet you can watch outside. Other portable only dream they could have been this cool.
[/QUOTE

This statement holds no bearing because the PS3 isnt even OUT YET . Its like saying MGS4 is the best game ever!. How would you know? its not even released yet and that means you havent played it yet.
Old 05/11/2006, 06:49 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Ploppers
you could add

Xbox, online community
I did, my post before the one you quoted.

My other computer is your MAC.
Old 05/11/2006, 07:08 AM
intergalatic hitchhiker

Quote:
Originally posted by tkeracer619
PS3 Owns. The specs, the games. The price will come down when blue ray prices drop. The games will dominate and the PS3 will be the 3rd sony game system to be number 1.

Hey a lot of the xbox360 owners payed 600 or more for there glorified laptop pc in a console case. Shared Memory

I own a psp and the last thing it does is collects dust. You probably just bought it for the gadget status and not the portable gaming. Ever play with multiple people in liberty city stories? have a gig memory stick for movies? This thing is like carpet you can watch outside. Other portable only dream they could have been this cool.
heh, nice prediction for the PS3, but given the reaction to the price, and the fact that the system wont do/have all the bells and whistles they said it would, and the fact it isnt even out yet, you're a bit off the mark I'm afraid. Overall PS3 reviews from sources I've perused have been disappointing- IGN.com even gave a less than stellar review.

the $600 price tag was for system bundle packs, nothing more- Prices havent come down for the 360- the system with HDD, is still $400...given that its estimated Sony is already losing about $300 on each PS3 console, dont hold your breath about a price drop anytime soon - heck BluRay DVD Players arent even out yet, and the cheapest one advertised so far is $1000. Remember, it was several YEARS before the price of the PSII dropped(same with X-Box)

BTW, the $500 PS3 model is missing quite a few options - no WiFi, no HDMI outputs, no memorycar/cf/flashcard ports...and it wont be able to display full 1080p video - so essentially its a different machine compared to the $600 model...

I, personally, have never wished to be a hot dog
Old 05/11/2006, 07:57 AM
Eternally Discombobulated

I think the ironic part in all of this is that despite the fact that the PS3 may or may not do well (probably won't in the first year and possibly well into the second year), Sony still controls roughly 2/3rds of the current global console market. On top of that, most companies take huge losses on the consoles. I don't know what kind of hit Sony will actually take, but "losses at Microsoft's home and entertainment division widened to $388 million in its fiscal third quarter from a $175 million loss a year ago." Obviously Microsoft/Gates has a ton of money, but how long can a company sustain those kinds losses before they decide to get out of the market?

http://www.cnn.com/2006/TECH/fun.gam...eut/index.html

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 05/11/2006, 08:31 AM
Premium Member

The more I see and hear about MGS4 the more I want a PS3. Must play now!!!
Old 05/11/2006, 08:38 AM
intergalatic hitchhiker

Quote:
Originally posted by Brandino007
Am I the only one here rooting for the Wii?

I will be buying the Wii THIS YEAR and will wait till next summer to buy the PS3.

BTW
Wii news tomarrow.
the Wii is slated for a $250 price tag...still a bit much for an impulce buy, but not bad...

Old 05/11/2006, 08:42 AM
intergalatic hitchhiker

Quote:
Originally posted by Ace
The more I see and hear about MGS4 the more I want a PS3. Must play now!!!
Paul, they havent even presented a playable demo yet- they just keep replaying the same old tailer for it...damn you're an easy sell-

Old 05/11/2006, 08:45 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by budhaboy
Paul, they havent even presented a playable demo yet- they just keep replaying the same old tailer for it...damn you're an easy sell-
They're are reviews of hands on on 1.UP I believe. They said the only thing that comes close to the beauty of MGS4 is Gears.
Old 05/11/2006, 08:48 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
the Wii is slated for a $250 price tag...still a bit much for an impulce buy, but not bad...
Technically the price for the wii hasn't been released yet. It is also inline with the original price of the gamecube I believe. Maybe the gamecube was 199. i can't remember, but I do remember buying it on launch day. They also haven't set an official release date.
Old 05/11/2006, 08:51 AM
Premium Member

OK, budha, you're right. I misread the article. They're still talking the trailer but Kojima doesn't usually disappoint so I'm gonna go on record that I think the game will be worth the price of admission.
Old 05/11/2006, 08:57 AM
intergalatic hitchhiker

Quote:
Originally posted by Ace
They're are reviews of hands on on 1.UP I believe. They said the only thing that comes close to the beauty of MGS4 is Gears.
sorry, no, its just a review on a second TRAILER(I went to 1up, IGN, and Gamespy to doublecheck-)

plus its not a release date game- best case scenario will be fall of 2007(it originally was slated for 2008)

Old 05/11/2006, 09:04 AM
intergalatic hitchhiker

Quote:
Originally posted by rutledgek
Technically the price for the wii hasn't been released yet. It is also inline with the original price of the gamecube I believe. Maybe the gamecube was 199. i can't remember, but I do remember buying it on launch day. They also haven't set an official release date.
Quote:
This article was taken down last night at the request of EGM?fs writing staff, but now that the Nintendo conference is over and spoken for, we?fre throwing it back up here. For those of you that saw it last night and watched the keynote, take special note of how many of the facts turned out to be true.

Reliable NeoGAF poster koam has apparently grabbed ahold of the latest EGM, which spills the beans on some great Wii details - but this IS the Internet, so as usual, please take the news with a gigantic grain of salt. You know the drill by now. The general recap of the information said, however is:

- $249 Price tag
- Virtual Console (we knew this)
- 3d Controller (we knew this)
- ALWAYS online (console is always online, even when OFF)
- Built in speaker on the controller
- No improved graphics on Virtual Console (as in, they aren?ft redoing the models, doesn?ft talk about framerates and such).
- TG16 will have it?fs 1st party games out at launch, 3rd party will come later as demand increases.
- Estimated prices for the VC are ?ga few dollars for NES, $5 for SNES and $10 for N64??
- VC games are pro-scan enabled.
- $250 ?gseems appropriate?h
- More 3rd party exclusives than the Cube

Zelda information:

- Zelda is 80% complete, delay was for graphic tweaks, wii functions and because they want the game to be measured on a scale of 1 to 120 instead of 1 to 100.
- NO SWINGING THE CONTROLLER for the sword, you just press a button. There are some cases where you will swing though. Reason = you?fll get tired too fast
- Controller does sound effects
- Widescreen on the REV only!
- Navi is only when you play on the REV.
- Something with online is planned but no battle mode.
- More dungeons than OOT already
- More items too

EGM Thread on the NeoGAF
from http://www.4colorrebellion.com/archi...s-new-details/

Old 05/11/2006, 09:29 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Am I the only one here rooting for the Wii?

I will be buying the Wii THIS YEAR and will wait till next summer to buy the PS3.

BTW
Wii news tomarrow.
After seeing what they have to offer I'm liking the nintendo more and more.
Old 05/11/2006, 09:31 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by thrlride
I did, my post before the one you quoted.
doh
Old 05/11/2006, 03:05 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
[B]- NO SWINGING THE CONTROLLER for the sword, you just press a button. There are some cases where you will swing though. Reason = you?fll get tired too fast
Yeah right, do you know what these kids to in their spare time.

My other computer is your MAC.
Old 05/11/2006, 05:54 PM
Registered Member

Let me say this:
Nintendo has not said anything about launch date or price.
I have watched the entire Nintendo Press Conf and they said nothing of the sort.

And after 2007 I see it this way:
1. PS3
2. Wii
3. 360
Old 05/11/2006, 06:03 PM
Keena R.I.P

"Starting with the home hardware, Gikas and Wissink released their sales projections for each system over the next three years. Through 2008, Gikas and Wissink expect Microsoft to sell 19.6 million Xbox 360 units, with the PlayStation 3 and Revolution trailing at 15.5 million and 5 million units, respectively"

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/09...s_6134710.html
Old 05/11/2006, 06:32 PM
RIP-You'll be remembered

IMO I just don't see PS3 doing very very well. Atleast not better than 360. They may have their hot times, but I think at the end of it all, i/e a year or two.... 360 should/will be on top.

Just hearing people around my school saying stuff about PS3 and 360, 360 seems to be favored. And remember....I think it would be safe to say most gamers are young kids... probably teenage years....and we don't have 600$ to spend on a system.

IMO... 360 is a great system and 400$.
PS3 could be really great.... but still 1.5 times more $ than 360.

I am not totally bashing PS3.... I have a PS2 and it like it..... but I already got a 360... why drop 600$ on a system I practically have?
Old 05/11/2006, 06:38 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jordan55
IMO I just don't see PS3 doing very very well. Atleast not better than 360. They may have their hot times, but I think at the end of it all, i/e a year or two.... 360 should/will be on top.

Just hearing people around my school saying stuff about PS3 and 360, 360 seems to be favored. And remember....I think it would be safe to say most gamers are young kids... probably teenage years....and we don't have 600$ to spend on a system.

IMO... 360 is a great system and 400$.
PS3 could be really great.... but still 1.5 times more $ than 360.

I am not totally bashing PS3.... I have a PS2 and it like it..... but I already got a 360... why drop 600$ on a system I practically have?
Halo 3 will be the main seller for the 360 ,but they are getting some good games but those are all PC ports.

The thing about the Playstation consoles is the 3rd party suport.
Thats why the PS2 did so good is because the varity of games to play and I see the PS3 getting the same support,but Nintendo is wanting MORE 3rd party support and their console the Wii is cheaper to develop for. I still see the PS3 coming out on top this gen but the 360 will be harder to overtake than the xbox was.

BUT DONT COUNT OUT THE Wii.
Old 05/11/2006, 08:20 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
This statement holds no bearing because the PS3 isnt even OUT YET . Its like saying MGS4 is the best game ever!. How would you know? its not even released yet and that means you havent played it yet.
I have faith in sony and other developers that biult the ps3 to give me a product I can have fun with. I do not feel the same with microsoft. It usually takes the end user to fix the final bugs.
My Turbo Honda -> Click little red house.
Friends don't let friends buy from Front Range Aquatics
Old 05/11/2006, 10:14 PM
404 errors turn me on

PS3=metal gear/gta (gta is crap IMO) and japanese rpgs
xbox 360=fps and fantastic online
Wii=inventive games (I've got a mental image of thousands of fat kids getting red in the face on christmas morning after swinging around the controller for an hour)
Basically it depends on the type of gamer you are but please don't make jokes like "Socom 3 is a great shooter" please get out of town.

Jordan55 the average age of a gamer is 30 not "probably teenage years".

In the end if one stealth shooter and turn based rpgs (turn based is pretty awful in my opinion) justify $600 go for it I'll be enjoying myself on a on a unified online system.
Old 05/12/2006, 07:09 AM
intergalatic hitchhiker

Quote:
Halo 3 will be the main seller for the 360 ,but they are getting some good games but those are all PC ports.

The thing about the Playstation consoles is the 3rd party suport.
Thats why the PS2 did so good is because the varity of games to play and I see the PS3 getting the same support,but Nintendo is wanting MORE 3rd party support and their console the Wii is cheaper to develop for. I still see the PS3 coming out on top this gen but the 360 will be harder to overtake than the xbox was.

a good deal of 3rd party support refused to sign exclusivity contracts this time around with Sony - Rockstar is putting out GTA4 for both systems, and oh, it comes out in October, and PS3 comes out in November...haha.
The Final Fantasy series is another example- IIRC they have one last game to fill their contract with Sony exclusively- previous FF games are being released to the 360 already.

All that aside, most reviews for the PS3 have been medicore at best - thats not saying its not an impressive system, but given the price tag, and lack of fulfillment(no Dual HDMI outputs, 2x BluRay instead of 12x, etc) and the loss of the Dual Shock, people arent as happy as they should be over it - heck, even MGS4, wont be released until Fall/Winter 2007...

Old 05/13/2006, 12:48 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Even if they are PC ports, for most people the games are going to look a LOT better on their HDTVs than on their less than top of the line gaming computer. I spent $400 on my video card alone and Oblivion looks much better on my 360
Old 05/13/2006, 02:51 PM
my member is registered.

Quote:
Originally posted by tkeracer619

I have faith in sony and other developers that biult the ps3 to give me a product I can have fun with. I do not feel the same with microsoft. It usually takes the end user to fix the final bugs.
Dont get me wrong, im sure the PS3 will be a fine gaming console if you can afford it. Im just saying, to say something owns or is the best before it is even on the market and competing with other consoles makes no sense. Also i loved MGS series for playstation, how ever i have to say MGS3 was a big dissappointment. And BTW my XBOX360 has been one excellent and reliable gaming machine.
Old 05/13/2006, 03:29 PM
Registered Member

I think its funny that you say xbox has nothing but pc ports now.... if you look at it... all the pc game makers are now making games for XBOX 360 and then porting them over to the PC..

Top selling pc games being ported to the xbox 360 is a blessing for a person like me... I can't afford to buy a $600 graphic card every year..... I will however buy a $400 console that should last me 3-5 years....

and xbox-live is sweet.... I proably play the xbox live arcade more than my games.....

Geometry wars is amazing... we are also getting games like Street fighter 2, mortal kombat and more.....

I know what your going to say I have those games on my old system.... but do you have achievments? can you play online with live chat? and does it keep stats and rank you WORLD WIDE........

Nobody mentioned the one thing I like about the ps3 thier online service is free....

and there has been rumors going that xbox live will now have ads and be totally free by the end of this year..... that will be sweet......

carry on...